Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th September 2009, 22:55   #31
BHPian

I am using a Fabia 1.2 for the last 7 months. Its a solid car with good driving manners but slightly under powered. Its good for moderate driving habits but will disappoint you if you are looking for spirited performance.
I am yet to taste the A.S.S so can't comment on it. I checked I20 also before buying and felt that overall Fabia 1.2 was better if you are ready to risk the A.S.S. I20 spares are also equally costlier.
But as VW will be coming out with the Polo in a few months, it is better to wait for it. You may get better choices at better price.
Madan Gopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 12:02   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madan Gopal View Post
I am using a Fabia 1.2 for the last 7 months. Its a solid car with good driving manners but slightly under powered. Its good for moderate driving habits but will disappoint you if you are looking for spirited performance.
I am yet to taste the A.S.S so can't comment on it. I checked I20 also before buying and felt that overall Fabia 1.2 was better if you are ready to risk the A.S.S. I20 spares are also equally costlier.
But as VW will be coming out with the Polo in a few months, it is better to wait for it. You may get better choices at better price.
Maybe we need a thread for Satisfied skoda customers. - But only satisfied cutomers should comment on that one wrt to the car and service aspects, the rest could post neutral comments. Just an Idea..to get a clearer prespective.

Last edited by ACM : 1st October 2009 at 12:02. Reason: missed an "a"
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 12:59   #33
BHPian

Dear Sam, 2 more months to go for the Auto Expo and there might be new hatches. You can wait till the launch of the VW Polo to check out how it is. To be honest, I'm owning an Aug. 2008 1.2 Fabia Ambiente and I'm pretty satisfied with the ownership experience so far. As for the A.S.S., I too had a bit of negative experiences with the dealer, but well manageable. Each and every companies A.S.S. can be bit painful at times as nothing is 100% fail-safe.

My opinion on the brands which you've homed in on is:

Fabia (petrol) - Excellent ride quality, suspension and control. The steering response is a delight and makes you feel addicted. There's ample power even while it's fully loaded with AC. The noise at the start-up may b bit high, but as the engine runs on, it become silent. The interiors are best in class, so is the quality and build. I'm getting a mileage of around 11.50 km/l (98% city drive). there was some initial little noise from the left hand side, but that was solved to full satisfaction

Punto - Again, a delight to drive with excellent steering response. the look is stunning and the suspension is also good. however, the rear legroom is bit compromised and the quality of the plastics could have been given more thoughts. my dad was planning to get a punto for city drives, but he was turned away by the interior quality aspects and rear space.

i20- my dad got himself a i20 last month (Asta 1.2). it was a sudden decision (rather on the spot decision). I don't want to hurt the sentiments of i20 users and what i'm going to mention is just a personal opinion. the interior space is excellent and the wide A.S.S. network is a good factor too. however, for a car which you have to pay around 6.20 (OTR), the quality and finish of interiors is a let down. compared to fabia or punto, the build quality is not upto mark and the door feel like paper. the dark brown panel and the out of date dash style also makes things a bit cheap. the steering is so light and gives kinda deadwood feeling. Jazz has more feedback from its steering. the pulling is so low even with only 2 adults and AC on. I don't know why some people say fabia got the least power. of course, its not powerful as punto 1.4 or Jazz, but its more powerful than i20. the lack of power in i20 is really irritating sometimes with the driver having to switch off the AC in steep inclines. dad is now regretting the decision to buy the i20 without any proper research and might dispose i20 soon
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 14:32   #34
BHPian

I am using Fabia 1.4 TDI Ambiente since last 15 months , I am quite happy with the overall performance but for the noisy of engine and matador tyres.
Its very stable car with a better suspension compared to other hatchbacks.
Milage in Bangalore traffic is less around 12 kml.
When I drive I feel I am sitting is armored bubble.
So far no issues with *** , Vinayaka Cars are quite good at it , though compared to maruti the maintainance is on higher side.
I see lot of negetive feedback about Skoda in general , but I wm very happy with the car.
If Skoda drops prices to a notch lower than VW polo it will help as sales will rise with cost of spares (non plastic and stamping) comming down to grat extent once localization picks up.
Also some Engine part spares are commun in VW Polo and Fabia , so its a win win once polo goes on stream , no matter it eats into Fabia sales.
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote