Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th July 2005, 17:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Scandal-hit VW 'halts India plan'

....and they thought europeans were squeaky clean and asians had dirty hands.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4648187.stm
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
....and they thought europeans were squeaky clean and asians had dirty hands.........
Dont worry - they'll keep searching high and low for an asian or african connection that 'corrupted' the exalted european mentality.

Remember - we are corrupt and they merely "facilitate commerce".
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:33   #3
BHPian

I dont think VW will shoot itself in the foot by postponing the india plant building, for too long.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
I dont think VW will shoot itself in the foot by postponing the india plant building, for too long.
Thats true. Lets hope that they resolve the issue fast and we get to see newer models on road.

Last edited by Sush : 4th July 2005 at 17:44.
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 18:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dont worry - they'll keep searching high and low for an asian or african connection that 'corrupted' the exalted european mentality.

Remember - we are corrupt and they merely "facilitate commerce".
So much for German efficiency!!! When I was in my school days, one of my teachers used to refer to the british who ruled us and quote thus: "w***e skin is very adacious". I am no racist mind you, but just got reminded of that quote. It is always easy to find a scapegoat, especially from countries where corruption is rampant.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 12:00   #6
BHPian

yesterday only, i was pondering as to whether VW would come down to india....coz it' subsidary skoda is already present in india and doing well.....seems like we aint gonna get VW in the near future....

dont know why these firms make such a fuss when it comes to india.......even the market in pakistan has more options than us indians
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 12:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
.......even the market in pakistan has more options than us indians
Do they, really? I have hosted a Pakistani in India, a partner at a top consulting firm from Dubai. He belongs to Karachi and he was quite taken aback by the choice of vehicles we have here. He was also floored when told that 99% of these vehicles are actualy MADE in India.

He was a vehicle nut as well, and we drove around in quite a few vehicles for him to understand how well these 'made in india' vehicles were. Suffice it to say he didnt find any noticeable difference in quality levels from those available in the markets abroad. He even wanted to know if he could export a Safari since he found that phenomenally comfortable.

In Pakistan I believe they mostly make do with 2nd hand imported vehicles and Suzuki cars. The grass always seems greener on the other side, mate...have some pride in your country.
Old 5th July 2005, 12:36   #8
BHPian

yes..i agree they get nd hand imports n stuff......but it is a lot easier in pak to get one imported..be it new or old....and indian govt....dunno what the f***, sky high duties..and now...extra tax on 2nd car....

Last edited by BuRnT RuBbEr : 5th July 2005 at 12:39.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 12:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
......but it is a lot easier in pak to get one imported..be it new or old....and indian govt....dunno what the f***, sky high duties..
Thats why we make cars and they make do with somebody else's leftovers. I hope it stays that way - this market is big enough for manufacturers to set up shop and MAKE cars instead of sending us cars made elsewhere. Skoda - are ya listenin?