Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th October 2009, 13:38   #196
BHPian

Asked about the pricing of figo when i dropped in for my car check up at ford . i was told ,the base version price will start from around 3.5 lacs ex showroom.
Old 4th October 2009, 16:17   #197
H2O
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Asked about the pricing of figo when i dropped in for my car check up at ford . i was told ,the base version price will start from around 3.5 lacs ex showroom.
If this is true we can easily expect a top end petrol version with all goodies around 4.5-5.0 L, that would definately give i20/swift/punto, and may be yet to be launched Polo a very good competition.

And I hope base model of FIGO would force MSIL (most low end models) and Hyundai i10, for some serious re-think on their product/pricing.
Old 5th October 2009, 08:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Correct me If I am wrong, But is'nt Ford an expensive car to maintain.
It used to be an expensive car to maintain but not any more. My 4 year ikon costs less to maintain than my bro's 2 year old indigo. I can vouch for at least 4 different fords in my circle of friends who have never had any issues at all (mine needed an ignition coil replacement at 50,000 km but that's about it).
Old 5th October 2009, 11:43   #199
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I saw 2 cars in zebra stripes in Nelamangala going towards Tumkur yesterday afternoon( was driving Back to Bangalore and after driving for 400 odd kms never felft like clicking snaps)

As i have seen this thread, it is very obvious that it was Figo. But i wonder why they had disguised it ?

Also the cars were more spacious than swift and more close to i20. I really wonder if they will be priced so low(atleast it will be on par or costlier than Swift and definitely not cheaper than Swift) and if it happens.. good for us
Old 5th October 2009, 18:51   #200
BHPian

3.5L for the base version is very good news. I think the competition is hotting up now. But where does this leave Honda Jazz?
At the same time I have heard (never driven) fords are great handling machines, so if this car is decently powered it should be really fun to drive.
Considering it will be easy to maintain.

Those who have had the luck to try different Fords please enlighten.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:35   #201
Senior - BHPian

@Slick: I have had the luck to drive an Ikon as well as a Fiesta (though the fiesta was a Diesel).
Fords happen to make some of the toughest cars, which are quite reliable and cheap to maintain.
While the cars don't have the most comfortable ride (I mean the ride is pretty decent, but not the best), they are generally the most fun to drive in their class, mainly due to the way the suspension is set up, and the engine tuned.
Believe me when I say that a 1.4L, 68BHP diesel engine on the fiesta is really peppy and smooth, and can keep up with many faster cars upto 90kmph (which is really good given that the engine is tuned for city driving). Another aspect of Fords is that they are generally very stable at high speeds, and you can see this if you compare the Fiesta with say a Verna at high speeds.

I expect this car (Figo) to be one of the few (only one, if you discount the Palio 1.6) hot hatches in the country, specially with the 1.4L engine. Looking forward to its launch.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:09   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I expect this car (Figo) to be one of the few (only one, if you discount the Palio 1.6) hot hatches in the country, specially with the 1.4L engine. Looking forward to its launch.
I second that. I too believe Figo 1.4 Tdci will be one hell of a diesel hatch. Its got the potential to rock the segment.
Old 8th October 2009, 02:54   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
Guys,This car looks plain ordinary,boring and no finesse.
+1 to that, while the front is ditto the new ford ikon, the rear is reminiscent of the fusion, and the overall feel of the car in too conventional.The Ford design department certainly needs fresh blood. In the days of the spunky i-20, the classy Grand Punto and the funky Ritz, the profile of the FIGO harks back to the days of the UNO

Old 8th October 2009, 10:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have seen the car in person. Frankly, I dont think the front looks like the Ikon, I guess many people are getting carried away by two things which is making them think this way.
1. Seeing that it is from Ikon platform people think its looking that way but in person dont think it resembles it, if someone had looked at it without hearing about the platform
2. I guess people get carried away by the kinetic desiging of the grill. Thats actully a decision ford has taken that all new launches will have a grill like that a la Fiesta, Ikon and now the Figo. Please dont get carried away by that.

Agreed its not as funky (or as someone said Spunky) as I20, but it surely looks different from the Ikon in person, is what my impression.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:39   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I
1. Seeing that it is from Ikon platform people think its looking that way but in person dont think it resembles it, if someone had looked at it without hearing about the platform
First of all,the Figo is not based on a Ikon platform.Its based on the Mark V Fiesta.The Ikon was based on the Mark IV Fiesta platform.
The figo technically is just a last gen Mark V Fiesta facelifted for India.
Old 8th October 2009, 18:38   #206
BHPian

With the Figo going to be manufactured from Ford's Chennai Plant, there would be a higher percentage of localisation. This will cost of maintenance also low. The competition in the premium hatchback category is only getting hotter.
Old 9th October 2009, 15:27   #207
BHPian

Default The pricing has to be more than 3.5 lakhs.

If the base version will start at 3.5 lakhs, It is just too competitive a price because Figo looks to be a worth while deal over cars like i10/Punto/Jazz. maruti will always have a strong hold because of its service network and cheaper spares. But seriously, If it will start at 3.5 lakhs I wonder how Ford will even be able to afford that kind of pricing? The pricing has to be more that 3.5 lakhs.
Old 11th October 2009, 00:15   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Slick: I have had the luck to drive an Ikon as well as a Fiesta (though the fiesta was a Diesel).
Fords happen to make some of the toughest cars, which are quite reliable and cheap to maintain.
While the cars don't have the most comfortable ride (I mean the ride is pretty decent, but not the best), they are generally the most fun to drive in their class, mainly due to the way the suspension is set up, and the engine tuned.
Believe me when I say that a 1.4L, 68BHP diesel engine on the fiesta is really peppy and smooth, and can keep up with many faster cars upto 90kmph (which is really good given that the engine is tuned for city driving). Another aspect of Fords is that they are generally very stable at high speeds, and you can see this if you compare the Fiesta with say a Verna at high speeds.

Thanks for the Info, Thought that the Ikon was a fun car. But now I know all of them share the attribute.
Like I have mentioned before a friend sold an Ikon 1.6 recently, not for FE, for expensive maintenance. So I beg to differ that they are anywhere near maruti when it comes to expenses. A small car might be different but the Ikon was not.(It was maintained at an authorised service center.)
Old 11th October 2009, 12:44   #209
BANNED

IMO the waist line of the car looks low as a old zen, Im i correct of its jus a feeling
now though all hatches have high waist line
Old 11th October 2009, 13:12   #210
BHPian

Irrespective of what Ford claims, it's pretty clear that this is based on the old generation Ford Fiesta. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The old gen fiesta (on which our current fiesta sedan is based) was recognized as a solid workhorse.

My one single concern is the fact that the old fiesta's roof sloped down towards the rear of the car, compromising Head room at the back. While this is ok in Europe, where back seats are mostly reserved for kids or baby seats, it might not work in India where the back seat is mostly for adults carrying kids on their laps (its not the right thing, but done all the same). I only hope Ford has flattened out the roof section.
Closed Thread