Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 17:05   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spot on! This reminds me of funny, yet inaccurate, market opinions:

60's : The Japs will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.

80's : The Koreans will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.

2009 : The Chinese will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.

See what I mean?



So shall we add one more thing after Tata Manza

2009 : The pure Indian cars like Tatas and Ambys will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.

Being superstitoius... I just hope that in a similar way, our Indian brands become as big as Japs.
rove_drives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 17:09   #62
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
honda around the world is just a honda, over here in india it is considered a premium brand, anywhere else it considered as just a honda, a college kids first ride will be a secondhand civic or accord, so they are not much difference in honda & hyundai to me, but are almost the same in built quality i feel, hyundai has upped the game bigtime, their quality is very similar to honda now..
A Honda is always a Honda.Ask the same college kids if they want to buy a brand new sonata or a second-hand Accord they would still go for the Accord. Hyundai atleast for now cant be called as reliable as a Honda or a Toyota. Their designs never age well and even their new lineup apart from the i10 looks too Korean and cheap (i20 is mostly inspired from Mazda 2). When you ride in a previous gen Accord or CRV it still does turn heads but never for a Sonata or a Tucson.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 17:20   #63
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
So shall we add one more thing after Tata Manza

2009 : The pure Indian cars like Tatas and Ambys will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.

Being superstitoius... I just hope that in a similar way, our Indian brands become as big as Japs.
It is a blasphemy to compare Indian manufacturers with Chinese that's like calling a dove, a crow.

Chinese are experts in making copies of other cars and they lack creativity. I feel that anyday Indian cars are better built and more advanced than the Chinese c**p . I do respect the Indian manufacturers for making sure that however bad their cars look, it never is a copy of another.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:07   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
......
2009 : The pure Indian cars like Tatas and Ambys will never quite cut it in the market. Their cars are too flimsy, poorly engineered and are lacking in quality.
....
The Ambassador was a 1950's Morris Oxford of UK not a pure Indian car.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:47   #65
BHPian
 
Mevtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 198
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Hyundai has become a major manufacturer in world.It is great that they produce cars with very good quality.But when we consider the Indian scenario Hyundai has made more mistakes than Honda.

The flops in the Hyundai range include Sonata (old and newer versions),Elantra,Tucson,?Accent(Petrol) ,Getz Petrol(old and new),Getz Diesel and ?Verna (petrol).The Crdi engines had trouble when launched.

IMHO the really successful ones were Santro,Accent Diesel.Verna Diesel,i10 and ?i20.

Since a considerable number of cars are exported,I think they didn't lose much due to flops.

Last edited by Mevtec : 2nd November 2009 at 00:50.
Mevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:46   #66
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
A Honda is always a Honda.Ask the same college kids if they want to buy a brand new sonata or a second-hand Accord they would still go for the Accord. Hyundai atleast for now cant be called as reliable as a Honda or a Toyota. Their designs never age well and even their new lineup apart from the i10 looks too Korean and cheap (i20 is mostly inspired from Mazda 2). When you ride in a previous gen Accord or CRV it still does turn heads but never for a Sonata or a Tucson.
i agree with you, but in designs i think hyundai have upped the game abit but when it comes to small cars i feel the i20 kills the honda jazz in design & everything else, hyundai are known for their small cars & thats where they excell not only compare to honda but compare to other premuim brands as well, in sedans honda has the upper hand, no doubt about it,
in india honda is considered a premium brand i dont know why, all around the world a civic is a nice base family car & its so much cheaper around the globe, honda india is not even importing it down that they charge so much, its just them taking advantage of their brand image in india, smart bizness must say cause the indians are paying them bigtime

Last edited by Berj79 : 2nd November 2009 at 01:49.
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:28   #67
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
in india honda is considered a premium brand i dont know why, all around the world a civic is a nice base family car & its so much cheaper around the globe, honda india is not even importing it down that they charge so much, its just them taking advantage of their brand image in india, smart bizness must say cause the indians are paying them bigtime
Civic, Corolla, Octavia all are entry level sedans.Leave alone the 23 lakh Camry runs as taxi in Dubai. When players like Honda, Skoda & Toyota entered the Indian market in the 90s there was not much competition in terms of design or technology, so somehow people took the perception that these guys are luxo brands and thus began the story of how the Japs and the Czechs have looted us poor Indians who wanted to show off in front of guys who owned esteems and escorts.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:48   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Civic, Corolla, Octavia all are entry level sedans.Leave alone the 23 lakh Camry runs as taxi in Dubai. When players like Honda, Skoda & Toyota entered the Indian market in the 90s there was not much competition in terms of design or technology, so somehow people took the perception that these guys are luxo brands and thus began the story of how the Japs and the Czechs have looted us poor Indians who wanted to show off in front of guys who owned esteems and escorts.
Absolutely. However economies of scale plays a serious role. We need to compare the number of civics that sell abroad and the number in India. But still, if the same Civic is priced, right, say at 10L and the City at 7L, both would be turning out very good numbers which will improve the so called economy of scale.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:45   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,835 Times
Default

Honda seems very annoyed at the disastrous response to the Jazz, they started circulating big calender-like comparisions with it and the i20 saying:
  • which is the brand that you aspire to own?
  • which brand has better engineering and quality etc
  • which brand has best resale value? Honda or Hyundai? Its upto you to decide.
  • one comparison shows-Hyundai I20 1.2 asta priced at 5,60,000 and Honda Jazz priced at 6,98,000. It mentions that I 20 has additional features like ACC, USB port, alloys, power retractable mirrors, cooled glove box, other add ons etc and Honda says "these features only cost Rs. 25,000 and can be purchased after market".
Want proof ? Go to any Honda dealer and see.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:51   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Honda seems very annoyed at the disastrous response to the Jazz, they started circulating big calender-like comparisions with it and the i20 saying:
  • which is the brand that you aspire to own?
  • which brand has better engineering and quality etc
  • which brand has best resale value? Honda or Hyundai? Its upto you to decide.
  • one comparison shows-Hyundai I20 1.2 asta priced at 5,60,000 and Honda Jazz priced at 6,98,000. It mentions that I 20 has additional features like ACC, USB port, alloys, power retractable mirrors, cooled glove box, other add ons etc and Honda says "these features only cost Rs. 25,000 and can be purchased after market".
Want proof ? Go to any Honda dealer and see.
So, Honda blatantly says that the 1.38L premium you pay for Jazz is just for the brand?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:51   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • It mentions that I 20 has additional features like ACC, USB port, alloys, power retractable mirrors, cooled glove box, other add ons etc and Honda says "these features only cost Rs. 25,000 and can be purchased after market".
If they think it costs them Rs.25,000 why didnt they think of adding it!! They surely could have passed on the 1.2 l benefit to the customers!! Stingy Honda!! But i guess they have got the answer for Jazz from Indian public.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:44   #72
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
If they think it costs them Rs.25,000 why didnt they think of adding it!! They surely could have passed on the 1.2 l benefit to the customers!! Stingy Honda!! But i guess they have got the answer for Jazz from Indian public.

Honda is actually promoting Hyundai i20 by providing this leaflet. Honda thought they could get in more customer with their magic seats.They better offer the Jazz with alloys and ACC soon enough or this car is bound to go jazzing down the Getz way.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:42   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Honda seems very annoyed at the disastrous response to the Jazz, they started circulating big calender-like comparisions with it and the i20 saying:
  • which is the brand that you aspire to own?
  • which brand has better engineering and quality etc
  • which brand has best resale value? Honda or Hyundai? Its upto you to decide.
  • one comparison shows-Hyundai I20 1.2 asta priced at 5,60,000 and Honda Jazz priced at 6,98,000. It mentions that I 20 has additional features like ACC, USB port, alloys, power retractable mirrors, cooled glove box, other add ons etc and Honda says "these features only cost Rs. 25,000 and can be purchased after market".
Want proof ? Go to any Honda dealer and see.
Wonderful, I buy a Jazz paying some 1.4L more, then pay some 25K more to fit things from the after market.

Question: Why?
Answer : So that Honda can invalidate my warranty!!

Incidentally the answer to the first two questions Honda poses is definitely not "Honda".

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 2nd November 2009 at 18:43.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:56   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,776
Thanked: 955 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Honda seems very annoyed at the disastrous response to the Jazz, they started circulating big calender-like comparisions with it and the i20 saying:
  • which is the brand that you aspire to own?
  • which brand has better engineering and quality etc
  • which brand has best resale value? Honda or Hyundai? Its upto you to decide.
  • one comparison shows-Hyundai I20 1.2 asta priced at 5,60,000 and Honda Jazz priced at 6,98,000. It mentions that I 20 has additional features like ACC, USB port, alloys, power retractable mirrors, cooled glove box, other add ons etc and Honda says "these features only cost Rs. 25,000 and can be purchased after market".
Want proof ? Go to any Honda dealer and see.
This is a clumsy response at best from Honda.
And if Honda can direct us to any after market mod store who sells ACC+USB+4 alloy wheels+power mirrors+AC vent retrofitting in glove box+ labor within 25k, and yet still not invalidate the warranty, people shall still buy i20 as all of these are factory fitted in it.
And seriously, how many cars are there in India with retrofitted ACC+power mirrors+AC vent in glove box?
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:02   #75
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Civic, Corolla, Octavia all are entry level sedans.Leave alone the 23 lakh Camry runs as taxi in Dubai. When players like Honda, Skoda & Toyota entered the Indian market in the 90s there was not much competition in terms of design or technology, so somehow people took the perception that these guys are luxo brands and thus began the story of how the Japs and the Czechs have looted us poor Indians who wanted to show off in front of guys who owned esteems and escorts.
i agree with you, but honda is really pushing it here, the jazz is so expensive compare to the competition for what? i dont get it, its something i must be missing to see i guess
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Last Shangri-La…at the last minute - Bhutan! saket77 Travelogues 34 6th February 2014 17:58
Honda says its cars last the longest sumeethaldankar The International Automotive Scene 26 14th January 2014 10:53
Hyundai Tucson..Drives in at last rohitgaur Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 45 3rd July 2013 23:58
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City StarVegabond Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 435 26th October 2010 17:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks