Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Petra 1.6 ELX or Baleno LXi ?
Petra 1.6 ELX 64 47.06%
Baleno LXi 72 52.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2005, 23:02   #181
Senior - BHPian

Aluminium engine means lesser weight and more power.... however it also means more engine noise!

Dont even consider a Petra with your hard earned money. Fiat might be going bankrupt in India soon. They dont even have a website. I think its the right thread to say... go for MB!!!:d
Old 20th October 2005, 23:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Dont even consider a Petra with your hard earned money.
Aseem, I don't think, I or TypeO work for underworld and hence, bought Petra :-) Or, may be you have another meaning of hard earned money.

Santosh, we have had very fierce flamewars on Petra vs. Baleno topic, and it always concluded one thing. They are both extremely good cars and one can't go wrong with either of them. Some people got converted from Baleno to Petra, while few others did the reverse. Essentially, which one you buy is matter of personal choice. Each car has its own following and I am yet to come across disgruntled Petra or Baleno owner.

Fiat's shaky future has turned off quite few folks, and if that is not an issue for you, only then you should consider Petra. There are few Petra owners (inclusive of myself) who if given a choice again, would buy Petra once again over Baleno. Well! Most likely ELX model this time.

So, if Fiat is non-issue, go and test drive both the cars enough and choose one for which your heart says "Yes".
Old 20th October 2005, 23:49   #183
Senior - BHPian

Im very much with RX135...
I would like to tell one thing to all Baleno fanatics; if Fiat was as strong as MUL in India, it wouldve been bye bye to bland beauty Baleno.

So many times the product doesnt look good to our eyes due to its attributes and so many hideous products start to look beautiful coz of its attributes!!! For example, I remmember when Baleno was launched...it was one bad looking car in the c+ segment. Today, when the same car has stepped down one segment and badly buck slashed its looking attractive!!!huh!!! human beings...

The performance of Baleno is due to its original segment idea but petra is not in c+ segment atall. We are infact comparing 2 cars of varied segments. Baleno wouldve been a complete loser today if it belonged to the segment it was initially made for as its neither got the classy looks that a c segment car deserves nor the build quality.

To sum it up, Baleno is a great performer but only coz its compared with the leagues of 6lac cars. Petra on the other hand priced and segmented accurately. The looks of these two cars is purely subjective. Some think Baleno looks like a infants paper drawing while some teens wouldnt mind calling it the most beautiful thing in their life!!! Some think Petra is a poorly remodelled Palio while for few others its only the Fiat name deterrence...And the quest continues.............

Last edited by The Wolf : 20th October 2005 at 23:51.
Old 21st October 2005, 11:01   #184
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to tell one thing to all Baleno fanatics; if Fiat was as strong as MUL in India, it wouldve been bye bye to bland beauty Baleno.
That's a very presumptous statement.

Quote:
The performance of Baleno is due to its original segment idea but petra is not in c+ segment atall. We are infact comparing 2 cars of varied segments.
How does it really matter about the segmant positioning? Both are priced similarly.

Quote:
Baleno wouldve been a complete loser today if it belonged to the segment it was initially made for as its neither got the classy looks that a c segment car deserves nor the build quality
I never thought that Baleno looks bad at all. The rear end is a little boxy but apart from that the car looks like a racy sedan. Get fatter tyres with alloys and dress her up, she looks good.Plus the Baleno has amazing visibilty at the front, making it easy to drive in city and bumper to bumper traffic. Tall people can almost see the nose of the front grill while sitting in the driver seat.

Baleno looks like a conventional C segmant sedan.

Do you like the looks of NHC like 2 cars squashed together with a extermely short front.
Yes Petra looks good but Baleno is certainly not the beast to look at.

There are 3 areas where the Baleno wins clearly over Petra.

FE, ASS and maintenance cost.

Baleno is cheaper to maintain and service. A regular service with no extra components will cost between 1200 and 2000 INR. And everyone knows about the Maruti service network.

Wrt FIAT's ASS, i personally know 2 Palio owners who've got the treatment from Fiat's dealers. One guy got a gearbox problem which's been pending for a year.
Fiat's ASS is varied, good at some places and bad or non-existent at other places.

About the FE, i got a mileage of 17.1 when i went on the Highway with a light right foot and AC almost 100%. I consistently get above 12 in the city.

My friend has a 2000 Baleno which recently had a very bad accident and was almost on the verge of a complete loss verdict. Event after repair the car still goes above 165 kmph with ease. He lives in Chd and always gets above 14 mileage in city. This is when the car is done about 1.25 Lakh Km on the odo.

We can also compare the FE figures of ACI for a Baleno and a Petra.

Don't get me wrong -I like Petra, i think it's a good choice especially at the current price.. It's just that with the current state of Fiat India it makes more sense to think before putting your hard earned cash.

Last edited by imjimmy : 21st October 2005 at 11:10.
Old 21st October 2005, 13:29   #185
BHPian

wow!!! looks like I have just ignited this hot topic here which was settled for a while...
but thats excactly what I could have expected!

Thanks a lot for valuable guidance.... I am keeping an eye on tata-fiat alliance as well.
for me the petra option will materialize only if their MoU does so and they officially
announce something "concrete" I am convinced enough that except for ASS any choice
will be more or less same (....which is better than others though!) We may not gain much
by continuing the debate.... I would rather hope I get all my querries answered and the
discussion is taken forward on those topics or newer ones!

BTW, how does baleno's NVH levels compare to that of petra??
Old 21st October 2005, 14:31   #186
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
wow!!! looks like I have just ignited this hot topic here which was settled for a while...
but thats excactly what I could have expected!

Thanks a lot for valuable guidance.... I am keeping an eye on tata-fiat alliance as well.
for me the petra option will materialize only if their MoU does so and they officially
announce something "concrete" I am convinced enough that except for ASS any choice
will be more or less same (....which is better than others though!) We may not gain much
by continuing the debate.... I would rather hope I get all my querries answered and the
discussion is taken forward on those topics or newer ones!

BTW, how does baleno's NVH levels compare to that of petra??
hey santosh,
i had decided on buying the Petra 1.6 ELX in chennai, but the showroom guys are saying that they donot have an ELX to offer me. so i have decided to go in for the ikon. i still feel i've lost out on the petra, coz it felt real good to drive it and to be in it... so if you feel that the problems with fiat would not deter you from taking a fiat product, go ahead. but don't read too much between the TATA - FIAT alliance. there's not going to be much for the customers out of that.
all said and done, the petra is one of the best cars in its class in india.
have a good drive.
ak
Old 21st October 2005, 18:14   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
There are 3 areas where the Baleno wins clearly over Petra.
FE, ASS and maintenance cost.
Let's not start yet another endless debate here, but my short answer to above is "No, No and No".
@Santosh, As I said earlier you can't go wrong with either car, so drive and choose one, which fits your style.
Old 21st October 2005, 19:37   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
hey santosh,
i had decided on buying the Petra 1.6 ELX in chennai, but the showroom guys are saying that they donot have an ELX to offer me. so i have decided to go in for the ikon. i still feel i've lost out on the petra, coz it felt real good to drive it and to be in it... so if you feel that the problems with fiat would not deter you from taking a fiat product, go ahead. but don't read too much between the TATA - FIAT alliance. there's not going to be much for the customers out of that.
all said and done, the petra is one of the best cars in its class in india.
have a good drive.
ak
Hi Avinash, congratulations for the new car! I had first visit to sundaram-koramangala
in bangalore and they didn't say anything about unavailability of ELX or colors etc.... but
as you said I too don't have high hopes on tata alliance. Just that I still have some
time before arranging the finance etc. so thought there is no harm in keeping a watch

just curious, you must have given a thought on baleno as well, didn't you? I have kept ikon
as the next best option..

so far, nobody commented on rolling, torque, nvh etc. ?? .....

Old 21st October 2005, 20:40   #189
Senior - BHPian

Let me put an end to this Petra/Baleno argument.....
Baleno Fans: Just drive a baleno for 5km's non stop, get off the car, sit in a Petra and drive around for another 5kms.........then post your comments. Im sure your previous statements would suffer severe alterations.

imjimmy : "That's a very presumptous statement."

Justify that.
Old 21st October 2005, 22:55   #190
Senior - BHPian

baleno is even a generation old than petra which is already a generation old.

and a petra with abs and airbags is anyday a more safer and equally faster car as a baleno. A difference of .10 or .20 wont count in the normal city traffic.

the pros of baleno or the maruti badge and a FE figure that is just 1-2 kmpl better than the petra at best.
Old 22nd October 2005, 00:04   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
and a petra with abs and airbags is anyday a more safer and equally faster car as a baleno. A difference of .10 or .20 wont count in the normal city traffic.
Correction! Petra does not come with ABS or AirBags, which Sienna did. FE is similar for Baleno and Petra, but yes, big difference is Maruti tag for Baleno and ride and build for Petra.
Old 24th October 2005, 01:27   #192
Senior - BHPian

Petra not got ABS and airbags option anymore???? This sucks.

BUt atleast petra beats the baleno in polls if not in real world sales? LOL!
Old 24th October 2005, 15:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
BUt atleast petra beats the baleno in polls if not in real world sales? LOL!
Eventually Baleno will take over as Petras/Palios have become endangered species on indian roads. So, not many people know about it, forget voting for it :-)
Old 24th October 2005, 16:52   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Im very much with RX135...

What makes the company strong? I think product only. If product has some VFM fector will be loved.
Old 24th October 2005, 22:37   #195
Senior - BHPian

Vivek / imJimmy

just a suggestion...some persons just like opinions and handling data does not come easy to them...

why should one spend his precious time with someone who will not accept any data but is very happy with his own opinions....

look at this thread again...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...4&page=3&pp=15 (Which car is faster? Baleno or Vtec?)

you will find very little to none data and loads of opinion from the same boarder..so the best one can do is to let them live in their makebelieve world and ignore them

that said...I own a Baleno....Petra is a great car too..and IMHO, slightly better than Baleno on broken roads...(though again...fiat cars rattle too..have driven a few, own a Uno and also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=11 ). ..on the other hand...Baleno's have a great pickup...we recently went on a 400 km drive..(two Balenos, a 2004 Corolla automatic, a Palio 1.6 GTX)..and it was able to hold its own rather easily against these cars...and lead whenever required (we did not have a drag...so NO winners here...but I am told by my friends that the Baleno seemed sufficiently powered)

...purchase Petra if you can live with the service or the lack of it... Changing cars is also going to be tricky after 4 years as you will find a few takers for this excellant car....and having owned a few over years......believe me...you would want a change after sometime..unless you are the car worshipping type :-)...I am already looking forward to my next car...a SUV or a turbo Petrol...cant decide which ..

whatever you buy...dont forget to buy tubeless tyres though

Last edited by Buffetfan : 24th October 2005 at 22:47.
Closed Thread