Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should drivers be retested regularly after the age of 70?
Yes 14 53.85%
No 3 11.54%
Moot point, driver testing by RTO is a farce 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 14:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

I believe that physical and mental fitness to drive does not necessarily decrease in proportion to the advancement of age of a person. So, I voted for 'Yes'.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:56   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

I am wondering whether some joker in TOI wants to float the idea.

They have had a few stupid ones in the past -I remember two. 1. painting half glass black, illegal and useless. 2. very recent on fog driving where the box had nothing to do with the text including, a. Use low beam and then, next point, use night dippier (how do the differ sure beats me), and switch on hazard lights (outright wrong and stupid, this had nothing to do with the article).
Old 19th January 2010, 18:56   #93

Why not leave the decision on the driver himself. If the driver is not comfident, he/she wont take the steer coz the driver loves his life too.

I saw a video on YouTube, an 83 year old man was drifting a Lamborghini. Howwzzat!!
Who would you stop!
Old 19th January 2010, 23:09   #94

I am going for Yes because some hard car enthusiastic will want to drive till his end so util he/she is fit he/she can drive.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:14   #95

Prohibiting people above a certain age from driving is totally inappropriate. The government could bring in a huge improvement in driving conditions by
1) Enforcing lane discipline
2) Prohibiting under age drivers - yes, this is a really big group and I would think bigger than elderly drivers.
Old 20th January 2010, 02:47   #96

People should not be licensed for ever. Every 5 years there should be a mandatory driving fitness test. Ability to see, ability to read, & mental stability. It used to be a 20 year term in the 90s (My license expires next year). As it is the cops can find 10 different law infringements every time they stop. Window tint is too dark, headlight not covered with half black, RTO notified of address change, smog check cirt, aftermarket lights, exhaust, reverse music etc. Lets not add birth certificate, or age check to this and have cops stop every other senior citizen. How many deaths/accidents are caused by senior citizens Vs drunk teenagers?

First lets keep the drunk kids walking out of the pubs/bars from driving. Some cars are so heavily tinted, underage kids are convinced they can never be seen/noticed.

Last edited by prasadee : 20th January 2010 at 02:51.
Closed Thread