Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 18:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Driving License for a person born deaf

Just thought I should share this with you guys.

The other day on CNN I saw a citizen journalist bring up an issue of him not being able to get a valid driving license in India.
The RTO rejected his application and had marked the same as unfit to drive.

The person is adamant to get a DL and I am sure from the way things were projected in the show, he will get one soon. I am not against the person as I think he should definitely enjoy his rights.

However how safe are the other road users?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 18:42   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,375
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Hmm can anyone shed light on what the law says regarding how to classify someone as fit/unfit to drive? Only after that can we conclude whether or not he can get a DL.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 18:54   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

When the ICE is turned on at a reasonable volume, most of us are as good as deaf to the outside world. I don't see why this person should be denied a DL on safety grounds. If deafness is a safety issue, ICE is a safety issue as well.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 20:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Just ask him to try another RTO.

They are supposed to check your vision not hearing. Only thing he needs to constantly check the RVMs as he cannot hear the honks.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 22:05   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 258
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Boss! Driving is a previlige, not a right.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
aparth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

If he is given a driver's licence, then won't it put all the other vehicles at a huge risk as he won't be able to hear any horns.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 01:35   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 479 Times
Default

Well trust me guys, the horn thing is stupid. If you check your RVM regularly should be good enough. A person in our place has this problem but is one of the coolest and calmest driver i have seen. Never would you be stuck behind him and never does he over speed.

@subscrive: Buddy already there are so many things in our country which is a privilege so please dont add license to that list.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 01:51   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

Atleast the guy is trying to get a license. What if he simply gets behind the wheels and starts driving around.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 05:39   #9
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Good grief, does this mean that the RTO thinks that the horn is an absolute necessity to drive? I dont recall any such prejudices against color blind people - which IMHO are more of a 'threat' in driving conditions. Completely babu-type decision. This gent deserves his license if he can show he knows how to drive.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 07:15   #10
BHPian
 
simplythebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Good grief, does this mean that the RTO thinks that the horn is an absolute necessity to drive? I dont recall any such prejudices against color blind people - which IMHO are more of a 'threat' in driving conditions. Completely babu-type decision. This gent deserves his license if he can show he knows how to drive.
I'm sure other factors like the ability to hear ambulances, and other emergency vehicles can also be factors rather than horns alone.
simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 09:32   #11
BHPian
 
CoolFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trichur, Kerala
Posts: 261
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Surely in our country, disabled persons are better drivers. Never would they put other people at risk like our really bad 'healthy' drivers can.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 09:42   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Hmm can anyone shed light on what the law says regarding how to classify someone as fit/unfit to drive? Only after that can we conclude whether or not he can get a DL.
I think license are not granted to people born deaf. Differently abled people get a license provided they make the necessary mods to their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
When the ICE is turned on at a reasonable volume, most of us are as good as deaf to the outside world. I don't see why this person should be denied a DL on safety grounds. If deafness is a safety issue, ICE is a safety issue as well.
This was the exact point the citizen journalist was making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Just ask him to try another RTO.

They are supposed to check your vision not hearing. Only thing he needs to constantly check the RVMs as he cannot hear the honks.
Isn't it mandatory that all our senses need to be intact to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Boss! Driving is a previlige, not a right.
Maddy42 has reciprocated to your thoughts. I am of the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
If he is given a driver's licence, then won't it put all the other vehicles at a huge risk as he won't be able to hear any horns.
Of course he will. At least I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well trust me guys, the horn thing is stupid. If you check your RVM regularly should be good enough. A person in our place has this problem but is one of the coolest and calmest driver i have seen. Never would you be stuck behind him and never does he over speed.
Thats very nice to know. So he has a valid DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Atleast the guy is trying to get a license. What if he simply gets behind the wheels and starts driving around.
Scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Good grief, does this mean that the RTO thinks that the horn is an absolute necessity to drive? I dont recall any such prejudices against color blind people - which IMHO are more of a 'threat' in driving conditions. Completely babu-type decision. This gent deserves his license if he can show he knows how to drive.
They say in India, you need to have good brakes and good luck. Horn is an added privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
I'm sure other factors like the ability to hear ambulances, and other emergency vehicles can also be factors rather than horns alone.
Well thought. However as others mention here, he would be able to see the lights.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 09:50   #13
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 574
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Being deaf does not mean he should be deprived of a DL. I am completely against this prejudice. Like the way a diffrently challenged person has to make necessary adjustments to his vehicle in the same way , simple signage on a deaf persons vehicle like "Person driving this car is hearing impaired" can warn other cars his disability and they can be wary of him.

For example I have seen phone booths clearly stating that "This booth is run by a Visually handicap person. Please co-operate" . Same can be taken in this context too !

--Vikrant
vikrantj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 09:52   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

There is a colleague of wife (PSU bank). He got job on basis of his handicap - DEAF. (and he cannot speak too).

Had a two wheeler license, owns and drives one.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,375
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

I think the point about the ambulance sirens is the really valid one. Normally, one hears the siren long before seeing the ambulance in the RVM. It is unfortunate for him but the RTO does have a very good point here.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 470 5th December 2017 12:39
How to convert a foreign license to indian license gautamkhadse The Indian Car Scene 19 9th June 2017 21:53
And then a Mahindra XUV5OO was born! The Columbus was born! Columbus_500 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 16th September 2013 11:47
Driving comfort - especially for a short person choombak Technical Stuff 4 19th March 2008 18:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks