Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 19:14   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

I may have missed the engine part. My point was just that I am moved enough to do my part for you.

I would suggest that you go to the dealer and take the number of the regional manager and press for a replacement. Yours makes a genuine case too. If it is withing 10K, then such a big repair in such less time is really too much.
devarshi84 is offline  
Old 21st August 2009, 19:37   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Not a guru, but for normal car this works. Here, some users have mentioned that they had faced similar situation Octavia and the was simply not responding. So, here ECU can also be one of the culprits and so the engine did not start. This is my version. Would love to see if others are able to throw some light on this.
Agreed, if the ECU is malfunctioning, the engine not starting is logical...

However, the dealer has told the OP that they are importing and replacing the gear box...

Is the car an A/T by any chance?
AbhiJ is offline  
Old 21st August 2009, 20:03   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

I think all Superbs are AT only. ECU may be doing a gearbox check before starting and in case of a gearbox malfunction, it will not let the engine start. The protection is good in theory.

I will suggest that the owner should press for a complete refund or replacement with a brand new car as other damages to the car's other systems (due to this malfunction) cant be checked. Let Skoda give the repaired car to one of their Directors / Senior Management and let us see if they are brave enough to drive it.
akj53 is offline  
Old 21st August 2009, 20:19   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 51
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

having read somwhere in audi's webste that the 1.8 tsi engine requires 93 octane petrol and superb having the same engine can there be a problem regarding that.
having gone through horrible experience of owning a fabia 1.4 mpi i understand your grief. my car has been swapped witha new fabia tdi . so if you need any information on contacting skoda offcials you can gwt in touch with me. anyways skoda has got a corporate office here in gurgaon and u can visit there to get in touch with higher officials, that was how i got my car exchanged.hope this helps.
mayank123 is offline  
Old 21st August 2009, 21:12   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I am sorry for the owner. Like DGCA, TRAI, TDSAT we need some legal system to give fast justice for cars cases like this. Unfortunately ARAI do not have authority, else they would have tested product for the defect and GOI tribunal could order SKODA to replace car and also charge big penalty for providing such product. I think RTO can vouch for this and give certificate the car is defective.
I am not sure who can order skoda to replace. I think apart from court, someone else should have this authority.
I am listening to all SKODA issues many times, not sure why people buy it.
The best solution is skoda returns money with interest. Selling car is nothing but pushing your issues to someone else. Car needs to scrapped, need to go to dumping station, something like Scrap Car USA - Junk Vehicle Disposal
If it stops on Eway like Pune- Mumbai it will kill all occupants and also occupants in other car/ truck, who will hit.

If someone steals the car, then owner will get money from insurance without much problem.
I am sorry, may be too stupid but I will suggest to get away from it. Life is more important.
Take care....
next time buy Maruti, Tata, Mahindra, Toyota but never buy SKODA, VW.
thanks buddy for raising my point that is safety what if this had happened on a highway. surely I would not be there to tell you all this
can we all send a mail so as to this feeling to skoda
gagananand is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:15   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Can the media help in these situations and bring the situation in the public domain?. Or , is there anyway the public and/or T-bhp members can sign a petition and present it to SIAM and other Govt./Regulatory authorities. There must be some way we can help other than depending on the legal system. This is the least we can do to alleviate the agony these guys must be going through. Why are there no such threads in other Indian automotive forums, though?. I hope a solution is found that is satisfactory to all concerned.
nickatnite is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:07   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
having read somwhere in audi's webste that the 1.8 tsi engine requires 93 octane petrol and superb having the same engine can there be a problem regarding that.
having gone through horrible experience of owning a fabia 1.4 mpi i understand your grief. my car has been swapped witha new fabia tdi . so if you need any information on contacting skoda offcials you can gwt in touch with me. anyways skoda has got a corporate office here in gurgaon and u can visit there to get in touch with higher officials, that was how i got my car exchanged.hope this helps.
Mayank you are a lucky man, how long and hard was the struggle to get the replacement?

The Audi's 1.8 is the same engine but in a higher tune hence it may require 93 octane. However the superb is detuned to 160bhp, which I guess make's it compliant with regular unleaded.
Sahil is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:11   #83
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Attention Tech Gurus...

Somebody riddle me this... If the gearbox is faulty, why wont the engine start?

Even if the gearbox is stuck in one gear, once the clutch is depressed, the engine should start... right??
My freind first I want to tell you that as this is an automatic gear car could not start it without moving to P mode. More so when the skoda assiatance team came armed with their scanner the scanner detected 3 errors
1. electrical system failure
2. Gear Bog Failure
3. Power steering failure

I suppose as there was an electrical failure the car would not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Agreed, if the ECU is malfunctioning, the engine not starting is logical...

However, the dealer has told the OP that they are importing and replacing the gear box...

Is the car an A/T by any chance?
yes it is an automatic 1.8 petrol

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd August 2009 at 19:18.
gagananand is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:41   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Friends I would like to share my feelings about this defective car. That I am not willing to drive this defective car anymore even if skoda gives me an extended warranty or maintainence free package as suggested by few fellow Bhp-ians. I will never or rather no one would ever risk the life of family for money, whatsoever amount it might be. I have small children aged 6 and 10. I have seen their faces when our car stalled in middle of the road. I had no answer. We were in middle of road in middle of night in delhi luckily not on a highway. My son who is 6 started crying as he was scared. My children or for that matter even I have not seen such a thing happen even when we used to drive good old Fiats and ambassadors.

The service centre was changing the gear box yesterday. Was not allowed to click photgraphs of the work being executed but still managed to get certain snaps.
will post the same ASAP for you guys to see and then press for a case of replcement or refund with skoda
gagananand is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:20   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

May be we can file petition. PetitionOnline.com - Free Online Petition Hosting
mrkanitkar is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:26   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
well thanks but do you know that this applicable to the indian scene
gagananand is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:35   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Firstly extremely sorry to hear about your car.

It's sad to know that such a high tech car is mishandled by the workshop. I have a Fabia 1.4 tdi and a laura 1.9 tdi in family and after trying various dealer workshop have learnt onething not all workshop are technically sound. Some of them are not able to rectify even smallest of problems. I have heard and come crossed many owners who come down with some issues and they are asked to leave their cars for days even if it could be minor problem.
Skoda is one car where if there is any minor problem with any sensor reading or so if would either send the car to limp mode where the drivable power is reduced or it either shuts down for safety reason. I have experience a limp mode where I had reduced power as there was a minor airleak and the MAF (air) sensor detected and send it to the limp mode after rectifying and deleting the error through the ECM diagnostic module the power was back online.

In your case if the problem is genuinely the gearbox I say you should be insisting on getting a new car rather than replacing that DSG 7 speed gearbox which runs on dry clutch as compared to the DSG 6 speed which has a wet clutch.
DSG 7 speed gearbox seems more expensive than the 6 speed version. Plus the work would be carried out by the workshop guys under the supervision of one the tech Supervisor from Aurangabad, Factory who may or may not come down to see that the work is being carried out. And honestly I don't think the workshop are all that trained or technically sound to carry out such a job.
As I have experienced few of them here I can tell you they definitely lack some diagnostic knowledge. I have experienced it myself they try to show where could be problem when there is an issue with my car when the problem is related to something else.
Skoda Aurangabad is more or less the same, it's their attitude that sucks, they always try to put the blame on customers, when you call them they would take every detail and check with the dealer reg the problem and than try to go deep into just to find out if the owner could have done something wrong or not so that it gets easier for them to get rid of the situation.

I say you right to Autocar or Chairperson/MD at Skoda, the tech. supervisor are of no help.
Invinsible is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:44   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: delhi
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Firstly extremely sorry to hear about your car.

It's sad to know that such a high tech car is mishandled by the workshop. I have a Fabia 1.4 tdi and a laura 1.9 tdi in family and after trying various dealer workshop have learnt onething not all workshop are technically sound. Some of them are not able to rectify even smallest of problems. I have heard and come crossed many owners who come down with some issues and they are asked to leave their cars for days even if it could be minor problem.
Skoda is one car where if there is any minor problem with any sensor reading or so if would either send the car to limp mode where the drivable power is reduced or it either shuts down for safety reason. I have experience a limp mode where I had reduced power as there was a minor airleak and the MAF (air) sensor detected and send it to the limp mode after rectifying and deleting the error through the ECM diagnostic module the power was back online.

In your case if the problem is genuinely the gearbox I say you should be insisting on getting a new car rather than replacing that DSG 7 speed gearbox which runs on dry clutch as compared to the DSG 6 speed which has a wet clutch.
DSG 7 speed gearbox seems more expensive than the 6 speed version. Plus the work would be carried out by the workshop guys under the supervision of one the tech Supervisor from Aurangabad, Factory who may or may not come down to see that the work is being carried out. And honestly I don't think the workshop are all that trained or technically sound to carry out such a job.
As I have experienced few of them here I can tell you they definitely lack some diagnostic knowledge. I have experienced it myself they try to show where could be problem when there is an issue with my car when the problem is related to something else.
Skoda Aurangabad is more or less the same, it's their attitude that sucks, they always try to put the blame on customers, when you call them they would take every detail and check with the dealer reg the problem and than try to go deep into just to find out if the owner could have done something wrong or not so that it gets easier for them to get rid of the situation.

I say you right to Autocar or Chairperson/MD at Skoda, the tech. supervisor are of no help.
Thanks buddy but I have sent numerous mails to Skoda India MD Mr. Thomas Kuehl and also to their Global head at chez head office. They don't seem to be bothered. They dont reply. Have talked to their service head etc but i agree with you they have typical arrogant attitude wherin they can never be at fault. Even after so much has happened to the car they feel this life threatning fault is normal.?
gagananand is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:54   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

However the superb is detuned to 160bhp, which I guess make's it compliant with regular unleaded.
I just got my Fabia 1.4tdi from the service yesterday. I was there in the evening for 2 hours, just to check each and every issue is solved or not. The workshop manager pointed out a Fabia 1.2 petrol to me which had come down with stalled engine. Reason well it's seems the owner had been using unleaded fuel, the car 6 months old, had a choked fuel pump, injectors, engine had lot of carbon.
Now it could be due to bad fuel quality or it could be lack of maintenance. As per the works manager the owner was first complaining of drop in power, may be coz of the the engine going in limp mode, and finally the engine gave up completely. Anyways the necessary steps were taken by changing the fuel pump, cleaning injector, spark plugs, inlet manifold (din't understand why they needed to clean this) and by flushing the engine.

Finally in the end I get to learn that even the 1.2L engine needs a high octane fuel atleast 93 if not 97, and if nothing speed petrol should be used.
As far as I know 1.2L is not a very compression engine and why would it need a 97 octane fuel. I checked my manual and online specs to find out that skoda petrol engines are not detuned for our indian fuel condition. The specs are similar to the one in Europe, whether it is fabia or Superb they all share the same specs. I suppose that's where the problem is. Audi 1.8/2.0 petrol is slightly detuned where as the Superb with 160Hp uses a different turbo compared to the Audi engine thus produces 160hp and is available in same state of tune as it does in Europe. I suppose Skoda hasn't realise that the high octane fuel is available only in selected cities, selected places and not every part of city or country. No wonder they don't feel the need to make changes to the ECU as per the standard octane fuel and that's what is hitting their petrol engines badly. No doubt they are one of the best petrol engines around but they just can't run on our regular unleaded fuel.

Last edited by Invinsible : 22nd August 2009 at 13:56.
Invinsible is offline  
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:18   #90
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,847
Thanked: 7,246 Times
Default

If an Skoda engineer claims that any fault is due to unleaded fule, ask them to tell you when leaded fuel was last available in Europe!
Thad E Ginathom is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon India order messed up due to sales tax issues - Now refunded Sankar Shifting gears 44 10th June 2014 14:16
Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe Abhinav667 The International Automotive Scene 59 15th January 2014 21:17
Black Lightning: My Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI DSG-UPDATE: DSG box replaced! Swanand Inamdar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 130 10th September 2012 13:01
New Skoda Superb 2009 Breakdown. EDIT : Car being replaced by Skoda rohitioc The Indian Car Scene 140 2nd January 2011 12:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks