Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th August 2009, 19:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Whatever they do, I hope they name it something else. We all know what happens when a nice new product retains an older unsuccessful name.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 20:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think this can definitel;y get some good traction if the engine is good (188HP from 2 Litre) and its reasonably priced. Waiting for it to land here so can do a TD.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 20:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
(pics taken from Carscoop via Hyundai's Korea website)
Hyundai design is back at taking inspirations eh. The rear looks so much like the Nissan Murano.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 21:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!

It looks absolutely stunning!

Exteriors are like a 100% improved over the current Tucson.

If Hyundai India doesn't alter anything(exteriors and interiors) then this'll certainly blow away the competition!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 21:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Can we move this thread to the international car section as there's no sign of this vehicle coming to India in the near future?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Engine options seem good , looks ugly .
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 20:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Whoa!

It looks absolutely stunning!

Exteriors are like a 100% improved over the current Tucson.

If Hyundai India doesn't alter anything(exteriors and interiors) then this'll certainly blow away the competition!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Engine options seem good , looks ugly .
mixed reactions. thats what hyundai is good for.tucson goes the same way.how typical.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 21:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Interiors remind me of the new Ford Fiesta (UK).
I for one don't think this car is practical. Looks like a grown up hatch, 5 seater, and given the specs, will have lots of turbo lag, like all of their new diesels.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 22:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

My answer is NO. Hyundai lacks the brand image of Toyota and Honda. The fortuner is offering a reasonably good deal, and going up against Toyota is something Hyundai cannot succeed at. An example is Sonata, it was quite good itself and even after the upgraded interiors and diesel, Sonata could not succeed. Right now it is cheaper than Accord/Camry even in diesel format, but is not selling well.

Second thing is that the looks are too much copied from other manufacturers. The originality is not there. Suzuki, Tata, Honda, Toyota have some originality in design, but the cars from Hyundai are not having this. This leads to a design that is not as long lasting as it should be ( IMHO ). This might also put off many buyers.
The SUV in India sell due to their presence and not MPV looks. This car does not have that presence and rather looks like a corssover or pumped up MPV.

This car will only sell in Rs. 10-12 lakh, otherwise not. Hyundai cannot afford to put this car in premium segment and expect success.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 08:26   #40
BHPian

Looks fast, standing still. On whether it will sell in India, depends entirely on the route Hyundai takes. Bringing it in as CBU, will make it more expensive and I hope Hyundai has learnt from its past mishaps, the Terracan and the previous gen Tucson. The least they should attempt is the CKD mode and assemble the car here. To be a hit, target should be a max of 15L on-road all inclusive for the top-end model.

That will undercut all the current PSUVs (Pseudo-SUVs) by a neat margin and that in itself will be an achievement.

Last edited by discoverwild : 28th August 2009 at 08:27.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:26   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic looking (though it has traces of Mitsubishi & Ford design philosophy), did I tell you guys I love Hyundai's new designs?

Whether it will success in India or not depends, not on the product, but Hyundai's marketing division. I'm one of the few that think the previous gen Tucson was also a fantastic machine. Great onroad behaviour, peppy diesel and decent space. It was Hyundai's shoddy handling of the Tucson that led to its failure. Absolute no marketing, car never available for testdrives, zero visibility. How can you ever expect a 20 lakh product to sell?

And, as Samurai posted, the Fortuner has set the new benchmark for the 20 lakh SUV segment. Hyundai would need to work real hard to crack the code.
Further to my previous post, here is what I think Hyundai should do.

Everyone knows that the margin on a 20 lakh car runs into a couple of lakhs (if built here). I say, Hyundai should start assembling the new Tucson here, price it at 14.0 lakhs (that's 4 lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner) and watch the counters roll.

1. Effective marketing will see the car generating reasonable demand.

2. Hyundai isn't a premium manufacturer, nor can it sell premium cars, and its about time they get it. Selling a competitive SUV at 20 - 25% less than the market leader will only establish Hyundai's value perspective further.

Plus, it will increase the market's acceptability of 15 lakh rupee Hyundais....a strength that can only aid the cause of future (and larger) Hyundai cars.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:22   #42
BHPian

Tucson is not a direct competitor to Fortuner, upcoming SANTA FE is.

Except for extreme off-roading skills (which majority of Indians would never engage in). SANTA FE has better Engine, Interiors, Safety and Road Manners. Fortuner has an edge in looks but that's subjective. If in some near future, SANTA FE can be assembled in India and Hyundai can plonk in their "R" series diesel beast and retail at around 18, it could dislodge Fortuner.

Unless and until, Hyundai, Maruti Suzuki, Honda don't assemble their models here, it would be impossible for them to challenge Fortuner. Low volumes excuses just won't cut it.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:25   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai to launch Santa Fe next year: Rediff Business News, Latest India business news, India Economy news, World Business, Finance news, Latest business headlines, business videos and business articles.

"We will be bringing in the Santa Fe to India by next year and we also hope to bring our smaller car than Santro [ Images ], which will be an 800 cc vehicle, by 2011," Hyundai Motor India managing director H S Lheem told reporters on the sideline of the
SIAM annual convention in New Delhi"
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

well said!
perceived segmentation as per my decoding

Tata - Value
Mahindra - Value + Midprice Premium (MAX)
GM - viewed in general with mis-trust (i dont think they can truly upgrade themselves to Premium and sell numbers, given the competition they have - only exception being Captiva and perhaps the new Cruze but somehow there is a "lack" of the emotion driven desirability factor)
Suzuki - Value + Mid-price Premium (MAX)
Hyundai - Value + Mid-price Premium (MAX)
Ford - Value + Midprice Premium (MAX)
Toyota - Mid-price Premium to Premium (Innova, Altis) to Premium Plus (Fortuner, Camry) Super Premium (Prado + LandCruiser)
Honda - Premium, Premium Plus
Skoda - Premium, Premium Plus
VW - Premium Plus to Super Premium
Fiat - Should operate in the Value + Midprice Premium (relevant) Premium & Premium Plus for Fiat is irrelevant in terms of numbers done
Nissan - Should operate in the Midprice Premium segment - they cannot be considered Premium or Premium Plus.

in short too many players are playing around in the Premium and Premium Plus segments when they should be focussing clearly on the Value and Midprice Premium segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Further to my previous post, here is what I think Hyundai should do.

Everyone knows that the margin on a 20 lakh car runs into a couple of lakhs (if built here). I say, Hyundai should start assembling the new Tucson here, price it at 14.0 lakhs (that's 4 lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner) and watch the counters roll.

1. Effective marketing will see the car generating reasonable demand.

2. Hyundai isn't a premium manufacturer, nor can it sell premium cars, and its about time they get it. Selling a competitive SUV at 20 - 25% less than the market leader will only establish Hyundai's value perspective further.

Plus, it will increase the market's acceptability of 15 lakh rupee Hyundais....a strength that can only aid the cause of future (and larger) Hyundai cars.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:32   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
well said!
perceived segmentation as per my decoding

Tata - Value
Mahindra - Value + Midprice Premium (MAX)
GM - viewed in general with mis-trust (i dont think they can truly upgrade themselves to Premium and sell numbers, given the competition they have - only exception being Captiva and perhaps the new Cruze but somehow there is a "lack" of the emotion driven desirability factor)
Suzuki - Value + Mid-price Premium (MAX)
Hyundai - Value + Mid-price Premium (MAX)
Ford - Value + Midprice Premium (MAX)
Toyota - Mid-price Premium to Premium (Innova, Altis) to Premium Plus (Fortuner, Camry) Super Premium (Prado + LandCruiser)
Honda - Premium, Premium Plus
Skoda - Premium, Premium Plus
VW - Premium Plus to Super Premium
Fiat - Should operate in the Value + Midprice Premium (relevant) Premium & Premium Plus for Fiat is irrelevant in terms of numbers done
Nissan - Should operate in the Midprice Premium segment - they cannot be considered Premium or Premium Plus.

in short too many players are playing around in the Premium and Premium Plus segments when they should be focussing clearly on the Value and Midprice Premium segments.
You should add one more things to it; quality.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote