Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th October 2009, 02:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Add Fusion too to that list.

Couple of days back, my car(FF+) was also checked for this and they found no issues. If it was found faulty they will replace it for free, as per the mechanic who came and inspected my car the whole stuff otherwise would cost 12K.

Is'nt this problem seen only on 2005 batches of Fiesta and Fusion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.sreekumar View Post
Any info if they are doing the same for Ikon? All the mechanics have suggested there are minor issues with my Power Steering.

Well what i think is that even the ikon would have something of that sort but i guess they are doing it in stages.In the mean while can someone put pics of their ikon to show this pipe at the back of the air cleaner/engine block where ever it is placed.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 13:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Hi Vnabhi did they twist the pipe in your car,in my car 2006 model there is a distance between the block and the pipe.
Yep, the arch in the pipe that you see is after the twisting. If there is a distance in your car, then perhaps there is no need----but get it inspected by Ford--they are doing it for free.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 18:53   #33
BHPian

I got mine corrected at Metro Ford on Saturday.
They actually dont seem to be very knowledgable about what this is.

When I asked them what it is they said "Sir, it is a very minor thing.!!!"
"What 'thing'" I asked them
"Steering rod has to be adjusted"
" Is there a specific Model of cars these adjustments have to be made"

I saw a very contorted face and no instant reply , Reply , though made was like.
" hmmmmmm......not anything...hmmm....ahhh....not all cars....very specific models"
" Ok , Is there any specific date period or VIN number"
" Ahhhh..yes , yes , we do have specific VIN number"

Duh , I had to tell it to him is it?

Conversation continues.
" OK , Does my VIN number fall into that category"
Repeat of the above.
" ahhhhhhh....hmmmm..mumble mumble , we will get it checked Sir.!!"

I then just left conversing and went to look at the car. The mechanic came and put his hand under the Center Console and did something. I was looking very carefully , then he started the car and took it somewhere where I could not see it.
Asked the Service Manager where he took my car.
" He has taken it for a test drive , Sir"
" Within the campus , I saw him go back," I say
" Yes Sir , Just one round to check."

For those of you who have seen the Metro workshop in Lingarajpuram , you would know that it is not really big.

About 10 minutes later.

" His round is not yet over , is it?"
At the same time , my car appears.
Service Manager's face lightens up with a smile.
" Here it is , Sir"

Ask the mechanic in Kannada.
" Was everything alright"
" Yes Sir , nothing had to be done."
" Then why did it take 10 minutes to go back and come?"
" Testing , Sir."

Ok , I left it at that.

Can only hope and pray that this was set right and I will have no issues with it.

From what I understand , does not seem to be very serious. No Specific Model number or no specific make since the Metro Ford guys also said that they have corrected Diesel versions of the car.

Anyways , it is advised that all T-BHP'ians go and get their cars checked.
It is hardly a 30 minute job , includes the time spent in looking around waiting for the work to start.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 22:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

I guess Mody Ford deserves the star rating it got, going by the above feedback above that customers had to take their cars to the dealer.

As GTO has pointed out, it is a rare practice to send someone to a customer's place and get the car inspected----this looks more like an initiative from the dealer rather than Ford India, or else all dealers would have sent their service personnel to customers houses/ offices to carry out the inspecti
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:56   #35
BHPian

Thumbs up Kairali Ford Kochi: Comes to my place to inspect power steering hose

I got a call today from an employee of Kairali Ford, asking me if they could come over to my place and look at the power steering hose, because the company had announced an inspection advice. Car if Fiesta 1.6

Two guys promptly came to my place, explained clearly what they want to do, and did it. The pipe that carried power steering fluid to the steering column was mounted too close to the air filter, and if it touches, then there is a potential of erosion and fluid leak. A leak there can turn fatal, as you will loose steering control.

My car was fine. I appreciate their effort to come to my place at my convenience and do the inspection.
DileepKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:06   #36
BHPian

This is a nice gesture from Ford and need to be appreciated. All other manufacturers should follow such a practice.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas

Hi guys

I am reviving an old thread to post an update on the topic.

I took my car today to Mody Ford to get it serviced and also to check why the engine system/ drivetrain warning light was staying on on early morning starts, even after other lights vanished. It had happened to me 2 times over the past 20 days.But on switching off the car and re-starting, that would vanish along with the other warning lights.

As the car was going to be with them the whole day, I asked them to get it serviced and oils changed.

But no sooner had I reached home, I got a call from the SA stating that they found power steering leakage to a minor extent, and that the hose would have to be replaced and fluid topped up. I was aghast when he told me that the host costs Rs 4800.

I explained to the SA whatever had happened in Oct, 2009 (see post # 1). He got in touch with his warranty department, but I believe they felt that the assurance to replace the hose free of cost would not extend beyond the warranty period. My EW expired in March, 2011.

I felt it prudent to bring this to the knowledge of Ford India, so I shot out an email to MD, Ford India, explaining the background and giving a link to this thread. I also mentioned that it was very pro-active of Ford India to get all petrol Fiestas inspected, moreso at the owners' homes. I said it looks like the spirit of their intention needs to be reminded to the dealers so that they do not get overtly obsessed with time limits of warranty. I also mentioned that they had done some 'jugaad' back then instead of replacing the hose. The fact that later models had the hose at a different position vindicated my stand.

Lo behold, I got a response from MD's office within an hour stating:-

"Dear Mr. Vxxxxi,

Thank you for contacting Ford India.Greetings from our President.

We are in receipt of your mail addressed to our Managing Director.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us regarding your vehicle bearing the registration number AP9BH****. We have noted down the contents of your mail and have taken up the issue with the dealership concerned.

We would revert to you after we receive relevant information from our dealership. Your concern number is 800013970

Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.

Thanks and Regard,
Abesheik.H,
FIL - Customer Relations,
1800-425-2500 BSNL/MTNL 6000-2500 Add STD code of your state capital"
Old 13th December 2011, 18:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas

In continuation of my earlier post, I got a call around 3 pm today from the Sr level expert of Mody Ford stating that they were contacted by MD's office of Ford India, asking for details. He said they were checking the service history of the car and would get back to me soon.

After around 30 minutes I was told that the SA had taken up the matter with the Regional Manager of Mody Ford that the case deserves a replacment as a goodwill gesture. I believe it was favourably decided as 'FOC on customer' (whatever that means).

I will be taking my car back tomorrow and post a picture thereafter.

I am posting this update to appreciate the timely intervention of Ford India and the positive vibes of Mody Ford. I am truely a satisfied customer. I am not sure if other manufactuers/ dealers are as good. I did not find Maruti good on this front, going by my experience with the WagonR.

Cheerio!
vnabhi is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 19:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

VNAbhi,

FOC means free of cost under goodwill warranty.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 19:26   #40
BHPian

This is brilliant. Mines a 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6P - I bought it recently - so I will do this check up myself based on your picture earlier.

Thank You Vnabhi for being so kind and sharing this. It is indeed very helpful.
spiritofdriving is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 19:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Wish you all the best with your cars.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Got my car back today---I could not pick it up yesterday as I had a call at 7 pm.

Apart from charges for normal servicing that included oil-chaning, filter changes, etc, no charges were levied on me for the power steering hose and mounting clip, thereby saving around 5 k INR.

Great move by Ford India and Mody Ford for settling the issue on the same day it was raised!

Here is a picture of the new hose. It looks identially placed when compared to the earlier one (pics on page 2), except that it seems to be a little more away from the engine block. Can other petrol Fiesta owners post pictures of their hose pipes?

Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas-20111214_115511_819.jpg
Old 14th December 2011, 15:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas

@Vnabhi,

Good for you that the hose was replaced free of cost and kudos to Ford management who took the action on time.

One question though - did the SA confirm the actual cause of leakage? Was it the same cause as earlei coz I remember the episode happening during my car purchase in 2009 and I had enquired and confirmed from my SA that the issue was not relevant to petrol cars where the hose was at quite a distance from the engine, so no chance of rupture due to contact with hight temp surface. Has this problem resurfaced again?
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great move by Ford India and Mody Ford for settling the issue on the same day it was raised!
Venu sir, second that!!
That's indeed awesome and tells something about the commitment of Ford to the Indian market.
Read from your ownership thread about it too.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Vnabhi,

Good for you that the hose was replaced free of cost and kudos to Ford management who took the action on time.

One question though - did the SA confirm the actual cause of leakage? Was it the same cause as earlei coz I remember the episode happening during my car purchase in 2009 and I had enquired and confirmed from my SA that the issue was not relevant to petrol cars where the hose was at quite a distance from the engine, so no chance of rupture due to contact with hight temp surface. Has this problem resurfaced again?
I will ask him tomorrow and get back. I was so glad that I was not charged, I did not want to ask him anything that would void my claim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Venu sir, second that!!
That's indeed awesome and tells something about the commitment of Ford to the Indian market.
Read from your ownership thread about it too.
Yes, Manish. +1 to your views.