Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th October 2009, 12:30   #76
Senior - BHPian

The rear is appealing though the other profiles are distinctly innovish.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 20:17   #77

Agree - Its definitely not the Sienna. Sienna is much bigger (Comparable with the Camry).

If Toyota is indeed thinking of replacing the Innova, I would be very happy. Its a great vehicle, but needs some upgradation in the engine and other internals.

Amit
aparanjape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 12:10   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the design! By the way, could anyone tell me where is the gear lever? The lever on the left on the steering looks more like a hand brake.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 15:45   #79
BHPian

The model is with Auto gearbox in the pic. And yes the gear lever looks on the left of the steering.

I am not sure how it will be in Manual model.

Last edited by smooth : 17th October 2009 at 16:03.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 00:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Finally a MUV/MPV with the second row sitting well ahead of the rear axle. Finally our spines will smile as we are driven mile upon mile upon mile..
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 00:09   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
News from Mottoroids:

However a newer Verso is already out (pictured below) and it beats us why Toyota would get a dated looking car to India when they already have a new one in their arsenal.

SOURCE: Motoroids - The Free Revving Species
Sarvodaya,
You are right there is a new Verso, but is not a new Avensis verso. Picnic is known as Avensis version in europe, Which is made on Avenis platform. The one you mentioned (versa) is built on corolla platform. so you are not comparing same models here
rajtheindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:01   #82
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't this a whole lot of speculation, any insider info on Toyota plans?

Somehow we do get snaps of toyota's new vehicles, but never any insider info. they seem to be very controlled about info flow. We read news of the fortuner, but it still took 5 years comming, seems worthless to speculate or wait for a toyota vehicle, considering the time it takes to arrive.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 14:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

amazing scoop. Very nice pictures, well done with the camera.

Toyota doing road testing for this vehicle. Well there has to be only two options (my guesses)

1. They are planning to launch it soon. (however there is no news like this till now).
2. They are testing it for other markets

For number 1, Toyota had announced in March 09 that they will be launching Fortuner in Sept 09 and soon Fortuner was seen on Bangalore roads with KA 05 TC (red registration plate). Also that fortuner was an old model (seen on roads) than the launch.

This case, there is no announcement or awareness which companies generally do so that those who are interested they wait for that product for a few months. and companies usually give some approximate timeline for launch.

For Case 2, this seems also likely given the fact that we have seen Yaris being tested in Bangalore with same red registration plates (KA 05 TC ) which had "diesel" written on the fuel tank lid.

Now I am hell confused which one of the above is correct. I am hoping point number 1 as I too am waiting for some van like vehicle from Toyota with automatic transmission.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 15:06   #84
BHPian

looks like a corolla on steroids & done with a plastic surgery
bugatti_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 15:09   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I love the design! By the way, could anyone tell me where is the gear lever? The lever on the left on the steering looks more like a hand brake.
The lever on the left of the steering is the gear lever and that too automatic gear lever.
Sudan_NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 15:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Neither is the Fortuner a completely new vehicle since it has been hanging around S.E Asia for a couple of years at least and only the facelifted version has found its way into India. The new Innova also has only been given a facelift - no other big changes. Even the Altis has been hanging around S. E Asia for the last year and a half as per my memory.

But when you consider the quantum leap from the Qualis to the Innova, they certainly "upped" the game then!

And more recently, when the Land Cruiser landed here at Rs 90 odd Lacs, man, that was some serious "upping" the game!

Some things that will always be in their favour is their quality, fit, finish, service and reliability. I greatly appreciate that about Toyota - these things never vary and are considered pretty much "hygiene level" requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
These are the on road pictures of Toyota Picnic in Singapore.
This is in Singapore from long time. I think from 2005 at least.
By bringing this in India, Toyota is not upping the game. They are launching a pretty old model in India.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 19:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

in short i want to know how soon is this gonna come for sure ? is it worth going in for the innova V spec right now or to wait.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 19:23   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
in short i want to know how soon is this gonna come for sure ? is it worth going in for the innova V spec right now or to wait.
With Toyota we never know.
But if you can wait till auto expo 2009, may be that time they will announce something. As they are due for some changes due to BS IV compliance.

So some changes are going to happen.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 23:08   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
With Toyota we never know.
But if you can wait till auto expo 2009, may be that time they will announce something. As they are due for some changes due to BS IV compliance.

So some changes are going to happen.
when is this again ? i am in doubts now. even if this car comes it will be above 15 laks and under 17 right. and plus i read its only a 4 speed auto which is kind of annoying since i have one already. dont know why toyota is stuck to 4 speed auto only. high time they come out with 5 speed auto. other countries dont complain since they have awesome roads so the economy is good for them, in our case 4 speed is a N O N O
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:46   #90
BHPian

The timing makes me think whether Toyota is doing this to counter Indicruz? If TATA positions indicruz with a ton of features on top of Innova and price it a lak or two higher than Innova, then Toyota might position this new MUV say about 3-4 lakhs more than Indicruz.

People would go for it considering it is a Toyota!
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote