Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th October 2009, 11:50   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What does Team BHP think could be the reason??
Station wagons across the world are offered for a niche` market. So, there is no India specific perspective. They are bound to sell less and car makers know it.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 11:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

No technical reason. A station wagon has never fitted into an Indian's car buying logic traditionally.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 12:33   #18
BHPian

To put it simply for the price (almost) and size / bulkiness of a SUV , you still give me a 'small' looking car which has no respect on the road and is consequently harder to drive?

Thanks but no thanks - its the Indian consumer here. He wants 'more car per car'.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 13:32   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Estates / station wagons suffer from an image problem; thats the primary reason why our market hasn't really been receptive of them. Previously, everyone thought its due to the premium pricing (over a sedan). Then, the Marina came at barely 20,000 more over the Indigo sedan. Initial sales were good, but demand slowly wore off. Why?

1. Image
2. More difficult to park.
3. How often does one need all that extra boot space?
4. Air-con takes longer to cool.
5. Sedan variant is cooler and more socially acceptable
6. Easier to sell a used sedan than a used estate.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 13:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

i cant find a reason why would anyone buy a stationwagon, as a SUV can do everything a sation wagon can do and on top of it make you look good.

and as someone commented, a station wagon is never in ones buying circle:
One begins with A or a A + or B type car, then the next upgrade is the uppper C segment car, post which one goes into buying a D + segment car.

Nowhere in this buying circle does a stationwagon fit in.

Also Stationwagons are Overpriced that can be another reason for its debacle.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 13:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. More difficult to park.
I'm sorry I could not understand this one.

Why is it that a station wagon is more difficult to park as compared to a sedan (of the same dimensions) ? Is it because of the extra pillars ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely love them

All of station wagaon looks better than their sedan to me Baleno Altura, Marina etc
There is one Vrs Combi in my office parking sometimes and it looks awesome, far better than Vrs IMO.

I think its not Indian market problem but all over the world they have very little marketshare compared to the sedans.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I'm sorry I could not understand this one.

Why is it that a station wagon is more difficult to park as compared to a sedan (of the same dimensions) ? Is it because of the extra pillars ?

Rohan,
Bangalore

I agree, parking a station wagion is easier because you do not need to guess where the boot ends.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Corsa SAIL is a Corsa with a Boot which metamorphosed into Hatch form. SAIL was the Hatch. They had the Opel Corsa SWING, which was the Station Wagon type.
This was one of GM's "made for India" kind of initiatives. Good solid cars. Sad that the marketing wasnt really up to the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
AFAIK, Indigo marina is fairly successful in Taxi market.
How about Opel Corsa sail, is it a station wagon / Hatchback ?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th October 2009 at 14:25.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:04   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Add the Siena weekender to the list.

I had contemplated a baleno Altura, siena weekender, tata estate ended up going in for the TATA Safari.

serves the same purpose and more, plus take additional people.

Suv looses the Seadan feel but does the other roles of an estate / station wagan better than the options out here.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

If the station wagons are modified so that a third row (front-facing) / two side-facing seats are added at the rear, it may be a favorite in Indian conditions, IMO.

The advantages are: Extra passenger capacity, extra boot space when the back seats (3rd row) are folded, and all when the car is not bulky like the MPV segment cars.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

and the Fusion as well - which is in between a large hatch and a station wagon proper. octavia combi. now they say they are planning a Fabia Station wagon - who knows what will happen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Add the Siena weekender to the list.

I had contemplated a baleno Altura, siena weekender, tata estate ended up going in for the TATA Safari.

serves the same purpose and more, plus take additional people.

Suv looses the Seadan feel but does the other roles of an estate / station wagan better than the options out here.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 16:06   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
and the Fusion as well - which is in between a large hatch and a station wagon proper. octavia combi. now they say they are planning a Fabia Station wagon - who knows what will happen to that.
possibly the forester 4X4 was more of a station wagon than an SUV.

A Station wagon will not allow a third row of seats even if we choose to due to the low hight, and the moment hight is raised we have an MUV like Xylo or innova or an SUV like Safari, Scorpio etc.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 16:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
possibly the forester 4X4 was more of a station wagon than an SUV.

A Station wagon will not allow a third row of seats even if we choose to due to the low hight, and the moment hight is raised we have an MUV like Xylo or innova or an SUV like Safari, Scorpio etc.
We used to have a Peugeot 505 SW Family. That had a 3rd row of seat. served the same purpose but i guess it was a bit cramped.

Have a look / Pic from wiki

Name:  800pxPeugeot_505_Wagon_Rear.JPG
Views: 1374
Size:  84.4 KB

Last edited by ritayan : 14th October 2009 at 16:40. Reason: added pic
ritayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 16:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

It has all to do with the Indian car buyer's mind set, something similar to what was thought of ATs years ago. Heavy on the pocket, poor FE was something which drove away potential AT buyers. Things have changed today and people have opened up to automatics.

Similarly in terms of station wagons/estates image plays a big role. As GTO pointed out the 'cool' factor does matter. An SUV will give a bigger cool factor than a station wagon in terms of size and image. No wonder even the more expensive players like Merc & BMW refrain from launching a wagon in India. The pricing of these wagons dont help either. In all the wagons, I think it was the now defunct Tata Estate that sold the most.

As far as parking is concerned, even SUVs are not easy to park. If wagons have to work in India they have to be priced sensibly and marketed well. If that is done I dont see why an estate wont work.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote