Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th October 2009, 15:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

This Wikipedia link tells you all you would want to know about the auto industry in Chennai. The original post is mostly stuff cut and pasted from here.

Automobile industry in Chennai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'm sure there are many other such sources that are updated and will be sufficient for anyone who is interested in the matter.

This thread is redundant. It tells us nothing new since Chennai didn't turn into the Detroit of the region overnight. The OP does not want to have a debate. So why waste server space with this silly thread when one post with that Wikipedia link would have sufficed? The only thing that this thread is doing is hosting a mud slinging competition between Chennai and other cities. Please close it mods.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:51   #32
BHPian

All this mud slinging is highly unwarranted. As quite a few people have already mentioned, its a title that was not self bestowed but handed down by what drives this country - The media and the Industrial sector. At the end of the day, its a term coined by the automobile industry themselves (ref: quotes by various chief of operations of auto cos)

The automobile industry as someone put it, is concentrated in 3 pockets and each have their own claims to fame. There is no dispute whatsoever on that statement but that does not put all the three on the same plane.

Since when did individual output volumes start deciding on the automotive aura of a location. It does not matter if X company puts out 49% of the total output or 9%, the factors that matter here are the number of companies in presence and the brand values of these companies. Also key to the issue are the number of equipment manufacturing units and the economic and practical support possibilities that a location offers. That is the reason behind the huge number of auto makers and ancilliary industries setting up shop in Chennai.

Whether you like it or not, its the preferred destination amongst the international and domestic auto makers. The detailed reasoning for the same has been put across already by someone here.

Referral by names that have been renowned globally is just for the sake of representation of global affairs at a domestic scale. These are the parameters against which comparison takes place. Just because someone calls Chennai the Detroit of South Asia, it does not take away the individuality of the city or its capacity to claim its own independent and exclusive place in international auto circles. Detroit created an unparalleled aura around itself about being the automobile city of the world and hence its the comparative benchmark. So there is no wrong in drawing reference from there. Yes of course over the long run, an individual identity should and would be formed so till then there is nothing wrong in references.

It was a very general thread with a very simple heading. Wonder why people draw their own individual perceptions which are not in line with what the thread starter had tried to state in his first thread. If anyone has reservations about what the thread title has to say please put it across as your opinion (guess everyone has forgotten the IMO abbreviation) and dont doubt the title because whether you like it or not Chennai is titled - THE DETROIT OF SOUTH ASIA - Ref: Wikipedia

EDIT : Guess I was a little late in putting up the WIKI reference. Anyway, this thread can help in useful sharing of information if used effectively. If its just going to be another place to vent out some misguided rage, guess the thread would be off line soon.

Last edited by petrol_head : 26th October 2009 at 15:55.
Old 26th October 2009, 16:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Detroit is hardly the analogy for a growth industry for automotives any more. TIME and Fortune have been recently running special reports on Detroit. Detroit's population has more than halved in the last two decades, the city is barely in the top 10 and losing people, and unemployment levels at 25-30% are amongst the highest. Please do not compare Chennai with Detroit.
Old 26th October 2009, 17:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would guess if someone who does not know about Chennai might be directed to the city as Detroit of India. We don't have to. Also, Chennai does not have R&D in auto, its just manufacturing if I am not wrong.
Why are we in India so hell bent on saying we are the best in South Asia? Who else is present in this region who could be competitive to us?
Old 26th October 2009, 18:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why are we in India so hell bent on saying we are the best in South Asia? Who else is present in this region who could be competitive to us?
Very True.
And who do you want us to be compared to Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal.
Nothing wrong against these countries.
Just think with whom you want your name to be taken with.
There is nothing as south Asia, you can refer it as Indian subcontinent also.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:50   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why should it not ? We are not discussing only the domestic market, we are talking about manufacture, aren't we.
I have no idea what the criteria is. I would love to see some figures myself.

There are no winners for this topic. What do you think will happen if people start arguing , "My kid is cuter than your kid"

In fact the companies that are doing hardcore R&D in India are Tata, Mahindra, Bajaj and TVS. None of them are in Chennai. Maruti is investing hugely in an R&D center and its coming up in NCR.
GM R&D is located in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why this hatred or whatever against your fellow city. Have we forgotten to react gracefully ? .
The Esteem that you 'love' so much is not made in Chennai but in Delhi. So can we call you as Delhi-car-lover then?
How come you did't go for Hyundai or Ford?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th October 2009 at 22:11.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Some companies need a port and that helped Chennai region/TN.
No one says Mumbai is New York of India. How about Detroit of South India?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th October 2009 at 22:04. Reason: Provocative comment. Can lead to flame war
Old 26th October 2009, 23:14   #38
BHPian

Wonder what the confusion is all about. Well.. @ everyone who has an issue with the name.... Is it really that difficult to understand something so elementary? Nobody is making a claim here.. That is how Chennai has been addressed... Both internally and internationally. Is it so much of an issue to accept something that is universally recognized?

Its a title for heaven's sake.. not self conferred but universally bestowed

If people are still gonna be making childish remarks .. Log onto Google and run a search titled - 'Detroit of South Asia' - its apparently the world's most popular search engine. Now please don't come up with a statement that says 'Who said Google is the world's most popular search engine'. I bet someone would have an issue with that as well

Last edited by petrol_head : 26th October 2009 at 23:17.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:19   #39
BHPian

Just because GOOGLE result shows similar title dont mean I should accept it. Google is not GOD. The media and some people created such terms and you get the result. Simple.
Quote:
I am just trying to say - Why do Indians have to have to use terms like "Detroit of India", or "Silicon valley of India". Yes you are free to use whatever term, but it makes India look like a beggar and dependent country! No wonder India's foreign policy has always made India a disadvantaged country. Foreign companies are not coming to India because we need them, they need us. So please be proud. Instead, make them say "Detroit is the Chennai of America". You can do that by innovating a revolution, what you have been doing is imitating.

I dont hear Germans calling themselves "Tokyo of Europe", and I dont read japanese calling themselves "Detroit of the Far East". They are proud of what they are. Infact, they defeated the Detroit! Why? Because they innovate. Ordinary Indians - you imitate.

Why cant Indians be like that? They just keep fighting with each other all the time. They fight over US! That too a foreign country! A country divided is the greatest threat to India's development and its role as a Leader. Automobiles and Technological development dont make a country strong, its the social harmony and unity that makes a country strong and civilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Detroit?

Why not call it Tokyo?

Or, why not you just become independent, and represent your city "unique" in its own right.

Detroit is just a bankrupt rusty town and no more.

I never hear Germans calling their bmw city "Detroit of Europe"

Last edited by aerohit : 26th October 2009 at 23:28.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:35   #40
BHPian

Probably I am to blame for setting the tone of response by putting my perception (you can call it bias too) against the term "South Asia". I have already explained why I don't like that term - it puts india in the same bracket of countries as oppresive regimes, terrorist states and failed countries. I apologize if I have contributed towards distracting folks from the original purpose of this thread as intended by the thread starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I am from Chennai and familiar with the industrial development, which is quite impressive, nevertheless I think these type of threads though well-intentioned inevitably lead to friction and misunderstandings between people of various regions. As others have rightly pointed out I think there are 2 major auto-clusters in the country in MAH and TN and several secondary ones that could potentially be big. So perhaps this thread should be converted to something that tracks the auto industry across India and not just Chennai.

I agree. If it has to be called something I would prefer it to be called the Stuttgart of India. :-)

And what's with our media always referring to 'South Asia' whenever something positive happens in INDIA....I don't see any auto industry in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan or Maldives. Sorry for the OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
"Detroit of South Asia" is a title given to Chennai by the Media just like calling Mumbai, India's Shanghai or Bangalore the Silicon Valley of India, etc. Our Media has the habit of always comparing our best to the Western world. So guys, please donot fight for the reason behind calling Chennai as "Detroit". We will be better off discussing the Auto and component manufacturing Industry around Chennai than arguing on why it is called so
It is not just our media. The media from mostly pakistan and bangladesh started using this term. In new york I come across many people who talk about South Asian culture, south asian cuisine, etc. (read blah blah blah) and 99% of the time they are either bangladeshis or pakistanis. Now I have nothing against them, they are smart and are successfully insinuating by putting themselves into a generic term.

Quote:
I would guess if someone who does not know about Chennai might be directed to the city as Detroit of India. We don't have to. Also, Chennai does not have R&D in auto, its just manufacturing if I am not wrong.
R&D itself does not matter. If a city itself is being credited for an industry, then the first thing I would look at is the no. of people employed and the revenue the industry generates in the respective geography. Most companies in US (or atleast their cash centers) are headquartered in cayman islands or delaware and take advantage of tax benefits. But that does not mean that city should take credit. In this case I do know many people in and around chennai are employed in auto industry but I am not sure if they are more than that of pune or NCR. The reason being if chennai companies are not as productive as pune or NCR, then obviously less people would be employed and less contribution from the industry for the city. So, I think that comparison is valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Very True.
And who do you want us to be compared to Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal.
Nothing wrong against these countries.
Just think with whom you want your name to be taken with.
There is nothing as south Asia, you can refer it as Indian subcontinent also.
My point, exactly.

Quote:
There are many factors why people set up shop in a city, but vicinity to port is not a major factor. Otherwise there is no reason for Maruti to set up shop in NCR. The factors are more like tax benefits, goodies like land, power, political climate, etc. and most importantly human resource and less intrusive unions (Hello Moists!).

Having said all of this, let me come to the moral of the story here. So, if media or wikipedia come up with something that we(at least me and a few others in this thread i guess) think does not put india and indians in a favorable spot, should we just roll with it or should we try to reverse the tide? I think I would do the latter. You decide what you want to do.

PS: I know it could be way beyond OT. But I wanted to put things into perspective.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:41   #41
BHPian

Another future company to be from chennai - Bavina Cars India Ltd

Here is the link - Country's 2nd electric car unit near Chennai
Old 26th October 2009, 23:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Otherwise there is no reason for Maruti to set up shop in NCR.
I am not here for a Chennai vs. NCR debate. But I honestly doubt if Maruti had any choice in choosing a location. It was a prestigious central govt project championed by Sanjay Gandhi and then completed by Indira Gandhi. I don't think they would have set it up anywhere other than near Delhi.

Every car company other than Maruti voluntarily set up their plants wherever they are located. Various states were vying to get them into their backyard. Be it in Pune or Halol or Chennai or Bangalore.

Last edited by Gilead : 26th October 2009 at 23:50.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I am not here for a Chennai vs. NCR debate. But I honestly doubt if Maruti had any choice in choosing a location. It was a prestigious central govt project championed by Sanjay Gandhi and then completed by Indira Gandhi. I don't think they would have set it up anywhere other than near Delhi.
Obviously I missed that one . That was indeed a very important factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Every car company other than Maruti voluntarily set up their plants wherever they are located. Various states were vying to get them into their backyard. Be it in Pune or Halol or Chennai or Bangalore.
These days, whenever any company (least a car company) is looking to set up shop, there are atleast 3 state governments competing. The companies are indeed shopping and bargaining to get the best deal
Old 26th October 2009, 23:59   #44

have it this way n please everyone.

Chennai is the biggest auto hib in the south
Pune in the middle of India.
And, NCR up north.. but altogether,,,INDIA is one of the largest auto-hub's, forget in south asia sub continent and all that rubbish. We are one of the largest in the world and the whole world knows that. The end. May this thread rest in peace
Old 27th October 2009, 09:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I have no idea what the criteria is. I would love to see some figures myself.

There are no winners for this topic. What do you think will happen if people start arguing , "My kid is cuter than your kid"

In fact the companies that are doing hardcore R&D in India are Tata, Mahindra, Bajaj and TVS. None of them are in Chennai. Maruti is investing hugely in an R&D center and its coming up in NCR.
GM R&D is located in Bangalore.
I cant understand why some people cannot understand simple english;

I asked why the sudden outburst of hate when someone put up some names of car companies in chennai. It is a different thing that someone else edited the title to make it sound regional. Quite frankly I do not care if Chennai is what of the what. I am in no way concerned with the auto industry here except to make sure they pay their taxes & do not default. Yeah, I am proud to be a chennaite just like you might be proud of wherever you want to be proud of: chicago/bangalore ?
I love delhi, mumbai & bangalore for what they bring to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The Esteem that you 'love' so much is not made in Chennai but in Delhi. So can we call you as Delhi-car-lover then?
How come you did't go for Hyundai or Ford?
Most of the parts of my esteem come from chennai including the wheels, axles, electricals, brakes etc.

Anyway I don't think you get what I am trying to say.
Closed Thread