Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th October 2009, 23:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Indias Biggest Commercial Vehicle Manufacturer (Tata Motors) dont have any operations in Chennai. They did not even consider Chennai for their recent plants (Bus Plant in Karnataka, Nano Plant in Gujarat).
Indias Biggest Car Manufactuerer (Maruti Suzuki) do not have any operations in Chennai.
Indias Biggest Two wheeler manufacturer (Hero Honda) is not based in Chennai.
Indias Biggest Three Wheeler Maker Bajaj auto is not based in India.

When you talk about Detroit, all the main ones GM, Ford and Chrysler are based in Detroit.

But i hope what happened to Detroit now will never ever happen to the "Detroit of South East Asia".
Old 25th October 2009, 01:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocarcr View Post

And just to clear ALL your doubts on what South Asia means- it is the region that includes the Indian Subcontinent and its neighbouring countries- Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangaladesh, Bhutan. Please brush up you geography before scoffing at facts. And yes, Chennai is the Detroit of South Asia, notwithstanding the fact that the Michigan Detroit is in trouble right now (actually it has already been bailed out).

You all agree that however much Detroit is in trouble, it retains its old vigour of being the worlds most industrialised belts in car manufacturing and Chennai singularly does the job in South Asia- which is a big feat.

I am merely pointing to you all a fact and you all can help by expanding the same not criticising. Please Google Search if you had more doubts.

Aditya,
Detroit of South Asia
Where did I say I have doubts about South Asia. IMO the term "south asia" is being used to dilute the importance of india and is being used as a substitute for the older term "Indian Sub-continent". Hence I would refrain from using that term as much as possible. But in this context also, if you could find or create a list of top 10 automobile cities of "South Asia", I would not be surprised if all of them are in India.

I recall that coimbatore was referred to as Manchester of South India, and now Chennai is detroit of South Asia. I would be happier if some other city in "south asia" is called as Chennai of Bhutan or Pakistan or Srilanka or Bangladesh.

Moreover I am also from Tamilnadu and you can count on me to know what is in chennai. But as of now chennai is not there yet, but the future looks great. I do like the regional pride but I confine my region to India .
Old 25th October 2009, 11:52   #18
BHPian

BHPians,

Let us not make this thread a "Chennai vs Rest of India"
Old 25th October 2009, 13:35   #19
BHPian

Every City has its own shine and charm . It was quite educative to know that some of the major automobiles and component manufacturers have units in Chennai . A sincere request, Let this thread be an educative one .
Old 25th October 2009, 18:21   #20
BHPian

i don't really see the point of the thread. the only thing i see happening is a lot of mud slinging between members arguing that their city is the best.! Ill be happy if we have a thread titled " India the next japan /Germany in automobile manufacturing!"

Last edited by amulu10 : 25th October 2009 at 18:24.
Old 26th October 2009, 00:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
i don't really see the point of the thread. the only thing i see happening is a lot of mud slinging between members arguing that their city is the best.! Ill be happy if we have a thread titled " India the next japan /Germany in automobile manufacturing!"
Reading some of the comments, this is one more instance of Indian "unity in diversity" rearing it's ugly head for the rest of the world to scoff at. The thread starter left out TVS from the list.That's what i'm upset about. Very upset.
Old 26th October 2009, 01:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

How can Chennai be the Detroit of South Asia when Maruti based in NCR owns 50% of the car market.

There are 3 auto industry clusters in India. NCR, Pune and Chennai. Chennai and Pune have a long history whereas NCR development is new (post Maruti).

I would say all 3 are neck to neck with Pune having the edge.

The tier-2 regions are Hosur, Uttharkhand and Pithampur.

I have heard all the TN newspapers say that but that is incorrect and biased.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th October 2009 at 01:58.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:32   #23
BHPian

The tag is because of the large number of part manufacturers in Chennai rather than OEMs. The TVS group, the Rane group, the Amalgamation group along with Visteon and Delphi control a large percentage of the auto parts market and supply to all leading OEMs.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:38   #24
BHPian

Detroit?

Why not call it Tokyo?

Or, why not you just become independent, and represent your city "unique" in its own right.

Detroit is just a bankrupt rusty town and no more.

I never hear Germans calling their bmw city "Detroit of Europe"

Last edited by aerohit : 26th October 2009 at 11:44. Reason: Be independent, not dependent
Old 26th October 2009, 12:38   #25
BHPian

I am from Chennai and familiar with the industrial development, which is quite impressive, nevertheless I think these type of threads though well-intentioned inevitably lead to friction and misunderstandings between people of various regions. As others have rightly pointed out I think there are 2 major auto-clusters in the country in MAH and TN and several secondary ones that could potentially be big. So perhaps this thread should be converted to something that tracks the auto industry across India and not just Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Detroit is just a bankrupt rusty town and no more.

I never hear Germans calling their bmw city "Detroit of Europe"
I agree. If it has to be called something I would prefer it to be called the Stuttgart of India. :-)

And what's with our media always referring to 'South Asia' whenever something positive happens in INDIA....I don't see any auto industry in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan or Maldives. Sorry for the OT.

Last edited by chncar : 26th October 2009 at 12:49.
Old 26th October 2009, 13:03   #26
BANNED

Angry Please Dont Fight!

MOD NOTE

Post Edited. Please note that discussion of moderator activity in public is not permitted. Go through the rules of the board before you proceed. You have already been infracted once for the same reason.

auto companies don't just involve a single CAR company which happens to have control over 48% of the market- it ranges from (AS I POINTED OUT EARLIER) Tanks, rail coaches, mining equipment, construction equipment- bull dozers, trucks, vans, buses, CARS as well as BIKES. (PLEASE READ MY POSTS FROM FIRST BEFORE RETALIATING AND CHANGING THE TOPIC NAME)) Chennai has earned its name as Detroit of South Asia (And brush up on your geography people) long time back because Tamil Nadu government was the first government to remove unfriendly industrial policies and implement the open industrial agreement with foreign companies- NO WONDER a host of other electronic companies have set up shop here. I am merely pointing out that the name has just stuck on and I am trying to give a few facts and building our knowledge- after team bhp is for that very same purpose.

Its something like, Bangalore, sorry Bengaluru was and is called the Garden City even though 30% of Bengaluru's trees have been raised to the ground recently for the Metro Rail project. But I dont see anyone saying- Bengaluru- is it the garden city?. No one can deny the fact that Bengaluru is the first outsourcing of IT work in India, second comes Chennai, followed by Hyderabad. These are all FACTS and they do not change.

Now instead of creating further uproar on this issue WHICH as I SAID in the beginning itself (I CREATED THIS THREAD) was to enlighten you on certain facts and that you are all welcome to add a few POSITIVES to it. IF anybody cannot agree to this then please dont bother creating a post here. This is for a peaceful discussion on a city which infact DOES live up to its name. All in all, every city has its own positives- like Mumbai is the largest city in India, and bangalore the largest IT city and Delhi is the capital- so why dont you all sit back and accept the fact that Chennai is in fact the Detroit of South Asia (Mods please revert my thread headline back to what it was as it is a fact and there is no doubt about facts) (and for other people Chennai is the CAR CAPITAL of India- happy?).

And now let us revert to any more knowledge about upcoming factories in Chennai or any other city if you please. Instead of creating unecessary fights.

Thanks to everyone those who have added material to this thread.
Let us gain more knowledge and accept the facts instead of debating on it unecessarily.

Thanks,
Aditya
Detroit of South Asia.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th October 2009 at 21:38.
Old 26th October 2009, 13:49   #27
BHPian

"Detroit of South Asia" is a title given to Chennai by the Media just like calling Mumbai, India's Shanghai or Bangalore the Silicon Valley of India, etc. Our Media has the habit of always comparing our best to the Western world. So guys, please donot fight for the reason behind calling Chennai as "Detroit". We will be better off discussing the Auto and component manufacturing Industry around Chennai than arguing on why it is called so

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 26th October 2009 at 13:51.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocarcr View Post
4) Mitsubishi/ Hindustan Motors (Alandur), no Thiruvallur
Upcoming:
13) Madras Rubber Factory (MRF) (Gummidipoondi) Hell,no, MRF has 2 factories in Chennai for as long as madras was called madras.
Aditya, my corrections in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Indias Biggest Commercial Vehicle Manufacturer (Tata Motors) dont have any operations in Chennai. They did not even consider Chennai for their recent plants (Bus Plant in Karnataka, Nano Plant in Gujarat).
Indias Biggest Car Manufactuerer (Maruti Suzuki) do not have any operations in Chennai.
Why this hatred or whatever against your fellow city. Have we forgotten to react gracefully ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I recall that coimbatore was referred to as Manchester of South India
Hey, that was Tirrupur being called as the Manchester of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How can Chennai be the Detroit of South Asia when Maruti based in NCR owns 50% of the car market.
Why should it not ? We are not discussing only the domestic market, we are talking about manufacture, aren't we ?

Does anyone know the export figures of Maruti, I can get you the figures for Hyundai & Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The thread starter left out TVS from the list.That's what i'm upset about. Very upset.

I understand, since you are in new york, you wouldn't know that TVS has its 2 wheeler factories at Hosur, TN and Mysore, KA and not in Chennai.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th October 2009 at 17:48. Reason: Thanks for the train info, but I dont have any travel plans for now.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:48   #29
BHPian

we have more Auto companies in Chennai mainly due to the ease import and export of cars through sea links and tax soaps & benifits award by TN goverment pulled some players here.

So when some auto company comes to India it will try to setup an factory where you will get benifited at max.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post

When you talk about Detroit, all the main ones GM, Ford and Chrysler are based in Detroit.

But i hope what happened to Detroit now will never ever happen to the "Detroit of South East Asia".
Pray, why so much animosity towards an innocuous thread? After all, the title was not invented by the thread starter. If you don't agree with it, why not just wink at it?

BTW I would like to know how many auto / component/ ancillary companies are present in (or even considered) your place! MRF is based in Chennai, but we all know where the promoters hail from, don't we?
Closed Thread