Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th October 2009, 17:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I cant understand why some people cannot understand simple english;

I asked why the sudden outburst of hate when someone put up some names of car companies in chennai. It is a different thing that someone else edited the title to make it sound regional. Quite frankly I do not care if Chennai is what of the what. I am in no way concerned with the auto industry here except to make sure they pay their taxes & do not default. Yeah, I am proud to be a chennaite just like you might be proud of wherever you want to be proud of: chicago/bangalore ?
I love delhi, mumbai & bangalore for what they bring to India.
I dont understand why some people dont understand simple maths!

Dont know about others, but I have no hate and neither do I belong to Delhi or Pune. I'm just a neutral party stating facts. In fact I am more connected to Chennai. Its a different thing that someone here has to constanty make off-topic references to trains and planes

The title of the thread is more appropriate now while it was provocative earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Most of the parts of my esteem come from chennai including the wheels, axles, electricals, brakes etc. .
Many of the parts for the Hyundais, Fords and Mitsubishis also come from Pune and NCR..

Last edited by Mpower : 27th October 2009 at 17:40.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The title of the thread is more appropriate now while it was provocative earlier.
That was YOUR decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Many of the parts for the Hyundais, Fords and Mitsubishis also come from Pune and NCR..
Old 27th October 2009, 19:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

I never see anyone taking exception to titles such as "Silicon Valley (plateau?), God's own country" etc. So why all this fuss now?

I think it is not a mere numbers/domestic volume game, but more to do with the number of manufacturers, their brand value, value of exports etc. As a popular man once quipped "well, if we are to go by mere numbers alone, it should be the Crow and not the Peacock, that should be named the national bird of India".
Old 27th October 2009, 20:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I never see anyone taking exception to titles such as "Silicon Valley (plateau?), God's own country" etc. So why all this fuss now?

I think it is not a mere numbers/domestic volume game, but more to do with the number of manufacturers, their brand value, value of exports etc. As a popular man once quipped "well, if we are to go by mere numbers alone, it should be the Crow and not the Peacock, that should be named the national bird of India".
Well I am breaking my own word not to carry on with this topic, but hell I am no karna .

The fuss IMO is due to following reason. :-

1) Disagreement on labeling any of our town "Detroit", as it no longer is the benchmark in the industry.
2) Disagreement / lack of clarity on the indicators that shall be used to crown the automotive hub :- sales, revenue, concentration.
3) Geographical differences in the three clusters (NCR Pune and Chennai), due to which in some areas companies are more spread out.
4) Inclusion / Exclusion of auto ancillary & input industry.
5) Point of Discussion.
6) Lack of data, and the members are not capable to gather data which is necessary to carry out any unbiased research.

IMHO there won't be any hub as all states are ready to spend lot of money to attract companies, case in point:- Gujarat government's 16000 crore loan@ .1% to Tata and Suzuki's investment in Manesar. There is no scarcity of manpower and materials in most places so the incentives provided by government ends up being the biggest reason for choosing one region over another. And even exports(Most countries apply high duties on auto imports) is not a major reason for attraction of companies to a particular region India, they are attracted due to Indian market itself.

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 27th October 2009 at 20:31.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

A thread started with good intention about one of Indian city which is earning a name across this part of the world turning is turning into a kiddish arguement of 'Why not my City!?'.

FinanceExpress, BusinessStandard which are economic magazines have quoted Chennai to be the 'Detroit of South Asia' and there are lot of statistics which the thread starter has initially stated to call it so. More or less a google should open one's eye to the stats.

I would agree with Gansan here, the fuss looks quite artificial and getting more personal on this thread.

Are we forgetting that Chennai is a part of India? A credit for an Indian city is a credit for every Indian right! I was looking at it that way when the thread was started and I was assuming it would grow with similar spirit. But, I was wrong and it even went to an extent of changing the thread title!

Last edited by anachronix : 27th October 2009 at 21:42.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the state of Detroit is in now, the word used in the context of this thread reflects what it was. A complete absolute auto city in U.S and in terms of numbers for the world, which Chennai is not.
The thread itself poses a question and the answers can be either yes or no. There is nothing wrong in saying 'no' qualified with reasons.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th October 2009 at 21:46.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
IMHO there won't be any hub as all states are ready to spend lot of money to attract companies, case in point:- Gujarat government's 16000 crore loan@ .1% to Tata and Suzuki's investment in Manesar. There is no scarcity of manpower and materials in most places so the incentives provided by government ends up being the biggest reason for choosing one region over another. And even exports(Most countries apply high duties on auto imports) is not a major reason for attraction of companies to a particular region India, they are attracted due to Indian market itself.
It is only partly true. There are states no company will touch with even a barge pole, whatever the sops. If you want to know which ones, feel free to pm me!

Last edited by Gansan : 27th October 2009 at 21:56.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is only partly true. There are states no company will touch with even a barge pole, whatever the sops. If you want to know which ones, feel free to pm me!
BTW I hail from and live in Uttar Pradesh and I don't find big difference between UP and Bihar, if you were insinuating towards these two states.

And no I don't take offense to this at all, because these states have bad reputation for a reason. Let me give you a very nice example:- in Greater Noida where I live, Graziano's CEO was murdered by its employees. And I remember getting very angry at that incident, and at that moment I thought that it will scare all companies away. But I was very wrong.

Then there is West Bengal (where CPM once paraded businessmen naked on streets), even with its bad reputation Tata went ahead and risked Nano project. Why do you think they did that ?

Correct me if I am wrong, in Chennai journalists were burnt alive because of some war between DMK politicians, still that didn't scare away the journalists.

Therefore Money can make people forget anything.

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 27th October 2009 at 23:06.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:10   #54
BHPian

There is a great difference between the kind of users who read EconomicTimes, BusinessStandard, etc. and take the news at face value and the users of this forum. Since this thread wants to discuss an article or articles published in different magazines, people might tend to disagree.

I am in a way glad that everyone did not giddy up saying - YAY!! chennai is Detroit of South Asia, lets go and celebrate. But yes, it is unfortunate that some posts took the negativity to the extreme. But within reason we all are here to discuss and debate our various viewpoints aren't we?
Old 6th December 2009, 20:56   #55
BHPian

Default chennai bags automotive investment of 5000crs

chennai has become a huge puller of automotive related investments in this coming year of 2010.
michelin has singed a mou with TN govt for manufacturing tyres . the investment is said to be around 4000 crs.
also M&M is expanding its manufacuring base their at a cost of 1800 crs.
ford also in expansion drive said that it will invest around 1500 crs for manufacturing small car(figo) there.
seems all stage is set for a grand year 2010 for TN govt.
further the govt. is putting huge money over electricity , roads and other infrastructure to lure big innvestments like these . they have targeted around 12000 crs of investment in auto sector alone for this fiscal.
worth watching where the state goes form now.
Old 7th December 2009, 07:31   #56
BHPian

This is indeed great news!

Could you also post links pertaining to these news items and any info on how many new jobs these investments translate to?
Old 7th December 2009, 13:49   #57
BHPian

in terms of job opportunities , i think there gona be agreat demand for technical persons and manufactureing people as one big plants means at least 100 new small and midium scale vendors to support that motherplant. now considaring this persons will be required not only at motherplant but at small and midium ancillaries as well.and here we are talking @ 3 major manufacturing units with help of state govt . possibilities for job seekers as wellas new vendors looks bright.
Old 11th September 2015, 07:57   #58
BHPian

Thumbs up Chennai set to become world’s largest car manufacturing hub - the Tamilnadu CM.

Quote:
Already one of the top 10 automobile hubs in the world, Chennai, that produces three cars every minute, will become the world’s largest car manufacturing hub with the signing of MoUs with auto majors at GIM, the Chief Minister said.
Source

More here

@Mods
Could not find a separate thread for the GIM, kindly merge in case it is present.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread