Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th October 2009, 16:49   #16
BHPian

it would be great to see an entry level sedan from toyota.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 10:26   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota commands a default premium (rightly so) for it's reliablity and hence the value it retains in their cars.

The Toyota small car (read premium hatch) would better the I20 numbers even if it were to offer a bit less at I20 Price point.

Honda Jazz is already dying a slow early death with numbers dropping significantly month on month.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 11:06   #18
BHPian

I have Seen quite a number of Yaris cars and have travelled in Yaris Taxis in Vietnam ( Hatch and Sedan) and must say it feels quite solid and decent looking.

Looks wise the hatch looks like a derivative of Swift and the sedan looks quite Okie ( You can easily make out who whose brother it is)

Size also is nothing to write about and I am very sure they have to price it pretty well as looks wise, space wise it cannot compete at all.

With the likes of Punto, I20, Vista, Jazz,New Swift and the soon to be launched Polo in the arena by the time it gets launched, I honestly feel they should look at newer options as that would give them that missing edge.

Last edited by muni : 26th October 2009 at 11:07.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 12:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well, Sedan upgradations from a hatch looks a bad job to me, be it Maruti, TATA or TOYOTA

Name:  toyotayarissedan2007.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  81.1 KB
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 16:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

As an existing Toyota customer, my service experience (chronicled in my review) makes it 100% certain that my next car will also be a Toyota.

A one day old example: after talking with Galaxy toyota service on Sat, they picked up my car on Sunday. Problem: AC diagnosis (was not cooling as it should when new). Picked up the car, diagnosed it, nothing was wrong except dirt and objects in AC filter/condensor (???). Work done: this was cleaned and serviced, gas topped up, car washed, minor work done (rubbing on one scratch, one third-party sticker removed from windscreen, one bubble gum mark on leather seat removed, doors greased, and car delivered at 430 PM. My feedback: whatever was done has made a significant difference.

The biggest thing is the cost: Rs. 250 (that too for pick up).

This is not the first time and will not be the last as each trip to their service has been totally predictable and excellent.

I really in more than 200,000 km of car driving have not seen such levels of service, and I will repay their commitment to existing customers by making my next car also a Toyota.

Last edited by vasudeva : 26th October 2009 at 16:42.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As an existing Toyota customer, my service experience (chronicled in my review) makes it 100% certain that my next car will also be a Toyota.

A one day old example: after talking with Galaxy toyota service on Sat, they picked up my car on Sunday. Problem: AC diagnosis (was not cooling as it should when new). Picked up the car, diagnosed it, nothing was wrong except dirt and objects in AC filter/condensor (???). Work done: this was cleaned and serviced, gas topped up, car washed, minor work done (rubbing on one scratch, one third-party sticker removed from windscreen, one bubble gum mark on leather seat removed, doors greased, and car delivered at 430 PM. My feedback: whatever was done has made a significant difference.

Dont you feel that it would be difficult to maintain the same levels of service once they get in a volumes car. I dont intend to take away the excellent work ethics and the guidelines for work.

I only wish they dont get a product which would be a bit dated at the time of launch in 2011 as planned.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 17:23   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep Toyota makes boring cars that are not at all exciting, no chance to visit the showrooms regularly, no fights with the service engineers and no chance of being stranded on the highway to admire other cars as they zoom by. So unexciting. If we all bought only toyota's so many mechanics would go job less.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Toyota commands a default premium (rightly so) for it's reliablity and hence the value it retains in their cars.
The premium is justifiable but their reputation for quality has been built on larger Camry/Corolla type sedans or SUVs.

Whether the small car deserves a premium depends on if it is equally rugged and reliable, at least by comparison to the competition.

For example Innova and Qualis enjoy a premium over Sumo because they last for perhaps 250,000 km while the latter might start acting up after 150,000 km. A typical small car like Santro or i10 might be on it's last legs around 80,000 km on our roads. Can the Toyota small hatch last trouble free for at least 50,000 km more? Then I am willing to pay a reliability premium for it, on the contrary if the life is similar I would prefer to buy some other good but cheaper car and junk it after 4 years.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:54   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

For example Innova and Qualis enjoy a premium over Sumo because they last for perhaps 250,000 km while the latter might start acting up after 150,000 km. A typical small car like Santro or i10 might be on it's last legs around 80,000 km on our roads. Can the Toyota small hatch last trouble free for at least 50,000 km more? Then I am willing to pay a reliability premium for it, on the contrary if the life is similar I would prefer to buy some other good but cheaper car and junk it after 4 years.

Yep they have earned the repuation due to the corolla and the camry, but yet it's the fortuner with the 5000 waitlist and not say the 5 lac cheaper tata safari or 7 lac cheaper scropio. Some do prefere to buy the scorpio or safari and then junk it in lesser number of years, in the small car segment there are many in India who keep their cars for 7-9 years and the toyota may benifit them - especially if they also run up high kms, but there will always be other who avoid the 30% permium and then just get rid of the car earlier.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:22   #25
BHPian

I have driven both the Yaris & the Vios (the sedan versioon of the Yaris) while I was staying in KL. Infact, I have taken the Vios on most of my long drives and its a pleasure driving that car. I dont think any of you have driven a car which is so smooth at the price (if it is sold at the price it is sold there). It is priced between the Swift (yes, the hatch! as you dont get the Desire anywhere else) & City there. The gearshift and steering are unbelievebly smooth. Although, the steering is very light (it has hydraulic power steering - hate the EPS), has awesome feedback on the highways. I used to do 150-190 kmph regularly on the highways and also pay the fines Its a car to look out for.

Its looks are quite decent, may not be a stunner! But a very good and comfortable family car. Have never broken down or given me any trouble while I had it in KL. Had bought it second hand. When I had bought it, it had done about 45k and sold it at 60k. And service was always good! Would buy a Toyota anyday..

Its the whole experience of owning a Toyota (the car, service, peace of mind) that people keep become Toyota loyalists once they have bought one! And their reputation is just not for Corolla/ Camry but also for their smaller cars like the Vios (which sell more in SE Asian countries).

They also manage to outsell Toyota in each and every county in SE Asia! (inside info as Honda used to be my client there!!)

Last edited by sarmarishi : 3rd November 2009 at 11:35.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:33   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

This is not the first time and will not be the last as each trip to their service has been totally predictable and excellent.

I really in more than 200,000 km of car driving have not seen such levels of service, and I will repay their commitment to existing customers by making my next car also a Toyota.
this is one of the major reasons why me & my dad will be going to a toyota this time. I have had below average experiences with FORD service centres. Saw & experienced Toyota's undying commitment towards their customers during the test drive only, as compared to honda people who were like "our car sells... if you won't buy, anybody else will".

Honda guys didn't even cared to explain the features. It was like he was sitting on the co-drivers seat just to keep an eye on us so that I don't run away with his useless TD civic... damn!

P.S - this weekend, I'm going to TD the civic from a different dealer...

Last edited by thorpe : 3rd November 2009 at 11:40.
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:07   #27
BANNED

toyota and honda shares their brand value in our market which is why their charged premium on their products are well accepted but then toyota having a trouble free ownerships and quality assured, surely their small car would be hit anyday, say if they are some 20-40 grands above i20's range still it would sell.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep they have earned the repuation due to the corolla and the camry, but yet it's the fortuner with the 5000 waitlist and not say the 5 lac cheaper tata safari or 7 lac cheaper scropio. Some do prefere to buy the scorpio or safari and then junk it in lesser number of years, in the small car segment there are many in India who keep their cars for 7-9 years and the toyota may benifit them - especially if they also run up high kms, but there will always be other who avoid the 30% permium and then just get rid of the car earlier.
Correct, and one more factor that would probably come in to the buying decision is the re-sale value. Going by other Toyota products the resale value is likely to be the best in the market, probably better than Maruti even.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote