Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:12   #331
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 192
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Well, the problem in India is people are more interested to follow what others say like not good looking, "mehanga hai", plasticky etc etc. I have a logan GLS 1.6 for 2 years now and i am more than satisfied with my vehicle. People in india wants price reduction for everything and not at all bothered about quality. This is a kind of mantra of price reduction for all products from soap to truck. I am mostly laughing when someone comparing a logan to indigo. Both are vastly different in quality. My logan was hit in traffic alteast 100 times in chennai traffic and the body quality and bumper quality is so good that i got nothing more than paint peel-offs. Ride quality is one of the best in logan which comes to the league of innova/accord. There is still a cheaper 1.4L version of logan. The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:20   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
I agree, 'most' of the problem was in this dept. There are worse products but if marketed correctly/wisely, they become huge successes. They could have done better than marketing the 'Wide Body' car feature alone.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:35   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
ashutoshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 617 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.
Completely agree. The marketing was shoddy.. and half hearted in my opinion.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:30   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Btw I read somewhere that a facelifted version of Logan will be launched in India in 2010!? - http://www.******************/faceli...ogan-launched/

Any idea?
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:03   #335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default not just mkting - external styling too

Hyd has many (seems like thousands) of Logans as cabs and whenever I hired one, I found the ride quality superb. The interiors are spacious, comfortable and amazing boot space. Lots of times, I prefered the Logan over the Innova - Logan is solidly planted doing 100kmph on the ORR. I never felt thrown around or nervous with a stranger driving me at 100kmph.
The plastics felt a bit low quality (maybe because it was a cab and heavily used).

I even considered buying it at one point but held back due to a couple of reasons - not too much in love with the obtuse angled body styling (could have been more strainght fwd - Feista is clean, attractive and conservative at the same time) and also wanted a bit more of a performance car. Else Logan is an excellent all round mid-sized family sedan.

Its a pity it didn't catch on more with people.
kcnetid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:29   #336
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I don't think the Logan 1.6 is sold anymore (its not specified in their website)
IMO these are the reason which led to the dismal sales

1. Selling the Logan through M&M dealerships- M&M dealerships are the last place which comes in mind when you plan to buy a car.
2.Single product strategy- Renault is no RR to pull this off. Lancer could do it because unlike the Logan it was a driver's car and this was a long time back when the Indian market had just opened up. A single product lineup means less number of cars on the roads and less brand awareness among general public.
4. Design- the decade old Ikon had more curves and was more premium looking than the logan.Never looked the price so as to attract customers.Interior quality was bad too.
5.Engine- the diesel variant was very sluggish and expensive too.
3.Price- it should not have been more than 6lakh and that too for a car proclaimed itself as being the cheapest sedan. (Logan was cheap around the globe but not in India)
4.Promotion- Renault somehow was never serious on its plans for India and was moving at a very slow pace.
5.Taxi image
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:32   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
Hyd has many (seems like thousands) of Logans as cabs and whenever I hired one, I found the ride quality superb. The interiors are spacious, comfortable and amazing boot space. Lots of times, I prefered the Logan over the Innova - Logan is solidly planted doing 100kmph on the ORR. I never felt thrown around or nervous with a stranger driving me at 100kmph.
The plastics felt a bit low quality (maybe because it was a cab and heavily used).

I even considered buying it at one point but held back due to a couple of reasons - not too much in love with the obtuse angled body styling (could have been more strainght fwd - Feista is clean, attractive and conservative at the same time) and also wanted a bit more of a performance car. Else Logan is an excellent all round mid-sized family sedan.

Its a pity it didn't catch on more with people.
Yes, its exactly the same reason others are also not looking to this car. The looks definitely matters, then comes the features and stuff. Just my opinion.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:54   #338
BHPian
 
parishrut786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Well, the problem in India is people are more interested to follow what others say like not good looking, "mehanga hai", plasticky etc etc. I have a logan GLS 1.6 for 2 years now and i am more than satisfied with my vehicle. People in india wants price reduction for everything and not at all bothered about quality. This is a kind of mantra of price reduction for all products from soap to truck. I am mostly laughing when someone comparing a logan to indigo. Both are vastly different in quality. My logan was hit in traffic alteast 100 times in chennai traffic and the body quality and bumper quality is so good that i got nothing more than paint peel-offs. Ride quality is one of the best in logan which comes to the league of innova/accord. There is still a cheaper 1.4L version of logan. The problem is MARKETING. Neither mahindra nor renault is bothered to promote the car.

You are so damn right. I always had a Laguna ( Logan's equivalent in Europe), never had a problem for three years. Even by Indian standards, Logan is wider than an SUV. I love Logan
parishrut786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:09   #339
aby
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

sooner or later (more likely sooner), over 50k Black cabs in Mumbai have to be replaced. How much longer can you keep running a 20+ year old car from a now defunct company.

Isn't Logan best placed to be the replacement car. Recently I read an article where the company refused to let it's cars be used as black taxis. Not a great business decision I suppose.
aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 16:29   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default

Logan 1.6 petrol is discontinued.

just received the updated brochure, it has:

regular logan (1.4=petrol, 1.5=diesel)
  • 1.4 GL
  • 1.4 GLE/1.5 DLE
  • 1.4 GLX/ 1.5 DLX
  • 1.5 DLSx with ABS and driver airbag
Logan edge connect:
  • 1.4 GLX/ 1.5 DLX
  • 1.5 DLSx with ABS and driver airbag
Logan play:
  • 1.4 GLX and 1.5 DLX only.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 16:54   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Sid, what are the prices of the above specified models? Have they cut it?

Last edited by theMAG : 9th November 2009 at 09:13. Reason: Removing the long quote for easier readability !
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 05:28   #342
BHPian
 
Sush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Noida, New York
Posts: 308
Thanked: Once
Unhappy Future of Logan owners

Hi Guys,

As we all know, the Logan sales are really down. The 1.6 has been discontinued.
I am in kind of a double predicament. I own a Logan and that too the 1.6 GLS one

Although I have absolutely no issues against the car, I am begining to get worried about the future ownership experience from the spare parts availability perspective.

Has any Logan owner (especially the ones in Noida) faced or facing any issues regarding the spare parts availability?
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 09:14   #343
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,033
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Quote:
I am begining to get worried about the future ownership experience from the spare parts availability perspective.
Suggested recourse is to sell the car if possible. Parts availability will certainly become an issue.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 22:46   #344
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 388
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

My views -
Every product has its life cycle, Logan has done extremely well in her life cycle. A single model can last todays market not more than 5 years. Mahindra got license to make only one model in India and they encashed that in fullest. According to me its a tremendous marketing policy. Mahindra sold dated boxy looking Logan to the thousands of common people, introduced this car as taxi in metros like Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore. Company wants revenue and Mahindra was hugely successful to generate mollah with one model. Now Logan's life cycle has reached the plateau stage thus this is the time to bring an all new model with more contemporary design and refined, fuel efficient engine.
gaddiwale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 23:57   #345
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 597
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
My views -
Every product has its life cycle, Logan has done extremely well in her life cycle. A single model can last todays market not more than 5 years.
Exactly. You are absolutely correct. It should not be like M800 which is running from past 20+ yrs in Indian road. Phasing out model will bring us more and more advanced car.
About spares; if we still get a Zen's spare then I dont think that u have any problem getting spare for anther 5 yrs. Obviously if dealers does not play foul game.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Mahindra Renault Logan In Oman - 23 people stuffed inside 1 Logan serpente The Indian Car Scene 34 19th April 2010 19:03
Logan will not die; Cheaper, shorter, improved Logan expected ashutoshb The Indian Car Scene 61 27th March 2010 09:02
Plz suggest Accent/Logan petrol/Logan Disel shaleenpaul Sedans 1 14th November 2007 09:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks