Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th November 2009, 17:05   #211
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Indigo xL also comes in 3 Engines: DiCOR (2 variants), Petrol (2 Variants), TDi (One Variant). Total 5.
Dude, the Indigo XL has only 2 engine options - DICOR DIESEL & TWINCAM PETROL. There's no TDI option!!!!!!!!!!
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 17:12   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Dude, the Indigo XL has only 2 engine options - DICOR DIESEL & TWINCAM PETROL. There's no TDI option!!!!!!!!!!
The TDi option is also there but available in the taxi market, priced at about 5,29,000 ex-delhi.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 17:29   #213
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The TDi option is also there but available in the taxi market, priced at about 5,29,000 ex-delhi.
When i got my XL in 2007 there was no mention of it in the brochure or anywhere !!!!!!! When was it launched???
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 17:30   #214
Senior - BHPian

I think at one point, the indica diesel alone was available in 10+ variants
from the top
Indica DLX turbo, DLX Turbo with ABS/Airbags
Indica DLG turbo, DLG DiCOR
Indica DLS, DLS Turbo, DLS Dicor
Indica DLE, DL
Indicab DLE, DL

And there were BSII and BSIII variants of the NA models
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 19:55   #215
BHPian

unfotunately, such 'learned salespeople' are not found in india alone. when i went to take a test drive for my montero(pajero in dubai), the saleman had completely goofed up. my dad was driving, the sales guys was sitting next to him and i was in the back. i asked if the car had tweeters. hes like:

'yes sir!! this car has tweeters on the dashboard, and front and rear doors aswell!!'

next, when we were going asking about the safety features,
he said:
yes sir!! this car has an advanced "anti-braking system"

both me and my dad, knew what it meant, and we could have put the fellow into a mess as my dad was a good friend of the showroom manager, but my dad took the time to explain what it meant to the salesman. he was really embarassed!!

i can only imagine what would have happened had i taken the lancer evo for a spin!!!

Last edited by Eddy : 17th November 2009 at 21:54. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed.
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 04:03   #216
BHPian

poor guys they just do it for money, i feel bad for them, they have so much work pressure sometimes. they just loose interest in cars!! and they are not necessarily car fanatics!! as i said they see it as just another job and do it for the money!
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 10:22   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
poor guys they just do it for money, i feel bad for them, they have so much work pressure sometimes. they just loose interest in cars!! and they are not necessarily car fanatics!! as i said they see it as just another job and do it for the money!
I have a problem with this statement. Excuse me sir but do you work for charity all your life and never expected/demanded that you be paid for your job. Then that's really admirable. .

The fact that these people did not do their job properly and with passion is regrettable. Yes, may be they have too much work pressure and may be they are underpaid, that's no reason to laugh off them. Imagine how odd it'll feel to be at the receiving end of this in your own job.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:23   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
I have a problem with this statement. Excuse me sir but do you work for charity all your life and never expected/demanded that you be paid for your job. Then that's really admirable. .

The fact that these people did not do their job properly and with passion is regrettable. Yes, may be they have too much work pressure and may be they are underpaid, that's no reason to laugh off them. Imagine how odd it'll feel to be at the receiving end of this in your own job.
The thread is meant to highlight certain *exceedingly stupid* comments made by some executives.

If one of us is as incompetent at his own job, then the person would get equally laughed at.

No one is laughing at them for working under pressure or because they are underpaid... the subject of humour is the incredible stupidity of some comments.

If however, you feel that this is against your own moral edicts. You are most welcome to not participate.

In my personal capacity, I feel there is nothing wrong with laughing at a bunch of inept idiots.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:59   #219
Senior - BHPian

i have maintained for quite a while that many of these TV Auto Presenters are mere "poseurs" - definitely not in the same class as the International ones.

It is also true of Auto -magazine journalism in India where many of the chaps are trying desperately hard to live up to the standards of humour and writing found in the international editions of the same magazines (and I may add, failing by miles!).

There was a very telling comment in the Letters to the Ed in the latest (NOV 09) Top Gear where the letter writer requested the journos to kindly stop trying to write like Jeremy Clarkson and focus on the facts at hand instead! Thats an absolute truth!

Am glad that as readers/ consumers our standards remain high and that many others in India appear to feel the same way about "poseurs" in the Journo circles both in magazines and on TV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Guys, I was surfing channels today and found 'Overdrive' being broadcast on CNBC awazz, they were doing a comparo between the Swift and the Vista disels, the guy coolly explains the safety features - Both cars have ABS-'Anti Braking System' !!! Its disgusting to know even Overdrive does mistakes like this
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:51   #220
Team-BHP Support

Not to forget the car shows in most news channels give out wrong information. Anybody who knows cars well can point out endless list of wrong info they give out.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 15:05   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is also true of Auto -magazine journalism in India where many of the chaps are trying desperately hard to live up to the standards of humour and writing found in the international editions of the same magazines (and I may add, failing by miles!).

There was a very telling comment in the Letters to the Ed in the latest (NOV 09) Top Gear where the letter writer requested the journos to kindly stop trying to write like Jeremy Clarkson and focus on the facts at hand instead! Thats an absolute truth!
Of course if auto magazines were to stick to facts alone that would completely destroy
a. The next generation of auto-story script writers
b. The market for newsprint, as each edition would just be an updated table of all the specs of all cars

mrwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 18:14   #222
BHPian

Yesterday while TDing a petrol Manza :
Rep: Sir , torque power is very good in this car , it is more than a Linea.

Me:( trying to gently indicate! What is the linea's torque )?

Rep: Sir , I have to check the manual. But I know this car has more torque power!

The dude was an MBA fresh out of a Bangalore college, but still...

Next thing he was telling me about Bill gates being not a college graduate
and then hiring toppers from the college he dropped out of..Me was nodding and
trying to test the car on various parameters..

Result of test : Car passed (expectations) , salesman failed !
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 23:03   #223
BHPian

im not really sure about the international auto journos being all that perfect.

if you guys have seen the video where richard hammond tests the lambo sv-670-4, he said that SV stood for 'SPORT VELOCE'. AFAIK sv stood for 'super veloce'.

im not saying that there is no difference between our local wannabes and these guys, but everyone fumbles once in a while.

but ofcourse, i HAVE to agree with the fact that some of our local guys are exaggerating a bit. but i genuinely enjoy watching 'the car and bike show' and the 'autocar show' simply because of their originality. all the others are real posers!!

anyways, lets not go OT shall we??
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:38   #224
Senior - BHPian

6 persons were newly recruited as sales consultants at a straight H branded dealership (cannot name it).

When I went to take a new brochure of City today, these persons were getting to know about the jazz. And then, a small, very bare basic written test was conducted for them.

Some answers written:
  • Front suspension: McDonald Strut
  • Rear: Torched Beam
  • One person writes: Torque: 1490 NM@4800 rpm
  • they say-the meter 0-220 kmph is a rpm tacho.
  • speedometer=tripmeter.
  • odometer is a tachometer.
No, these are not typos, but answers written by them.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:59   #225
BHPian

OT:
Few excerpts from the discussions that I had with few of my colleagues.

Excerpt 1
Colleague: Did you know that FIAT has launched a new model called "Puppet"?
Me: Puppet? You mean Punto?
Colleague: Yes, yes, Punto.

Excerpt 2
Colleague: I just went to one of the TATA showrooms with one of my friend. He says that FIAT has broken its tie-up with Maruti and has joined hands with TATA.
Me: (Speechless)

Excerpt 3
Colleague: Do you know that Punto's body is made of metal?
Me: What do you think other cars' body are made of?

I didn't even feel like correcting them because I didn't know where to start. I just said don't always go by hearsays, when you have the internet always at your disposal. You can always search in the internet if you are seriously considering buying a car. They are not serious, though.
autogeek is offline   Reply With Quote