Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 14:01   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 507
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Did a little checking on Carwale and found that the difference (ex-showroom Del) is actually 1.5L, not 2.5 (12.2 vs 13.7), which will be about 1.8 on the road. Also, the feature difference between the LT and the LTZ is as follows:
  1. Leather seats and steering wheel
  2. Front Fog Lights
  3. Size of screen for audio info display
  4. Cruise control
  5. Eyeglasses holder
  6. Door handles (body color with chrome)
  7. Moisture-sensitive wiper system (Rain Sensor)
  8. Floor console (2 cupholders) with sliding armrest
  9. Rear park Assist
  10. PEPS (Passive entry passive start)
  11. Power windows with express down for rear driver side window
  12. Six speaker premium setup
  13. 4-way adjustable front seats instead of 2-way.
  14. Sun-roof/moon-roof.
Leave Carwale, goto the official website.

LT - 12.09
LTZ - 14.50

1) I said the upholstery you would get on the LTZ, on the LT you have the customization option with a lesser pricing.

2) Again OEM would be available with the dealer, please check Mobike008's thread he has done it.

3) Rest all are cosmetic things, if you feel like plonking your bucks, you might as well, my suggestion would be a negation.
Torquedo is offline  
Old 11th January 2012, 14:35   #107
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Leave Carwale, goto the official website.

LT - 12.09
LTZ - 14.50

1) I said the upholstery you would get on the LTZ, on the LT you have the customization option with a lesser pricing.

2) Again OEM would be available with the dealer, please check Mobike008's thread he has done it.

3) Rest all are cosmetic things, if you feel like plonking your bucks, you might as well, my suggestion would be a negation.
I wasnt trying to argue.... was simply elaborating on what you said. There will of course be whatever negotiation is possible with whichever manufacturer/dealer I decide on.
ghostrider is offline  
Old 11th January 2012, 14:52   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 507
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I wasnt trying to argue.... was simply elaborating on what you said. There will of course be whatever negotiation is possible with whichever manufacturer/dealer I decide on.
The question was on the pricing part, you quoted the incorrect prices, which I corrected upon.

On your elaborations, I gave my thoughts, that is the sole reason where we are here @ TBHP.

Negotiation and call on the manu/dealer is your sole right offcourse, I have been trying hard that you invest your moolah in the right brand, product and most importantly the Variant.

Half of we Indians buy engineering gems not for the machinery but for the so called GIZMOS, that is our bad.

Bluetooth, CASKA and blah blah are cosmetics that you can add upon till ages, when you sell your car, you get a penny for them.

If by any means you felt offended by my suggestions, then it is my bad, I gave suggestions, you might wanna buy them or strike them off your list.

Last edited by Torquedo : 11th January 2012 at 14:53.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 16:30   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,268
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Also, the feature difference between the LT and the LTZ is as follows:
  1. Leather seats and steering wheel
  2. Front Fog Lights
  3. Size of screen for audio info display
  4. Cruise control
  5. Eyeglasses holder
  6. Door handles (body color with chrome)
  7. Moisture-sensitive wiper system (Rain Sensor)
  8. Floor console (2 cupholders) with sliding armrest
  9. Rear park Assist
  10. PEPS (Passive entry passive start)
  11. Power windows with express down for rear driver side window
  12. Six speaker premium setup
  13. 4-way adjustable front seats instead of 2-way.
  14. Sun-roof/moon-roof.
Ghostrider,

Glad you liked my list. However, don't trust Carwale or even the Chevy India website. When I bought my LT in June 2011, Chevy had not updated parts of their own site with the new LT changes!

For example, the LT also has the identical 6 speaker setup (does LTZ have 8?), the sunglass holder and the exact same audio/vehicle settings display screen.

Also, consider buying the fogs. Depending on which body colour you want, it looks neat. OEM Cost 9.5 k including installation with replacement switch.

Another blingy accessory is the neon-lit door sill plates. IMO, because the car is low-slung with wide door sills, the same gets scuffed/scratched very quickly especially with heavy boots or stilettos etc. But it's a personal thing!

Keep us informed!
itwasntme is online now  
Old 11th January 2012, 19:32   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 120
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

Yes, I saw this too.
Could you elaborate on what woes you've with Hyundai A.S.S and with which dealer?

I had a harrowing experience for Santro,fuel pump@6.5K each changed thrice in 5 months . Then during floods of 2005, Accent was submerged in water, went for repairing, took almost three months to get repaired, & in final bill, 3 Headlights & 3 Tail lights were charged for & some items, which were not replaced were also charged(Can't remember exactly but were worth a few thousand bucks). Can you believe this? Though bill was corrected after pointing out the mistakes, still it left a bad taste in mouth. Dealer on both occasions was Sanjay Hyundai, Bhosari-Pune. Even now, somewhere I read a TBHPian's(Maverick145) I20 engine failing at 1500 KMs & nothing done even after 3 weeks of keeping the car in workshop.Link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-1500-kms.html (New Hyundai I20 Petrol - Engine + ECU trouble - Car breaks down 1500 KMS)
I am not against Hyundai, but felt you should make an informed decision. Also, as far as GM service is concerned, My brother owns a Captiva at Ahmedabad since more than 2 years & satisfied so far. I own a POLO Diesel & so far, I am happy with service of VW in Pune . Hope this helps.

Last edited by nawalsingal : 11th January 2012 at 19:34. Reason: Correction
nawalsingal is offline  
Old 11th January 2012, 20:52   #111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

From the list, you seem to be inclined to diesel options! What we read on the new Elantra on the forum is that, it will come ONLY with the GDi / petrol option. And of the other two, I will opt for Cruze simply because it's NOT a Skoda. As you mentioned, though we have been hearing good things about Skoda, it will take a LOT of time to convince people like me before taking a plunge! If you are a die hard ICE fan, I suggest you opt for the lesser version [LT] and save the cash & use it on ICE, if the OEM quality of ICE in LTZ doesn't satisfy you.

For some reason, I still don't like the smart key operation where the key is NOT required to be slotted for starting the engine. Am ok with anyone being able to get in without a key, but NOT to start the vehicle - doesn't sound safe enough!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th January 2012 at 20:55.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 12th January 2012, 07:19   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,268
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For some reason, I still don't like the smart key operation where the key is NOT required to be slotted for starting the engine. Am ok with anyone being able to get in without a key, but NOT to start the vehicle - doesn't sound safe enough!
Cannot agree with you more! I have 2 hyperactive kids and many a time I go out on short errands with them involving multiple stops with few minutes' work each; I tend to leave them in the car because my area is very sleepy and safe. However, I ALWAYS switch off and take my (normal) key with me in such cases. With a smart PEPS, it only needs an inquisitive touch and the car will start because I am in the shop a few metres away!

I also dislike the one-touch UP feature because (even with anti-pinch), a child can get hurt/traumatized by the experience. I prefer manual operation. One-touch DOWN is great :-)
itwasntme is online now  
Old 12th January 2012, 16:52   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
..What we read on the new Elantra on the forum is that, it will come ONLY with the GDi / petrol option.
Guess I mixed it with new Sonata! Just saw a tweet from Siddarth [ACI] that Elantra will mostly be launched in ONLY Diesel variant & Auto option is likely to be there & a mid 2012 launch is speculated!
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 00:36   #114
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme

Cannot agree with you more! I have 2 hyperactive kids and many a time I go out on short errands with them involving multiple stops with few minutes' work each; I tend to leave them in the car because my area is very sleepy and safe. However, I ALWAYS switch off and take my (normal) key with me in such cases. With a smart PEPS, it only needs an inquisitive touch and the car will start because I am in the shop a few metres away!

I also dislike the one-touch UP feature because (even with anti-pinch), a child can get hurt/traumatized by the experience. I prefer manual operation. One-touch DOWN is great :-)
Couldn't disagree with you more! You cannot start the car by having the key a few metres out of the car. The door unlocks only when the key is one metre away or lesser. You can try it yourself! More importantly, you cannot start the car if the key is not in the car. As an additional safety measure, the clutch has to be depressed fully for the car to start. So, you can keep the car keys in your pocket, walk out of the car to do your errands, and rest assured, your children cannot start the car.

Also there is no one touch UP feature in the cruze. It is only one touch DOWN feature!

And in my books, the cruze wins hands down! Just change the tyres to something that does justice to the power that the car has and then anyone who says that the car is unstable at triple digit speeds will have to eat their words!
rajivrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 11:13   #115
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post

And in my books, the cruze wins hands down! Just change the tyres to something that does justice to the power that the car has and then anyone who says that the car is unstable at triple digit speeds will have to eat their words!
I own and driven peted elantra, have earlier owned skodas and modded city etc. but trust me it is not stable ( here comparison is b/w cruze vs elantra and skoda) in triple digit speeds and also stable when going from those speeds back to zero. You can ask Bangalore bhpians who are regular on night drives to known whats stable under hard braking really means!!

P.S Lot of people have eaten words, sentences and paragraphs earlier

Last edited by raj.barcode : 13th January 2012 at 11:15.
raj.barcode is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 13:55   #116
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
I own and driven peted elantra, have earlier owned skodas and modded city etc. but trust me it is not stable ( here comparison is b/w cruze vs elantra and skoda) in triple digit speeds and also stable when going from those speeds back to zero. You can ask Bangalore bhpians who are regular on night drives to known whats stable under hard braking really means!!
I've never driven the Elantra but I have driven the Cruze at 100+ speeds and the car felt very stable indeed. I haven't tried an emergency braking situation from those speeds for obvious reasons (friends' cars) so I wouldn't be able to comment. I am however most probably TD'ing the Cruze against this weekend (dealership is sending me a car) and I plan on trying to simulate a hard braking situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Couldn't disagree with you more! You cannot start the car by having the key a few metres out of the car. The door unlocks only when the key is one metre away or lesser. You can try it yourself! More importantly, you cannot start the car if the key is not in the car. As an additional safety measure, the clutch has to be depressed fully for the car to start.
Yes, the PEPS feature actually has enough failsafes to ensure something like this doesnt happen. Also, we have no kids, but we do have one hyperactive Labrador, but I think the lack of opposable thumbs might prevent him accidentally starting the car and driving off with it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Correction!

Guess I mixed it with new Sonata! Just saw a tweet from Siddarth [ACI] that Elantra will mostly be launched in ONLY Diesel variant & Auto option is likely to be there & a mid 2012 launch is speculated!
I heard this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I will opt for Cruze simply because it's NOT a Skoda. As you mentioned, though we have been hearing good things about Skoda, it will take a LOT of time to convince people like me before taking a plunge!
Likewise. I have no issue with the Laura as a car, but I don't want the specter of a nasty ownership experience (courtesy the after-sales services) hanging over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you are a die hard ICE fan, I suggest you opt for the lesser version [LT] and save the cash & use it on ICE, if the OEM quality of ICE in LTZ doesn't satisfy you.
The LT is definitely an option. To be honest, I'd like to see both cars side-by-side on the showroom floor to compare them. You could say that garnishes like chrome etc have no value, but at the end of the day they all add up to providing an overall appreciation of the car you drive. Enhanced trim does offer a more expensive feel than cut-down trim... just ask any Ikon owner who bought the 1.6ZXi vs the lower-trip models. The insides of the lower models just look like they're from a much cheaper car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Ghostrider,
Glad you liked my list. However, don't trust Carwale or even the Chevy India website. When I bought my LT in June 2011, Chevy had not updated parts of their own site with the new LT changes!
For example, the LT also has the identical 6 speaker setup (does LTZ have 8?), the sunglass holder and the exact same audio/vehicle settings display screen.
Also, consider buying the fogs. Depending on which body colour you want, it looks neat. OEM Cost 9.5 k including installation with replacement switch.
Another blingy accessory is the neon-lit door sill plates. IMO, because the car is low-slung with wide door sills, the same gets scuffed/scratched very quickly especially with heavy boots or stilettos etc. But it's a personal thing!
Keep us informed!
Thanks a lot itwasntme. I'm most likely going over to the dealership tomorrow to see what's what. If I do buy the LT, then yes, I would get the OEM fogs.
I'll update this thread with my thoughts to the dealership on Saturday. If I've got time, then I'll check out the Skoda dealership too. Timeframe for buying the car would be March.
ghostrider is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 16:30   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,268
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Couldn't disagree with you more! You cannot start the car by having the key a few metres out of the car. The door unlocks only when the key is one metre away or lesser. You can try it yourself! More importantly, you cannot start the car if the key is not in the car. As an additional safety measure, the clutch has to be depressed fully for the car to start. So, you can keep the car keys in your pocket, walk out of the car to do your errands, and rest assured, your children cannot start the car.

Also there is no one touch UP feature in the cruze. It is only one touch DOWN feature!
Apologies, you are correct - am just an ignorant LT owner
Just wanted to clarify that I actually like it that Chevy globally does not offer the 1-touch UP feature. Did not mean that the Cruze has the feature. I think VW/Skoda does.

Only remaining issue with PEPS is that once the car has been started, it does not need the continued presence of the keyfob. As mobike008 mentions on his thread, while retrieving his care from valet parking, the valet brought his car to him without handing over the keyfob. Mobike008 drove away and only realised some time later; luckily managed to return and get the same back!
itwasntme is online now  
Old 13th January 2012, 16:48   #118
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Only remaining issue with PEPS is that once the car has been started, it does not need the continued presence of the keyfob. As mobike008 mentions on his thread, while retrieving his care from valet parking, the valet brought his car to him without handing over the keyfob. Mobike008 drove away and only realised some time later; luckily managed to return and get the same back!
Whoops!!! If I do indeed get the LTZ then I'm going to put a post-it on the dash that says "Get key-fob back from valet!"
ghostrider is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 16:50   #119
BHPian
 
informmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banglore/Madras
Posts: 218
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: 2012 Diesel Midsizers: Cruze vs Laura vs Elantra: Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With an ex-showroom price difference of 2.5L , the OTR difference would be close to 3L+ (Reg, Insurance and stuff included).

What you get for 3L + is -

1) Sunroof
2) Leather upholstery.
3) Fog Lamps.

Do you think this kinda money is justified for the above stated items?

I don't think so, the LT makes a VFM proposition to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I was thinking along the same lines. The only other difference is the chrome surrounds around the dials which look nice in the LTZ, but they're not in the LT. But yeah... I get what youre saying.

Once I know for sure Im getting the Cruze then I'll decide pick which MT variant I know.
Common Guys,

There are other difference apart from these 3 points. If it were these 3 points, I too agree that 3L is not justified. Here are the other differences between LT and LTZ

The features listed below are available in LTZ and not in LT

1) Power Folding and Heated Outside Mirrors
2) Rear Parking Assist
3) Rain Sensitive Wiper System
4) Cruise Control
5) Intelligent Programmable Passive Entry
6) Passive Start with Push Button Ignition On/Off
7) Automatic Inside Rear View Mirror
8) Bluetooth Music Streaming

Does this justifies the cost? If you feel that these are not required for you, then definitely LT is the way to go, else LTZ all the way.

Last edited by informmaha : 13th January 2012 at 16:53.
informmaha is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing to Cruze - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT. (First 500 kms) a.sundaram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 22nd April 2014 16:46
Jetta 2.0CRDI comfort line or Laura Elegance 2.0CRDI with DSG msd63 Sedans 59 10th September 2010 10:21
I chose to Cruze, with a white Cruze LTZ ajay mathew Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 16th June 2010 15:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks