Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th October 2009, 10:47   #46
BHPian

what is the technology behind this? vaccume suction??
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 14:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M R K View Post
OT
Can these clamps be purchased from somewhere (ebay etc.).
Looks like one of the best anti-theft device..
They have been on sale in the UK for years. People tend to use them on their caravans when they are parked up to reduce the risk of theft.

You could buy four and clamp all your wheels leaving the cops with no wheel to clamp. I wonder if they would then attempt to lift the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x
That doesnt seem to be possible with this new clamps used by Delhi Police- or am I missing something?
They are using a shackle lock which probably is not very difficult to pick using one of those cheap kits from dealextreme. However if they note which vehicles they have fitted with clamps then they will just do you for theft of the clamp.

Quote:
what is the technology behind this? vaccume suction??
Do you mean the technology of the clamp? There is no real tech its just a mechanical clamp made of some metal. Its secured using a padlock. You could probably duplicate some of the clamps I have seen in the UK quite easily if thats what you want to do. The ones the Delhi police are using are quite expensive clamps. You can get much cheaper ones which would not be hard to replicate that use chains (google London Triangle clamp)

Last edited by bigman : 4th October 2009 at 14:10.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 21:19   #48
BHPian

Default Is it legal to lock down the wheels by Cops?

Just read this article in Times of India. As per the article, it is illegal to lock down the wheels by cops if the vehicle is parked in No Parking Zone as there is no provision for such thing in Motor Vehicles Act.

Here is the link from Times of India:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20530961.cms

@Mods: I tried searching the forum but could not find any running thread. Please move/merge to appropriate thread in case of any.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 10:35   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Is it legal to lock down the wheels by Cops?

Well , it may be illegal but it is certainly better than towing I guess . I have seen these policemen hitching up cars to the back of their tow trucks and start pulling it , and believe me they man handle it . I remember reading an article sometime back saying that policemen are not responsible for damages that incur while towing .

Locking the vehicle is safe for the car and more economical I guess.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 12:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is it legal to lock down the wheels by Cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Well , it may be illegal but it is certainly better than towing I guess . I have seen these policemen hitching up cars to the back of their tow trucks and start pulling it , and believe me they man handle it . I remember reading an article sometime back saying that policemen are not responsible for damages that incur while towing .

Locking the vehicle is safe for the car and more economical I guess.
+1 to the post. I have seen vehicles being towed away with rubbing brake shoes . People generally park with hand brakes applied, and when the police tows it away, they never care. They just tow it with the brakes on and hence frying the rear brake shoes.
Also, the way a car is towed, its front bumpers keep on colliding with the tow truck leading to more damages.

Hence, much better to lock the wheels. One has to pay only the fine, not the repair cost, at least.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 13:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wheel Clamps : Traffic Police's New Weapon

In most congested built-up areas, no-parking zones are there for a reason - someone parking there will inconvenience moving traffic. So, if someone has parked in such an area, and the cops put a wheel clamp, they are making the obstruction (i.e., the wrongly parked car) a little more premanent. I am in favour of towing the car away in such cases, as it is in the larger interests of the public.

And if the parked car is not causing an obstruction (and hence putting a wheel clamp is OK), why not just make that stretch a parking zone?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 14:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M R K View Post
OT
Can these clamps be purchased from somewhere (ebay etc.).
Looks like one of the best anti-theft device..
True. A neighbour purchased wheel clamps and clamped his cars (Safari, Renault Duster and Laura) which are parked on the road when the family went off on a long holiday.
I know there will still be some way to remove the clamps to steal the vehicle, but they provide ample visual deterrent for any prospective car thief.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 14:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
True. A neighbour purchased wheel clamps and clamped his cars (Safari, Renault Duster and Laura) which are parked on the road when the family went off on a long holiday.
Can you inquire where did he get those wheel clamps?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 14:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Can you inquire where did he get those wheel clamps?
Yup, I want to find that out too. Will post on this thread once I get the details.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote