Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th August 2012, 09:35   #481
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships

This happened yesterday during my Jetta Highline AT test drive.
Me: To the sales rep. "Have you seen any DSG issues with the Jetta so far?"
SR: "No Sir, this gearbox cannot have any issues."
Me: "Why?"
SR: "Sir, this gearbox has 2 bearings to shift gears unlike other gearboxes that have 1, so even if 1 bearing fails, the other takes over."

I thought of prodding him further but did not.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 11:48   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
xxx
I would beg to differ. Auto sales personnal are earning 50-70K per month.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ealership.html (Average income of Sales guys in Dealership))

Secondly - When employed in any Job, it is expected to be knowledgable about the product or at the very least, be modest to get back to the customer with Correct data. Telling lies or incorrect data is completely against ethics.

Recruit some uninformed people from the market and "Train" Them. It would not take huge sums of money or huge amount of time to do some in-house training. There are enough materials to be read online and internet connection is pretty cheap now-a-days. Attach a trainee with a senior sales personnal to "observe" how the senior person handles a customer.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 24th August 2012 at 12:00.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 14:28   #483
BHPian

50~70 is a bit too high to be considered as average.

Some maybe making it but a Maruti or Hyundai SE makes 20K max (atleast in Kerala/TN)
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 14:50   #484
BHPian

I was at a Renault Showroom yesterday and realized that majority of their sales force comprises of women. With high heels making them taller than me, make up and an accent which would make a flower die of shame, I could not help but think - Is it the right strategy?

A lot of car companies are now doing that. For e.g. VW, Nissan, Renault, Fiat, etc.

My only problem with this is that I am yet to come across a female SA that could actually show me around the car without making a mistake or without missing out on anything. I am not saying that their male counterparts are any better, but are still a little more knowledgeable and at least do not put up a fake face while talking.

Would love to hear thoughts from the fellow members on this.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:40. Reason: Let's not personally attack others please.
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 16:32   #485
Senior - BHPian

A petrol head like me, you and any member will find it ridiculous. But the sales force have marketing background. To please people the non technical way. You can ask views from non enthu people about their dealership experience. They will always appreciate young salesgirls showing them around cars in 'their' way, ie "Sir, this is latest technology" etc. People who go deeper into the 'technology' part are usually given vague explanations by the SA, which indicates the reason behind this thread . When I walk into any showroom, me and whoever is with me will do all the talking. SA will be a mere spectator, until we come to the formality part. My dad was royally pissed, when booking the SX4, the SA tried convincing us to settle with the VXi version. She even came to the point of telling how airbags can kill people, how expensive it is to fix it etc.

Same thing happens in service centers too. There are female representatives, neatly dressed, with an executive kind of look. My driver once asked "Does she even look like a mechanic?". Little did he know she has no idea what's running my car. Shoot some technical questions, she will go running for the manager. Whereas suppose an innocent, non petrol head customer drives in, she will softly and sweetly take him/her for a ride, convincing them to go for additional works, of what we hear these days. With a convincing smile, they make a couple of thousands - Marketing! All is marketing.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 16:59   #486
Senior - BHPian

While with many when they say that the sales executives at auto dealerships should be trained well but I would like to remind everyone is that most of them (if not all) are doing this job to earn a living. They have been assigned a task to sell a product and no matter how pathetic the car maybe, they have to convince the buyer to buy the car, clear the pending stock and generate sales for his/ her company. That is what they do and there is nothing wrong in that. If they are deceiving a potential buyer then it is wrong but if they are just justifying the negatives of a product, then you can't blame them.

Most of these executives are well versed with the 'features' and their 'main benefits' which is actually what a regular buyer would ask and would be interested in knowing. Now if some extra smart guys ask technical questions just to test the sales persons' knowledge, it really is not fair. Yes it is nice if they know it, but if not you can't blame them for that as they are not provided adequate training.

And the worst part what I find on this forum is that when people say that the sales guy told me this and that is why I walked away and did not buy the product. The truth is you did not want to buy the product cause either you did not like it after seeing it or for any other reason but you just want to blame someone for it. I'd request the guys here to be a lil more empathetic towards these people who are just doing a routine job and earning their bread butter instead of making ridiculous comments like they put make up to cover their 'hideous faces'. If they were pretty, spoke fluent English, had a pleasant personality and were intelligent, then probably they would be participating in a beauty pageant rather than selling cars for a measly 20-25k per month (which is the actual figure for most of the dealerships apart from merc, BMW and the likes).

Last edited by S2!!! : 26th August 2012 at 17:01.
S2!!! is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 17:33   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I was at a Renault Showroom yesterday and realized that majority of their sales force comprises of women. With high heels making them taller than me, make up hiding their hideous faces and an accent which would make a flower die of shame, I could not help but think - Is it the right strategy?
I don't understand your point at all. Its actually derogatory if I can call it that.
1. If a sales executive is taller than you, with heels or without, how does it matter?
2. "Make up hiding there hideous faces"- So is it wrong for them to be smartly dressed and use make up? BTW you do remember that its not a beauty pageant but a car showroom.
3. There accent is hideous- Again aren't Indians the subject of a lot of jokes for there accent? Ever watched one of those American comedians or shows? Provided they are able to explain the product to you in the local language or Accentized English, I don't see a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Most of these executives are well versed with the 'features' and their 'main benefits' which is actually what a regular buyer would ask and would be interested in knowing. Now if some extra smart guys ask technical questions just to test the sales persons' knowledge, it really is not fair. Yes it is nice if they know it, but if not you can't blame them for that as they are not provided adequate training.
+1. We doctors study a lot. But still if some extra smart dexter chooses to mug up everything about a disease/medicine and ask me questions on the same , I would be at a loss. No one can know everything about there field. I totally agree with your post that no one drops a car from there list only because the SA committed a mistake in telling them the BHP figures of the car.

Any sales executive needs to be smartly dressed, presentable, confident and polite. Those are the basic attributes for any profession across the board where you deal with customers.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th August 2012 at 17:40.
drmohitg is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 17:42   #488
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that.
SEs are there to just aid the prospective buyers with the purchase decision. Extra smart ones are anyway instructed to not to use their brain by their seniors (in all the fields).
I think there is absolutely no limit to how much one can learn, but still there will be a customer who will ask some technical question which the SE will not be aware of.
At the same time aren't SEs are capable to satisfy most of the buying public.
Smartones anyway have access to websites where they can check in and out of the car.
PS: I would like to know the opinion of fellow T-BHPians as to whether it is right to take one's family (especially kids) to the showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
While with many when they say that the sales executives at auto dealerships should be trained well but I would like to remind everyone is that most of them (if not all) are doing this job to earn a living.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 17:54   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
PS: I would like to know the opinion of fellow T-BHPians as to whether it is right to take one's family (especially kids) to the showroom.
Well its another interesting topic but not for this thread. I feel one should not take there kids(atleast the ones whom they cannot control) to any place where they are a nuisance be it a car showroom or a movie hall.
drmohitg is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:35   #490
BHPian

One of my friend is Sales lead at one of car dealership. He is also Team BHP member and extremely knowledgeable. But if some prospective customer mentions that he is TBHP member, this sales guy asks him "Team BHP? What is that?". Similarly, he does not disclose about his profession on forum.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 23:13   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't understand your point at all. Its actually derogatory if I can call it that.
1. If a sales executive is taller than you, with heels or without, how does it matter?
2. "Make up hiding there hideous faces"- So is it wrong for them to be smartly dressed and use make up? BTW you do remember that its not a beauty pageant but a car showroom.
3. There accent is hideous- Again aren't Indians the subject of a lot of jokes for there accent? Ever watched one of those American comedians or shows? Provided they are able to explain the product to you in the local language or Accentized English, I don't see a problem.
I meant to write that comment in a typical "Jeremy Clarkson" manner

When i say they are taller than me, have hideous face or accent, I did not literally point out at the SA's. I was trying to point out the sales strategy of the auto companies nowadays. Their way of luring in customers and trying to close a prospect deal.

BTW, I met with another incident today when I went to the Fiat Cafe Delhi.

I wanted to test drive a Punto D. SA says not possible. Why?
1. The car has a flat tyre
2. Its an accidental car that they have, so the car showed all kinds to troubles - Air brake problem, Brake Fluid low etc. etc. The Car clearly sad "DO NOT PROCEED".

Then I asked him if the Linea is available for the TD. He says yes, and brought the keys. I crank it up and .

I wouldnt start. Tried again, the car did not answer. The SA tried, same result. He went inside to ask someone and came back with the answer that the TD will not be possible for any car today. The car needs to go to the service centre, its broken down.

This incident may not be an SA's fault. But is more than enough to turn away a prospect customer. The SA was kind enough to offer me to bring the car tomorrow to my office in Noida for a TD though. The SA's as Fiat Caffe are pretty good. But the condition of the cars kept for TD are absolutely not.

I wonder whose responsible for the maintenance of the cars

Note: Only TWO smilies allowed per post. Please read the Announcements before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st August 2012 at 23:20. Reason: see note in post :)
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 15:45   #492
BHPian

99% of the Car Buyers dont care about the tech specs. I find that even some engineers are not particularly keen to know the tech specs beyond the creature comforts and the snazzy detailing & Mileage. Many highly educated buyers dont know the difference between Power & Torque, let alone Kgm or Nm, Kw vs BHP. Under the circumstances who is to blame if SEs working at minimum wage are not able to answer all queries. I am satisfied if they are courteous and and keep quite while I throw the Test Vehicle around.
SR71A is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 16:50   #493
BHPian

To sum it up in short:
The smart ones like T-bhpians do not have to depend on SEs to find out the technical details, they usually already know the answers. While others do not need/want to know technical details, hence SEs are not expected to have in depth technical know how.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 23:04   #494
Senior - BHPian

Sharing on behalf of my Non-TBHP Friend.

My friend went to a certain Toyota showroom looking for a black 4X4 Fortuner. We deduced they did not have stock of a black 4X4 but had a Black 4X2.

The Sales advisor was telling my friend that 4X4 (4H) and (4L) were for high speed and low speed driving Only. Fortuner itself performs very well in low and high speeds and one does not need 4X4 to travel in low/high speeds.

Needless to say my friend walked away from this dealership to another dealership.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:53   #495
BHPian

Saw this on cartrade dot com today. Introductory price till stocks last?

Comedy of Errors at Indian Dealerships-bentley.jpg
Bluu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote