Old 8th August 2010, 13:02   #901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Form email received from VW by some members here
...Torque of 250 NM @ 1500-2500 rpm...
Would they(VW) lie on the figures?

Where was this reported?
Why I ask is because the magazines quote 11.5 sec 0-100 for diesel. and 1 sec slower for petrol.
IIRC its reported in this months Autocar first drive.

The summary was that this car has better materials than Polo, better leg room, but engines are at best just "ok". Its more loaded than ANHC but ANHC will continue to have more power, space, and A.S.S. and my opinion is that Vento might sway some buyers, but ANHC will retain its position.

Saw an ANHC over the weekend with Honda's PU seat covers. Believe it or not, I found its interiors (thanks to the seat covers) good for the first time. It reminded me of Civic apart from the ever so boring and cheap central console (with AC knobs just not fitting a 10 lakh rupee car). However if I had to put my money, it probably still would be ANHC and part of it is due to the fact that it gives u a C+ segment feel under 10 lakhs. Car is not perfect, but we have no alternative that comes close.... Verna is dated, SX4 is small size wise in comparison/mileage concerns, Aveo (does it still sell?), Cedia is same as it was some 7 years ago, Vento...mmm at least the petrol engine leaves a lot to be desired. I am dissapointed with ANHC but I guess any buyer in this segment with limited budget has no other choice... Its the only poor mans big car that comes close to ticking all the right boxes.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:09   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
When going through this thread one car that comes to my mind is fiat petra. It was based on palio and vento is based on polo . If 1.6 vento sells for 9 lakhs and that too in good volume then fiat india will regret the decision to stop production of petra which used to cost just 5.2 lakhs onroad .

The vento may be 10% better than petra as far as its quality of interiors is concerned . But apart from that there exists no huge difference between the two .
If the Petra was being sold today it wouldn't be at a 5lac price tag! It would be at least 2 lakhs more. Quality of interiors would be more solid on the VW being German.
Besides the Petra would get killed in today's market which is why we have the Linea today.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:44   #903
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
These prices are quite high for Vento. I expect VW to straddle ANHC.
The Polo TDI highline is about 6.75 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai. The Vento has an extra cylinder, a longer wheelbase & more interior room, (supposedly) better quality interiors and some additional mechanical bits. We can expect a premium of 1.5 - 1.75 lakhs.

Quote:
Vento Petrol can in no way take on ANHC if priced closer to it, let alone pricing it equal.
I've always insisted that the ANHC is the best C segment sedan in the market. Can tell you that if there is one sedan to give the ANHC a tough fight, its the Vento. Reason : Also has a premium badge, solid build, VW's ride quality and a diesel. The way that Honda has priced the ANHC, it gives competitors a wide opportunity to undercut them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
The Linea-TJet is estimated be around 8.2 Ex-showroom, so Vento-Highline also has to be in that zone to be competitive.
The Linea (upcoming T-Jet included) is hardly the sales benchmark for the segment. Also, don't forget Fiat had to price the Linea lower than they would normally have done, thanks in no part to Fiat's reputation.

Its the ANHC that VW is going after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Mumbai prices are generally 5.5% more than Thane which are comparable to Delhi prices.
Hasn't that changed recently? I hear Thane also has its own Octroi system. Either ways, with or without octroi, Delhi prices have always been much lower than Thana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Why I ask is because the magazines quote 11.5 sec 0-100 for diesel. and 1 sec slower for petrol.
I'm hearing a 0 - 100 of 12 seconds from some company people who have driven the car.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:03   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Linea (upcoming T-Jet included) is hardly the sales benchmark for the segment.
Agreed as far as the Current 1.4 Petrol Version is concerned. But the T-Jet can prove a Dark Horse for FIAT. As far as the Engine specifications & features depict, the car has a lot of potential.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:11   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'm hearing a 0 - 100 of 12 seconds from some company people who have driven the car.
GTO,

Bossman, Im awaiting ur review with a lot of anticipation! Your review determines if i put my cheque on VWs table! Hope ur pressing them on giving you the car ASAP!

This one matters to me! Thanks in advance!
Old 9th August 2010, 12:14   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked the Vento A/T this weekend. Mumbai dealers are not yet accepting bookings but this was done via a friend. Rs.50,000 refundable.
Have been promised the first silver Vento A/T sent to them would be mine
Old 9th August 2010, 12:40   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Booked the Vento A/T this weekend. Mumbai dealers are not yet accepting bookings but this was done via a friend. Rs.50,000 refundable.
Congrats..!! One Question, the AT will be available in both the Petrol / Diesel or either of them ?
Old 9th August 2010, 12:53   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, since you have a friend on the inside keep us updated on the scoops.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:33   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Congrats..!! One Question, the AT will be available in both the Petrol / Diesel or either of them ?
AT is available only for Petrol.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:48   #910
BHPian

@sahil: i was told the same for a silver vento MT if i paid refundable 50K. I had been there to TD the polo with a friend of mine and the SE told me the above when i inquired about the vento.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:12   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey that's awesome! It feels good to be in distinguished company- since I've also pretty much decided to go with the Vento AT.

Sahil, can you summarise the reasons you chose this vehicle?
Old 10th August 2010, 17:23   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! What is the expected delivery date?
Old 10th August 2010, 21:11   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
This is the mail I received from vento@volkswagen.co.in

The new Vento offers an experience that is truly best in class. The Vento will be available with a 1.6L MPI Petrol engine and a 1.6L Common-Rail Diesel engine. In addition to the 5 Speed Manual Transmissions, the 1.6L MPI Petrol engine offers a 6 Speed Auto Transmission that is undeniably best in class. This is just a glimpse of our new offering. We will keep you updated with the latest information on the new Vento in the near future.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:55   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Sahil, can you summarise the reasons you chose this vehicle?
First due to the lack of choice, the ANHC A/T is the closest competitor and feels horribly overpriced. Secondly, I believe in the brand, moreover german quality on the whole. Thirdly, the specs and looks.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2010, 21:09   #915
Senior - BHPian

Few places of The Vento displayed in Jaipur
Attached Thumbnails
VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-11082010.jpg  

VW POLO Sedan - "Vento". (Indian Spy Pics added to Pg 1 & Update: Page 19! LAUNCHED)-11082010001.jpg  

Closed Thread