Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 10:09   #766
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Very very clean design. Very proportionate.

The back looks really good. Especially in the below picture, gives a feeling of a more expensive car. What do you guys think?

blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 10:37   #767
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

What type of Auto box is this? CVT or torque convertor?
how much would be the expected mileage?

-MUKE
muke31 is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 10:48   #768
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamden
Posts: 120
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

finally.....a decent alternative to City.
raveen_2023 is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 12:09   #769
BHPian
 
the VTEC guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 563
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Absolutely beautiful design. Classic no nonsense lines. not trying to be too futuristic yet a design that will last its generation.

Definetly serious alternative to Honda City. I want a Auto Diesel.
the VTEC guy is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 12:37   #770
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 154
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Hi Deepan: Where did you see it? Is it available with Chennai dealers?
Hi..

i happen to see vento at VW PALACE CROSS in bangalore..they had brought it for some ad campaign..the sales guy was kind enough to take me alone to show the car and he allowed me to start the car and try all options in it.
deepanonline is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 18:15   #771
oss
BHPian
 
oss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 683
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Hi..

i happen to see vento at VW PALACE CROSS in bangalore..they had brought it for some ad campaign..the sales guy was kind enough to take me alone to show the car and he allowed me to start the car and try all options in it.
Thanks for the update. Wish the Chennai dealer gets it here....
oss is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 18:18   #772
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
ACI report says they did drive the petrol version, and they don't seem too pleased with it anyway. That leaves it to the diesel version to make this car a success in Indian market.
OSS and others,

I'm banking on the petrol version, been waiting for this car after parking the City aside.

Any particulars about what exactly is not pleasing in the petrol version? Is it the outright performance, torque, refinement, nvh levels??

This will be a very useful input since a diesel one won't break-even for me (40 km per day average).

Thanks a lot!
sureshaddagalla is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 18:49   #773
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
OSS and others,

I'm banking on the petrol version, been waiting for this car after parking the City aside.

Any particulars about what exactly is not pleasing in the petrol version? Is it the outright performance, torque, refinement, nvh levels??

This will be a very useful input since a diesel one won't break-even for me (40 km per day average).

Thanks a lot!
If you are really considering the car, wait for the car to be available in showrooms, and take a test drive. That is the best way to find what is best for you.
mxx is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 19:19   #774
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
If you are really considering the car, wait for the car to be available in showrooms, and take a test drive. That is the best way to find what is best for you.
mxx, I'm seriously considering it and waiting since 4-5 months instead of going ahead with City. I'd definitely test drive it, but my idea is that I'll go ahead and book it as soon as bookings are open (so that I'm ahead in the queue) if reviews are strongly positive.

My requirements are solid build quality, premium feel, ride & handling (all these seem to be fine with vento) and along with these, better-than-average performance. I probably don't mind spending a lakh more just in case diesel ends up considerably being better than the petrol one, but would prefer petrol in favor of refinement & low average running.

Thanks

Thanks
sureshaddagalla is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 22:49   #775
BHPian
 
srikant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 488
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
The design is clean and beautiful, very German, very VW.

@srikanth: I read that there is AT only in petrol at launch. Is there any possibility of an AT Diesel later, maybe next year?
A diesel with DSG should be down the lane . . will keep you guys updated . .but not soon. But for now, we are taking in bookings for the Vento.

Last edited by srikant : 24th July 2010 at 22:51.
srikant is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 23:37   #776
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
OSS and others,

I'm banking on the petrol version, been waiting for this car after parking the City aside.

Any particulars about what exactly is not pleasing in the petrol version? Is it the outright performance, torque, refinement, nvh levels??
This is what ACI wrote " Petrol engine is hardly new in terms of engineering but it suits the conservative nature of the Vento well, endowing it with the performance comparable to it's rivals. But with just 15kgm at rather high 3800rpm, it struggles to deliver speed at lower speeds".

Considering the Polo 1.6 takes 11+ secs to 0-100 (projected by VW), I think Vento would put up a figure of 13+ secs (unless it has considerably shorter gearing)
Guna is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 23:37   #777
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,209 Times
Default

Quote:
But for now, we are taking in bookings for the Vento.
Is there such a thing as a price list?
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 23:53   #778
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is what ACI wrote " Petrol engine is hardly new in terms of engineering but it suits the conservative nature of the Vento well, endowing it with the performance comparable to it's rivals. But with just 15kgm at rather high 3800rpm, it struggles to deliver speed at lower speeds".

Considering the Polo 1.6 takes 11+ secs to 0-100 (projected by VW), I think Vento would put up a figure of 13+ secs (unless it has considerably shorter gearing)
Thanks Guna. Isn't this better than the Honda city figure of 146 Nm at 4800 rpm (translating to almost 15 kgm at 4800)?
sureshaddagalla is offline  
Old 24th July 2010, 23:56   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
But for now, we are taking in bookings for the Vento.
Srikant, do you see any reason why only some dealers are taking bookings? I checked with VW dealer in Hyd (Orion Motors) this evening at the HIAS, he said they have no clue when bookings will actually commence.

Thanks
sureshaddagalla is offline  
Old 25th July 2010, 07:52   #780
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
mxx, I'm seriously considering it and waiting since 4-5 months instead of going ahead with City. I'd definitely test drive it, but my idea is that I'll go ahead and book it as soon as bookings are open (so that I'm ahead in the queue) if reviews are strongly positive.

My requirements are solid build quality, premium feel, ride & handling (all these seem to be fine with vento) and along with these, better-than-average performance. I probably don't mind spending a lakh more just in case diesel ends up considerably being better than the petrol one, but would prefer petrol in favor of refinement & low average running.

Thanks

Thanks
You should check with the dealer if they will refund the booking amount if you dont like the car after test drive. Maybe srikanth can shed some light on this.
As far as the ride & handling is concerned whatever is said in this forum are speculations. Ofcourse there are ACI comments, but these are not based on full test drives.
mxx is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Merc working on G65 //AMG Bi-Turbo V12! EDIT : Spy pics added Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 7 13th April 2012 17:07
Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 119 3rd August 2011 15:14
2010 Blind Man Car Rally Mumbai. 7th Feb 2010 EDIT: Report & Pics added page 4 Dippy Indian Motorsport 57 3rd June 2010 16:38
SCOOP !! Ford's new small car for India (with Spy Pics). Update launched now Figo! benbsb29 The Indian Car Scene 258 24th September 2009 11:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks