Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Will the new Sonata finally gets the success it deserved?
Yes 79 60.31%
No 52 39.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th September 2009, 14:31   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hyundai have the problem of being identified with cheap and cheerful cars. I have a feeling that they may be better off with a new and upmarket label for the higher end cars - like Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura, Lexus ...
I agree. The Hyundai brand too will get some of the rub off image similar to what Lexus did for Toyota.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

sonata unfortunately is no longer an aspirational brand for any of the target segment of consumers that they would like to get
Old 8th September 2009, 18:14   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
sonata unfortunately is no longer an aspirational brand for any of the target segment of consumers that they would like to get
Good point, Shankar. The market will always see "Sonata" as a dud, and not really attach any aspirational value to that name (V IMP for a 15 lakh car). Simplest solution = Rebrand to something that sounds plush.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

The new Sonata's aggressive styling and hopefully aggressive pricing(?!) is sure to draw customers.
But the Accord's certainly going to give it nightmares.More so if the diesel Accord is launched.
And I agree with GTO,they should change the nomenclature to Genesis or something!
Old 9th September 2009, 02:10   #50
BHPian

If the above version is launched in India, it will be very tough to iglore.

Beware, laura & accord
Old 15th November 2009, 17:25   #51
vij
BHPian

Damn it! This is the car! Its looks bit too agressive, but a beautiful car nevertheless.
Will it be released in India by next year?

The current Sonata looks like junk compared to this. Hyundai has gone for broke this time and designed a killer. wish they could get this into India in the first quarter and price it 18L OTR for the diesel AT. Re-branding will help this car's cause a lot too.

Last edited by vij : 15th November 2009 at 17:34.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

It makes sense to re-brand the car as I-40 which they plan to do in Europe.

I expect the car by september 2010 here but first things first: Hyundai's dealer standards have fallen from bad to worse and I have been receiving many complaints of dealer arrogance from many of my friends who own Hyundais.

Hyundai needs to drastically improve its A.S.S. standards and make it more customer centric if they want to succeed big time in the future.

Anyhow, I will ever buy another Hyundai again for my personal use, such is the disgusted image it has created on me.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:52   #53
vij
BHPian

Calling this an i-40 will make it look like i20's brother and I am not sure that will be good.
It needs an upmarket name.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:24   #54
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If Hyundai prices the sonata diesel bang against the cruze diesel i would say that it would do decent numbers. Any higher and its a disaster!
Old 16th November 2009, 06:54   #55
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If Hyundai prices the sonata diesel bang against the cruze diesel i would say that it would do decent numbers. Any higher and its a disaster!
Then it would no longer be a D segmeter
I think that car might have potential at the current Sonata prices. If the diesel AT is priced a lakh below the Honda Accord (petrol), it would do great!

I hope they dont stall its launch.

Last edited by vij : 16th November 2009 at 07:03.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:46   #56
BHPian

Looks more like a mix of Merc CLS and Passat CC from the side profile, but she looks great, also liked the rear. Not so great looking from the front though. Would be interesting if launched in India. But i doubt it will be a success coz of the small car maker image that Hyundai has in India..

Last edited by cadaver_prad : 16th November 2009 at 11:50.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:12   #57
BANNED

Some interior pictures of the 2010 Sonata - Quiet impressive i would say. Also attached some exterior profiles too (images courtesy - google image search). And of course its the LH drive since its from the international market. One needs to wait for the indian version to launch to see how much of this it will carry home to india.
Attached Images

Last edited by srikanths1 : 16th November 2009 at 12:15.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

I've voted in favour of the poll question. I've driven a friend's Embera for hundreds of Kilometers and found it to have the best driving seat among all car's I have driven this far---one can drive for miles and miles without any discomfort. The electrical adjustment of the driver's seat is simply great.

I also found the engine very responsive, and though the steering is not as tight as my Fiesta's, it does firm up at higher speeds and does not feel disconnected at those speeds.

With the improved interiors, I am sure it will find a bigger clientele---the Embera's interiors, esp the dash were a big let down. If it is priced below 15 lacs, then I think people will go for it instead of spending 7 to 8 lacs more on the Accord.

I do agree that the new grill looks similar to the ANHC and Camry.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:16   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
Looks more like a mix of Merc CLS and Passat CC from the side profile, but she looks great, also liked the rear. Not so great looking from the front though. Would be interesting if launched in India. But i doubt it will be a success coz of the small car maker image that Hyundai has in India..
An looking like another car is a reason for failure. copying / look alikes is are never taken kindly by those looking at aspirational value.
Old 16th November 2009, 18:54   #60
Team-BHP Support

Rebranding the car may work well, but whats pulling back the current Sonata is the unwillingness of the dealers to sell the car. The sales team is not equipped to sell the Sonata, they are being given targets to move as many i10's and i20's as possible.
Closed Thread