Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 21:37   #76
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 845
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
[*]Being a Hyundai it'll be fairly hassle-free to maintain
DUDE!! I dont think thats the scene anymore. Atleast the forum doesnt say so. The A.S.S of Hyundai has become worst over the last couple of years. So BEWARE.
My choice would be CRUZE eyes closed. Drove it last month and I was blown away. 150BHP under your feet. One word crazy!!!!

P.S: What will you do with the Swift. Mind you at 45K its still a virgin.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th January 2012 at 21:39.
Pancham is online now  
Old 9th January 2012, 14:23   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 138
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

If ride, handling and built quality are very important, then it has to be Laura but only with DSG (reason being 140bhp). Otherwise, it has to be Cruze. Hyundai, i dont expect to be dynamically brilliant as lauras (important for self driven class).
46TheDoctor is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 14:43   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 508
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

I don't know if you have considered the Optra Magnum.

You might wanna give it a shot and consider it.

If not the Magnum, then I would suggest the Cruze LT over the LTZ.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 14:48   #79
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

My heart beats for the Czech (Laura DSG) or the German (Jetta). Sigh! Only if I could assure you about the stupendous A.S.S. which is still a dream. No idea why!

Interior build quality apart, the CRUZE!
mempheS.D is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 15:35   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Though Laura is a great machine to own (self experiance), I would suggest you to go the Cruze way. Reason? The current gen Laura is due for a face lift, sometime soon. Why buy a car that would be outdated in an year or so?

The Cruze sure is a monster performer too. Since back seat comfort aint high on priority, this one would make an awesome buy.

Elantra 2012 seems to be promising, but its just launched. A TD would probably throw some more light on that.

P.S: What happens to the modded Swift ? .
Swanand Inamdar is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 15:44   #81
BHPian
 
vinj14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 259 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

If your going for the manual tranny then the new jetta is the clear winner! If your going for the automatic then go for the laura ambition dsg!
I personally cant get past the cruze interiors. Very desperate to please and cheap looking.The royal and posh feeling i got in the laura was just missing in the cruze.
But then again, i know many who bought the cruze just for its interiors and equipment list!
vinj14 is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 16:01   #82
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Thanks everyone for some great responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
DUDE!! I dont think thats the scene anymore. Atleast the forum doesnt say so. The A.S.S of Hyundai has become worst over the last couple of years. So BEWARE.
My choice would be CRUZE eyes closed. Drove it last month and I was blown away. 150BHP under your feet. One word crazy!!!!

P.S: What will you do with the Swift. Mind you at 45K its still a virgin.
I wasn't aware about A.S.S horror stories with Hyundai at all. Not sure about what to do with the Swift. She's almost mint at 45,000... you should see how well that car's been maintained. With the ECU piggyback she's unbelievably quick and the best part is that the FE's still great at 18.33 kpl on the last tank!!! I'm not going to sell it to the dealer because I'll never get the proper value of the car...so family and friends will get first right of refusal. If no one's looking, then there's always the TBHP classifieds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Are you looking for MT only options? The Laura TDI in its MT avatar is of 110bhp, whereas the DSG AT comes with the 140 bhp tune.
Any reason for not adding the new Jetta into the list?
If you have the budget, the 140bhp Jetta Comfortline MT would be an excellent option IMO.
Alternate options to look at:
1) Skoda Yeti
2) Renault Fluence diesel top end.
MT options only. The new Jetta is too expensive for something that shouldn't be quoting at a premium, in my opinion. Yes, the Yeti's nice but (a) too boxy (b) not really a performance enthusiast's cup of tea, (C) Skoda after-sales and (D) I dont need an SUV, even a mini one.
Regarding the Fluence: (a) no indications that the Fluence is a great car to drive (b) Renault is too new in India for me to consider them (c) and nothing about it thrills me (d) unknown long term ownership costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Cruze, cruze, cruze. No two ways about it.
Hyundai cannot make cars that handle well, period. On the other hand, though the laura is good, im a little iffy about skoda's after sales service.
That leaves me with only cruze, take a TD and decide, you wont be disappointed.
I agree. I've driven it and I love it. Yes there is a bit of a turbo lag but it's nowhere near as significant as some posters have made it out to be here on the forum. Also, I didnt find the clutch return-action too violent either.
I'm with you about Hyundai's neutered handling and I don't want the Skoda because I'll always have the after-sales sword hanging over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
If I had to choose from any of these three cars it would be no doubt but the Cruze. The reason is that Laura is out of contention because of the A.S.S horror stories.
Hyundai no doubt makes good looking cars nowadays but their cars are more like boats and its with them since ages, they have learned to copy the body designs and some other things but somehow the suspension designs they have still not being able to copy and correct at all. (No offence meant here to Hyundai fans) I am sure the Elantra will also have the same boat effect as other cars that they manufacture.
Hence Cruze it is and without doubt the cruze has the best power and kit available at that price range.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I say that you choose to Cruze!!
Even if the Elantra does look good and will most probably be loaded to the gills with features, it will not be very involving to drive.
Most Hyundais have a soft suspension setup and so will not be very stable at high speeds.
The Laura does a good job in the handling dept, but as you said, the Skoda after sales can be a cause of worry.
Wait till the face lifted Cruze comes out, you will like it.
Keep us updated!!
You, Kailashnj and Bala80 all have the identical assessment about all three cars!!
ghostrider is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 16:11   #83
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
If your going for the manual tranny then the new jetta is the clear winner! If your going for the automatic then go for the laura ambition dsg! I personally cant get past the cruze interiors. Very desperate to please and cheap looking.The royal and posh feeling i got in the laura was just missing in the cruze. But then again, i know many who bought the cruze just for its interiors and equipment list!
I actually think the Cruz interiors are fantastic. I agree the Laura and the Jetta have a more upmarket feel to them but I like the way the Cruze insides have been styled. The way they dash is sculpted around you makes you feel like you're part of the car instead of just sitting inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Though Laura is a great machine to own (self experiance), I would suggest you to go the Cruze way. Reason? The current gen Laura is due for a face lift, sometime soon. Why buy a car that would be outdated in an year or so?
The Cruze sure is a monster performer too. Since back seat comfort aint high on priority, this one would make an awesome buy.
Elantra 2012 seems to be promising, but its just launched. A TD would probably throw some more light on that.
P.S: What happens to the modded Swift ? .
Not sure yet. I'm trying to convince my wife to keep the Swift and let me sell her Type-3 City (NHC) instead of the Swift. That way, I'd have the best of both worlds, but it's an uphill battle trying to argue with her. So, if she insists on retaining that hateful Honda, I guess TBHP classifieds would be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
My heart beats for the Czech (Laura DSG) or the German (Jetta). Sigh! Only if I could assure you about the stupendous A.S.S. which is still a dream. No idea why!
Interior build quality apart, the CRUZE!
I agree. If their A.S.S. wasn't so iffy the Laura would be a much stronger contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I don't know if you have considered the Optra Magnum.
You might wanna give it a shot and consider it. If not the Magnum, then I would suggest the Cruze LT over the LTZ.
Happy Motoring !!
I have, but it's a little old now. Still great to drive though.
Can I ask why you'd recommend the LT over the LTZ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
If ride, handling and built quality are very important, then it has to be Laura but only with DSG (reason being 140bhp). Otherwise, it has to be Cruze. Hyundai, i dont expect to be dynamically brilliant as lauras (important for self driven class).
The DSG Laura's out of budget, to be honest. The most important ride and handling aspect I look for in a diesel car is how the front end behaves in the corners. Sometimes diesels (petrols too) have a very heavy / understeery feel to them which sucks all the fun out of the drive. The Cruze doesn't have that.
But yes, I'd agree that at high speeds the Laura would probably be a bit more planted.

Last edited by ghostrider : 9th January 2012 at 16:13.
ghostrider is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 17:44   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,116
Thanked: 3,490 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Say, wasnt the old elantra a proclaimed driver's car?
Might be worth the wait in that regard, and hope hyundai carry the legacy over.
mayankk is online now  
Old 9th January 2012, 17:45   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 508
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider
I have, but it's a little old now. Still great to drive though.
Can I ask why you'd recommend the LT over the LTZ?
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -

1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.

Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?

I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
Torquedo is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 18:09   #86
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -

1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.

Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?

I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
I was thinking along the same lines. The only other difference is the chrome surrounds around the dials which look nice in the LTZ, but they're not in the LT. But yeah... I get what youre saying.

Once I know for sure Im getting the Cruze then I'll decide pick which MT variant I know.
ghostrider is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 18:47   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,889 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
MT options only. The new Jetta is too expensive for something that shouldn't be quoting at a premium, in my opinion. Yes, the Yeti's nice but (a) too boxy (b) not really a performance enthusiast's cup of tea, (C) Skoda after-sales and (D) I dont need an SUV, even a mini one.
Regarding the Fluence: (a) no indications that the Fluence is a great car to drive (b) Renault is too new in India for me to consider them (c) and nothing about it thrills me (d) unknown long term ownership costs.
Well, I guess you are quite decided on the Cruze, which indeed is a nice car. All the best!
vb-san is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 18:54   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Well, I would recommend you to wait for the Elantra. Anyways, GM will be releasing the facelifted (and engine lifted?) Cruze in around April - May (speculated), so you have time to play the waiting game. I am really sure that Elantra will be more loaded than the Cruze, but it will be beaten in sheer performance.

But I personally feel that, after comparing and test driving both, you will go with the Cruze
_raVan_ is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 18:54   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

@ghostrider : Cruze is indeed a great car. You might want to check on when the facelifted model is coming though - it should be anytime soon. Apparently that's going to be 163bhp and even more torque.
SkyWalker is offline  
Old 9th January 2012, 19:04   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

For a self-driven, MT option the Cruze chews the Laura for breakfast. 40 more horses, infinitely more gizmoed interiors and the all-black instead of the dull beige of the Laura means you will have a true rocket on your hands. While GM is not exactly the benchmark for service, anything will surely be better than Skoda's a.s.s woes!

Didn't get why the Elantra is even *in* this list given that it isn't launched yet!
noopster is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing to Cruze - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT. (First 500 kms) a.sundaram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 22nd April 2014 16:46
Jetta 2.0CRDI comfort line or Laura Elegance 2.0CRDI with DSG msd63 Sedans 59 10th September 2010 10:21
I chose to Cruze, with a white Cruze LTZ ajay mathew Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 16th June 2010 15:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks