Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th October 2009, 14:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ford India orders inspection of power steering of all petrol Fiestas

I got a call today from Mody Ford stating that some customer in Delhi had an issue with his power steering going kaput, based on which they were instructed by Ford India to get the power steering system inspected in all petrol Fiestas.

I said I would take the car over to them on Saturday, but they offered to send someone to inspect the car at my home or office. I agreed and the representative came and inspected the siiver coloured hose pipe behind the engine block. He showed to me that it was almost touching the engine, so he twisted it away and it is now about 3 inches away. He said it would now stay put that way and I need not worry about it.

Per him, the power steerring hose pipe in petrol Fiestas is right behind the engine block, but in diesel cars it is below it. I believe that owing to movement of the engine, constant scraping of the pipe leads to leaks and loss of power steering efficacy. In my case he said it was fine. He also sat in the car, started the engine, and tested the steering of the stationary car with a single hand---a full left lock followed by right lock two times. He said it was smooth and normal.

It appears Ford India has asked all dealers to inspect the pipe of all Petrol Fiestas and replace free of cost, if needed (costs around 4K). Good move by Ford to take things so seriously.

I am posting this for the benefit of other owners in this forum.

Cheers!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for not having posted this earlier. I did get a call a couple of weeks ago, am sending the vehicle this weekend. It sounds like they're just trying to do a quick-fix by moving the pipe away, I'm not sure if that will work in the long run......I'd thought they'd replace the pipe straightaway if it was close or touching the block but from your experience it doesn't look that way.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:20   #3
BHPian

Vnabhi, thanks for sharing information, just I called my dealer and He confirmed the same, He told same thing not a problem with diesel car.

Really appreciate Ford for taking proactive measures and addressing manufacturing defect, it reinitiate confidence in product and company.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:22   #4
BHPian

Add Fusion too to that list.

Couple of days back, my car(FF+) was also checked for this and they found no issues. If it was found faulty they will replace it for free, as per the mechanic who came and inspected my car the whole stuff otherwise would cost 12K.

Is'nt this problem seen only on 2005 batches of Fiesta and Fusion?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good job. Definitely this move would be more assuring for the customers. Is that problem reported here before in our forum by any user?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Couple of days back, my car(FF+) was also checked for this and they found no issues. If it was found faulty they will replace it for free, as per the mechanic who came and inspected my car the whole stuff otherwise would cost 12K.

Is'nt this problem seen only on 2005 batches of Fiesta and Fusion?
Well, mine is a 2007 Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Good job. Definitely this move would be more assuring for the customers. Is that problem reported here before in our forum by any user?
None so far. Looks like it is a recent issue faced by someone who is not on this forum.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:26   #7
BHPian

Hey , this is absolute news to me.
Could anyone from Bangalore confirm if they have had a call from any one of the two dealers.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If it was found faulty they will replace it for free, as per the mechanic who came and inspected my car the whole stuff otherwise would cost 12K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agreed and the representative came and inspected the siiver coloured hose pipe behind the engine block. He showed to me that it was almost touching the engine, so he twisted it away and it is now about 3 inches away. He said it would now stay put that way and I need not worry about it.

It appears Ford India has asked all dealers to inspect the pipe of all Petrol Fiestas and replace free of cost, if needed (costs around 4K). Good move by Ford to take things so seriously.
Cheers!
A silver hose costing 4K or more?!

I think that it is just a random number quoted by the dealer/mechanic to create a "feel good" effect on the customer. You always end up thinking, "Wow, Ford just replaced a part worth 4K without charging me. So nice of them. My next car will also be a Ford".

Once bitten, twice shy.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Once bitten, twice shy.
I'm on my second Ford, who knows, maybe I'll get my third
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:52   #10
BHPian

Any info if they are doing the same for Ikon? All the mechanics have suggested there are minor issues with my Power Steering.
sanju.sreekumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 18:20   #11
BHPian

hi guys,

It is really a serious issue.i was also called to the service centre.In my case the pipe with the silver wrapping(power steering fluid pipe) had rubbed besides the air filter box cover and was leaking fluid. the fliud is inflammable also imagine loosing power steering on the move.The dealer kept the car for half a day and replaced the pipe with a new one which now sits quite far away from the air filter box cover.i feel it is anew design of the pipe and not the old one which is twisred away as stated in the first post.
cheers
rallystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 19:51   #12
BHPian

No calls from Shaman Ford till now,has any member owning a Fiesta in Mumbai received a call from their dealer?.Will call up Shaman tomorrow and see what they have to say.

P.S Thanks a lot for the info Vnabhi.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Shaman has shut down. I doubt they will bother. Yogi, keep me posted, will you?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

That nice to see Ford pulls its socks up and finally acting on customer satisfaction. Especially when the time they are running up with thier small car. Hope they continue the same to win over more customers.
Great going Ford
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now thats something serious! I will check with the Chennai Ford A.S.S and report!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote