Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th October 2009, 22:55   #31

Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
As experienced drivers we tend to forget that driving is actually an inherently dangerous activity-- you're in charge of hundreds of kilograms travelling at speed. Safety is paramount on the road and a completely deaf driver would be an outright hazard. I must say there's no way I would let such a person drive me or anyone I care about anywhere. Would you let a deaf taxi driver drive you around?
, IMHO we have enough bad drivers already on the road (although they're physically fit), and we don't want anyone challenged with hearing or vision to make it worse. (Having said that, I'm not against any physically challenged person)

Driving is an art which requires one to be constantly aware of what’s happening around with all their senses active, for reflex action in case required.

Driver with lack of hearing may not make any difference with a normal one at Zero speed. However, just imagine a vehicle moving at 60 KMPH and has developed an unusual noise from engine which requires immediate attention!
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Weird discussion!

Driving is a luxury not a right. I so hope people would take this more seriously. Not everyone should drive. You have to prove that you are qualified enough to do it.

Everyday I see young kids speeding away to glory and aunties struggling with their sarees while at the wheel. I wonder why for Indians obtaining a license never poses a problem.

Afaik, in US or UK anyone wishing to obtain a DL undergoes proper theoretical and practical exams. Why is this not implemented in India? Why does every Tom, Dick, Harry get to drive a car?

This particular case can not be used as a generalisation for all deaf people. The extent of deafness would be an important factor and perhaps a few road tests would throw up results which would clarify his road-fitness.

Let us not get emotional and lose all reason.

Of course the RTO is qualified to pass a judgment. This is part of their duties.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote