Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd March 2014, 22:32   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Do we need cruise control in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Well you really need to use it to understand the benefits of cruise control.
A few years back people in India were off the opinion that Automaticss are not meant for Indian conditions, but look at the scenario today. Cruise control will catch up and would be a must in cars in the future.
The New Fiesta was on my hit list mainly due to this feature.
I think you are right. Automatics were laughed off until a few years ago. Like you said, I'm sure cruise control would find more acceptance with passage of time. I'm sure an indian company like M&M is no fool to equip Scorpio with CC. My cousin's friend who often shuttles between Bangalore and Chennai says his Corolla returns phenomenal mileage when on CC. I believe him because when we operate right pedal manually we keep modulating the pressure knowingly or unknowingly and hence fuel consumption increases. Also, i agree that it would provide some relief to right leg. On very long drive I have heard some people complain of knee pain form exerting all that pressue on the go pedal. And lastly, it sounds like many here denounce CC without actually ever using one.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 12:13   #92
BHPian

Used Cruise control heavily while I was in US. I don't miss the automatic though.

Made a mistake by not buying City VMT. I own a SMT.
This is something that I can't go for after-market upgrade as well. I still feel bad on this decision.

Last edited by smartindboy : 4th March 2014 at 12:13. Reason: Added more text
smartindboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 12:41   #93
BHPian

The cruise control is definetly a good feature in the car and hence popular abroad for highway driving. The primary reason for being popular abroad and a pain in india is due to the civic sense we all have while driving. we dont follow speed limits, we dont drive in lanes, we cut lanes, we drive on wrong side, we have our pets/ animals wandering on highways.

If the above are solved definetly cruise control will be a boon helping people in their travel reducing the stress, increasing mileage.
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 12:41   #94
BHPian

I would like to surmise the CC with the old adage "The Proof of Pudding is in the eating" otherwise they are "Sour Grapes".
In good old days of Ambassador and FIAT, drivers would rarely use the Signal Indicators and would prefer sticking out the hand, while today with A/C on and traffic density sticking out the hand has the risk of being sheared away. Comfort in tandem with driving habit would increase the demand for CC in Modern Cars.
kapursaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 13:11   #95
BHPian

I think cruise control is increasingly relevant to Indian roads. Apart from the highway trips where it is extremely useful, I think many of us have toll roads and city 'ring roads' in our daily commute itself and the cruise control can be of use on such daily commutes as well.

One other way I personally find the cruise control feature would be useful, is to maintain a safe (and fuel-efficient) speed...on highways, I tend to speed too much without realizing it and need to keep watching the dials and adjusting down my speed periodically. CC would let one set a safe speed for e.g 80 kmph and stick through it for most of the trip.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 17:16   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a heavy user of CC under just about all conditions, not just cruising on the highway. I will use it in cities as well, just to keep steady pace. I will happily switch it on even for 10 seconds. Hit the brake and it disengages. Hit resume and the CC will re-engage and come back to the originally set speed. just love automation and love playing around with it. next car Im definitely going for an adaptive CC, as Im sure it will give me even more satisfaction. I believe in using every system, every option on a car, plane, boat or whatever I happen to be driving.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:22   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I'm a heavy user of CC under just about all conditions, not just cruising on the highway. I will use it in cities as well, just to keep steady pace.
Can I know what the minimum speed at which the Cruise Control activates?

Does it vary between manufacturers and can it be changed later (minimum speed for activation).

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:32   #98
BHPian

My Scorpio reached 68000kms, I think I wouldn't have exceeded more than 5k in cruise control. On city drive its absolutely useless. On a 4+ lane highways with solid centre median, you can use it.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 11:56   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Do we need cruise control in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can I know what the minimum speed at which the Cruise Control activates?

Does it vary between manufacturers and can it be changed later (minimum speed for activation).

Anurag.

As far as I'm Aware it varies between manufacturers. But it tend to be from 30-50 kilometers upwards.

In theory you might be able to alter the minimum speed but on most cars that will mean fiddling with the electronics beyond wat is recommended. Most systems will also need a minimum speed for the system to work smoothly

It can be different again for after markets systems. I put a CC into my Mercedes W123 myself many years ago and that won't engage below 55 km/h.

This is a very simple CC system whereby you attach a magnet to the prop shaft. With a single pickup coil you need a certain number of RPMs on the shaft for it work properly. In this case technically you set the RPM of the prop shaft not the speed. The speed is the result.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 5th March 2014 at 12:01.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 15:26   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as a FYI, all in Dutch afraid, but here is how you built in your own Cruise Control:

http://www.w123club.nl/post8073.html...0control#p8073

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 18:48   #101
BHPian

What all car options do we have in the current market with CC? I drove the XUV W6 and fell in love with the CC. I have pre-booked Creta, but am thinking to pick something up with CC now. Please advice.
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 19:11   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
What all car options do we have in the current market with CC? I drove the XUV W6 and fell in love with the CC. I have pre-booked Creta, but am thinking to pick something up with CC now. Please advice.
S-Cross, Brezza has cruise control. Even few sedans like City, Vento etc comes with CC.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 19:36   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheapest car with CC is the Polo Highline variant. Like mentioned above S Cross, Brezza, City, Vento, Rapid all come with CC.

If I am not wrong, all the D Segment sedans (Jetta/Octavia types) also come with CC.

While there may be some situations now a days where CC can be useful, I don't think it should be a decision point on the choice of car.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 20:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

While there may be some situations now a days where CC can be useful, I don't think it should be a decision point on the choice of car.
For me, CC kind of turned into a decision point. My highway trips are around 30% of my overall drive. I see lot of people in the forum complaining about resting left leg and go for automatic for city drives, for me it is the reverse. I started getting pains in my right leg during highway drives for continually keeping the leg on A pedal.

Although I have to say, I never used CC till now. So i'll have to take TD's on open roads or HYD ORR, before confirming my next car.
mrbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 21:30   #105
KRN
BHPian

Default Do we need cruise control in India?

Quote:

Cruise control definitely helps in highway drives to rest the right foot for a crucial 2 to 3 minutes. Without it I used to get a little bit of soreness in my right leg after 6+ hour drives.

Is it absolutely required? No. Think of it as a nice to have.

If driving comfort is high on your priority an automatic car may be a more important consideration than cruise control.

I have a Honda City SV CVT which has a cruise control. A big bonus of using cruise control is a phenomenal increase in mileage as the car maintains a constant speed.

Last edited by KRN : 9th March 2016 at 21:32.
KRN is online now   Reply With Quote