Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th October 2012, 12:07   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Red face Re: Volkswagen's Future (US) Product Strategy Revealed - and what it means for us

Not sure though, i believe that the European R&D costs are much Higher as their investment cost is high. The process of R&D is different from what Japs do. As the investment is high, the Cost of vehicle would go UP.

The Idea of selling more cars is one of the very good idea, as they can earn more in the process of service, spares and other stuff. But i believe in this whole process, they would be loosing their goodwill. because European cars tend to fail. Its proven, when compared to their counterparts esp japnese.

The reason being, today, only those who are more inclined towards european cars would go any buy a VW but, with this change common people who are not too into internals would be entering VW customer base. Those who used Jap cars will feel that VW is good, but in the long run they might feel otherwise, despite of increased sales, they might end up paying more in the long run, unless it is taken seriously and by offering Flawless products which can withstand the real life abuse.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen's Future (US) Product Strategy Revealed - and what it means for us

More on the VW low cost sub brand revealed.

1. Launch by 2015
2. Price range 5000 -10000 Euros
3. Minivan, Wagon and Sedan
4. Intended market - BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) & Eu (Western)
5. Sub brand will be built using older engine and platform technology and cars
will be offered without extras including airbags and air conditioning, to help
shave costs
6. Will be below VW - UP
7. Decision yet to be taken.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...15-sources-say

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th October 2012 at 21:21.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 23:49   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen's Future (US) Product Strategy Revealed - and what it means for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

5. Sub brand will be built using older engine and platform technology and cars
will be offered without extras including airbags and air conditioning, to help
shave costs

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...15-sources-say

Seriously Government should impose a law on mandating ABS and Airbags. Enough of cost cutting for Indian peoples by removing the safety things.
prakasse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 08:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

Fellow Mod Mpower and myself were having this very interesting discussion a week ago when I was in the US.

We were comparing the strategy that VW is following in US vs Ford.

Where VW have begun to understand the american market, Ford is kind of losing it's plot.

There are a lot more new Jettas and Passat's seen on the road these days compared to before primarily because of VW's strategy.

VW is now having different versions of the Jetta and Passat in the US vs single platform for europe and USA. The Jetta in US is a cut down version of the European one to compete with the Corolla and Civic and the same goes with the Passat. Suspension is simpler and overall quality is a notch below but still better than Civic and Corolla. The new Jetta also has class leading space, a major factor in the US market.

In comparison, Ford has decided the opposite. They have gone to VW's older strategy of same cars for US and Europe. Earlier they had different version of Focus and Fusion but now the Eurpoean Focus and European Mondeo (Fusion in US) are the same.

I drove a Focus in the US this time and it just felt very european. The suspension was stiff like the euros and space was at a premium unlike the Jetta, Corolla, Civic and new Elantra. Back seat passengers were complaining most of the time.

Same goes for the new Fusion. Most of the initial reviews mention that the Fusion has lesser space than the Camry and Corolla.

Fords are good to drive but in US, large cars are the norm. Deviating from this may not actually be the best thing for Ford.

It's very strange to see 2 big manufacturers adopt different strategies. VW going from same cars for US and Europe to different models like what Ford used to do and Ford doing exactly the opposite.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

VW moves forward with budget cars!

The move actually gathered pace once VW and Suzuki fell apart and now this 'nameless' 13th brand in the VW Group has been given the green light.

Quote:
Work has already begun on developing a slew of cars which would start from around the 6000 mark using past platforms already having been amortised double or triple fold in the VW Group. Word has is that the PQ24/25/35 platforms that underpinned the earlier Polos and Fabias would be the ones which would lend themselves to being kitted out for the price killer segments according top expel within the know in the VW Group.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16913614.cms
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:55   #21
BHPian

Dear Bhpians and VW fans out there !!! News to share , for which I would be looking forward - VW came up with concept Mini SUV revealed ahead of Sao Paulo !!! I feel - it is the best a man can get(of course if it is with < 12 L budget ) - Sorry purely IMO. (too Excited to see this !!!)

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/10/v...head-of-reveal

Courtesy: Indianautosblog.com
Veels n Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here is something that could do well in India if VW brings it - Pretty much in the Ecosport category. but a tad smaller. They should aim to price this maximum at the Polo level as this is based on the Up.
The Taigun concept
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:54   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post
Dear Bhpians and VW fans out there !!! News to share , for which I would be looking forward - VW came up with concept Mini SUV revealed ahead of Sao Paulo !!! I feel - it is the best a man can get(of course if it is with < 12 L budget ) - Sorry purely IMO. (too Excited to see this !!!)

OMG This looks much better than what the Duster is..
Its almost impossible to price it < 10 lakhs. I feel so. The quality is top notch. atleast in photos.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 00:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post

Guess we posted the same item within a minute of each other
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote