Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th October 2009, 12:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavv View Post
Car is priced at 37,925 in UK. URL: 6 BMW Z4 car specifications - BBC Top Gear

Converting this to INR at at 74Rs Pound it translates to 28 Lakhs. Adding 100% import duty it is 56L. Pretty much on ballpark.
They really cannot afford to go above the ballpark figure. Thanks to the numerous car importers in India who will take away their business if price is inflated.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 13:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:

Converting this to INR at at 74Rs Pound it translates to 28 Lakhs. Adding 100% import duty it is 56L. Pretty much on ballpark.
Actually the duty is more than 100%, and the GBP has depreciated now.

AS per this link , the German price is 47,450 Euros. And since the car is made in germany, I think that is more relevant.

At todays euro rate of 68.5, it works out to 32.5 lacs.
So I guess 59 lacs ex showroom is actually a good deal.

The only question is why they are not offering the lower spec car as well. Could have saved about 10 lacs with the 30i.

The 23i would have been underpowered IMO
simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 17:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

One more photos from launch & tech spec of the Z4.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Z4-Price, specifications, equipment, colours, options-01-peter-kronschnabl.jpg  

Attached Images

hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 18:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Off-topic: I don't understand how Nissan is able to sell X-Trail (SLX MT) - 20539 (UK) - 23Lakhs in India. That vehicle should be priced 30 Lakhs. Similarly even CRV is very well priced the 2.0L engine is at 18290. Do these come from Thailand?
Cars are normally imported from the country of manufacture. Import duty will always be levied on 'import price' which is far lower than the retail price of that country. If manufacturer itself is importing and selling in India like BMW, then they will have a special low transfer price for importing in India and duty will be calculated on the import price only. Then the local importer will add up its own and dealer's margin, transportation and warranty costs etc.

Nissan X trail price seems to be a very realistic price, But Merc, BMW, Audi and Honda etc., charge a very hefty margin and so price their products very high.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 07:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oh no.. this is one ugly car I do not like also its not suitable for India
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 10:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ugly or not, the pictures dont do justice. It's out grown compared to previous model. Looks better than outgoing model, has more road presence. And that powerplant with twin turbo is one gem of an engine. It's one worth while roadsteer. Price is steep though around 50L would have done more justice. But, for anyone who is not satisfied with the performance, there are remaps and other mods available for this engine. One of the more desirable one is from Vishnu Performance, which take this engine to 400+ HP with just remap, exhaust, intake mods.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post

The only question is why they are not offering the lower spec car as well. Could have saved about 10 lacs with the 30i.

The 23i would have been underpowered IMO
The duty for importing a car is 114%.

The Indian laws has some norms for importing a vehicle. Some engine or price requirements, thats the reason they are not introducing the lower HP model.
This i say because a year before i asked BMW why don't they introduce Z4 in India, and he said there are some norms which don't entertain our Z4 model. They are suppose to pay extra duty on it and that increases the cost of the car.

Same is the problem with Porsche. They introduced boxster S but not the boxster base model.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote