Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2009, 12:12   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
So what you are saying is - India will have the FIRST official release of 1.2TDI in the world? Wow! Later on, i hope we dont hear the same story of Fabia of spurious diesel blah blah
Indian launch surely seems ahead of UK launch. However as posted by me earlier it is already launched in Germany as Polo BlueMotion. The link of VW Germany site is again posted here.

VW Germany
Old 17th December 2009, 12:32   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
"Technological progress makes it possible to significantly reduce the maintenance requirements. The Long Life Service, Volkswagen uses a technology that needs only to be planning on taking a service if your vehicle needs it. The special thing is that in order to determine the service interval (within 2 years and the individual operating conditions and personal driving style) to be considered.
The first inspection service is at 3 years or 60,000 kilometers due and then every 2 years.

Man this is unbelievably long service interval .........
are you sure of this I can't believe 3 years for first inspection and it's almost the end of warrenty period in India for many cars.so they can very well give us 5 -7 years of warrenty .

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 17th December 2009 at 12:33.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:11   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Golf with rounded top and less headroom. The new Beetle never did much for me/

I can! I do! I want! I want a small car with good interiors and a few gadgets to play with!

Whilst sitting in a Fabia made me sure I wanted one, being driven in one made me certain I did not. I wonder if the Polo can be much different?
Very true Thad!

The Fabia isn't a great car to be driven in but the interiors were something you'd expect in a car that probably costs twice as much! The interior shots of the Fabia hadn't shown to the world that it feels upmarket. Let's hope it's the same with the Polo! Let's hope that it only looks dull!
Old 17th December 2009, 13:52   #514
BHPian

So the diesel fans get their turbo… where's the turbo for the petrolheads? Unlike the diesel lovers who like everything low cost, those of us with petrol in our veins are willing to pay (up to 10L for me) for a 1.2 TSI with DSG, and none of the 'compromised features' found on the Indian Polo.

Come to think about it, if VW can launch a relatively cheap 1.2Tdi (i.e. less than 7L) that gives phenomenal mileage and eliminates unnecessary features (like climate control, rear-disc brakes, alloy wheels and LED indicators) then move over Tata Indica, because the VW Polo will now become the default taxi-cab of the country (complete with yellow number plates, rowdy drivers, smelly fabric seats and a dirty little red rag to wipe off paan stains from the window-sills).
Old 17th December 2009, 14:15   #515
BANNED

Well the quote from link visa vis positioning of Skoda and VW cars in india -[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2] as per Jochem Heizmann, Member - Board of Management, Volkswagen

[/SIZE][/FONT]'' [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]VW cars will be the premium cars on a high volume basis. Skoda cars will be the high quality cars on affordable prices[/SIZE][/FONT]''

So if polo is priced less , one should not be surprised , with high FE it will be VFM with low Total Cost Of Ownership.

CNBC-TV18 - Polo vs Fabia: Who will take on Indian roads in '10?
Old 17th December 2009, 14:43   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
So the diesel fans get their turbo… where's the turbo for the petrolheads? Unlike the diesel lovers who like everything low cost, those of us with petrol in our veins are willing to pay (up to 10L for me) for a 1.2 TSI with DSG, and none of the 'compromised features' found on the Indian Polo.
I think we will be forced to wait till mid or end 2010 for clarity on better benzina engines.
My fear now is that to buy a TSI engine, we need to go in for a sedan (Polo version) or a Golf, if it is offered later in the year. Either way, it will involve paying more than what one originally intended.
As for cabbies, VW will be happy making the numbers any way they can!
Old 17th December 2009, 15:21   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
As for cabbies, VW will be happy making the numbers any way they can!
I don't think so. Look at all the other cars they have on range, cheapest being Jetta going up to Touareg. Selling the polo as a taxi car will not go down well with buyers in relatively premium categories. I doubt they would intend to aim at the taxi market.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:29   #518
Senior - BHPian

news update: 1.6 petrol eingine : 110 or 106 bhp might be launched around Sept.

cheers,
ac
Old 17th December 2009, 15:56   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
news update: 1.6 petrol eingine : 110 or 106 bhp might be launched around Sept.
That was along expected lines, but the question is whether the 106 BHP is coming via the old Jetta 1.6 engine, or a 1.2TSi. Very early on, there was word that the later engine launch would be the Jetta 1.6, in which case, so much for a TSi.
What's with the VW group? The diesel variants seem to have all the fun.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:38   #520
BHPian

There seems to be a lot of talk on the following matters. My 2 cents on the same.

1. Build Quality-- Should be much better than the class standard(i20/GP). Probably the best in class.

2. Engine -- Both the petrol and the diesel seem to be a disappointment. But the diesel should/would return best in class mileage figures. I definitely dont expect VW to bring in the TSI. Even in UK the TSi seems to be available only in the highest spec model. Definitel needs better engines.

3.Equipment -- With kind of quality that VW is striving to provide, i dont think VW will be able to afford the same kind of equipment that, say the i20 provides.Even if they do match, it will be more likely at a higher pricepoint i.e. a higher trim level.

4. Transmission -- DSG, i sincerely dont think so. Same logic as that of the engine.

In the Uk site the price difference for a non DSG & Dsg model is approx 1000 pounds.
Simailarly the price difference between highest spec TSI & non TSi model is approx 1500 pounds.

At current prices, even without considering the fact that a TSI-DSG model will never achieve economies of scale in india, TSI+DSG alone can jack up prices by atleast 200000. Now even if the topspec model is priced at around 6lakhs in india, a TSI+DSG model will easily be atleast 9 lakhs on road. Now we all should be aware that at such a price point, the market of a hatch is virtuall ZILCH.

We should remember that Polo must have been more expensive to design/engineer compared to say a i20, knowing the kind of bulletproof reputation that VW has.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:50   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
1) BlueMotion is to be released in may, 2010. So what will happen to the Jan/March launch?
Could someone tell me what is this Bluemotion thingie? is is same as stop start?
Old 17th December 2009, 18:19   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I don't think so. Look at all the other cars they have on range, cheapest being Jetta going up to Touareg. Selling the polo as a taxi car will not go down well with buyers in relatively premium categories. I doubt they would intend to aim at the taxi market.
Not if they want you to think of them as the German Toyota.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:22   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Not if they want you to think of them as the German Toyota.
I totally agree with this. Look at toyota. They have Corolla, Camry and MC Prado etc in the stable. But you have the taxi "Innova" in the line up as well.

So its kind of VFM as to the pricing vs mileage which the "Taxi" drivers would fall for.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:41   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Could someone tell me what is this Bluemotion thingie? is is same as stop start?
BlueMotion is a green model launched by VW with lower emmissions. To increase the FE, various measures have been taken such as lowering ground clearance, regenerative braking, start stop system etc. 1.2CRDi engine has been used in this model. Till day, this model has been introduced in Germany only. It is expected to be launched in UK in May this year.

I think only thing that will come to India from this BlueMotion model is its engine.

Check out links in this posts for more info on BlueMotion.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1636728 (Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23)

Last edited by rutvij : 18th December 2009 at 12:43. Reason: put some commas...
Old 18th December 2009, 13:37   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

BlueMotion sounds like something rather nasty happening in the toilet!
Closed Thread