Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Has the negative feedback on Skoda on TBhp affected your impression of Skoda India
Yes, I choose not to buy or recommend Skoda. 254 86.10%
No, I will still buy or recommend Skoda 41 13.90%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 4th November 2009, 15:53   #136
BHPian

The 'single dimension' view to the data here does not say much here IMO. It just talks mass perception than anything else.

Would have appreciated if along with the question in the poll, there was a way to indicate if the person responding had a personal ownership or experience with Skoda, or NOT. That would add a more realistic angle to the results.

Looking over the posts and responses over the 9 pages, this is what I can safely conclude.

Of the 85 % of the people who 'choose not to buy or recommend Skoda' , not more than 20% of them would be people owning / experiencing one.

Of the 15 % of people who say 'I will still buy or recommend Skoda ' , more than 80% of this group would be people who actually have some personal first hand experience of Skoda.

Does it paint a different picture now ?
Old 4th November 2009, 16:18   #137
BANNED

I am eagerly waiting for the sales numbers for October to see the difference of the poll
Old 4th November 2009, 17:58   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post

Would have appreciated if along with the question in the poll, there was a way to indicate if the person responding had a personal ownership or experience with Skoda, or NOT. That would add a more realistic angle to the results.

The thread title clearly mentions that it is a poll aimed at people who decided against buying Skoda and all have clearly mentioned why they are against buying one.

Its not required that one should undergo the process of owning a Skoda and have a bad experience so that he can take part in the poll. Such dire experiences have been mentioned in other threads.
Old 5th November 2009, 00:22   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
The 'single dimension' view to the data here does not say much here IMO. It just talks mass perception than anything else.

Looking over the posts and responses over the 9 pages, this is what I can safely conclude.

Of the 85 % of the people who 'choose not to buy or recommend Skoda' , not more than 20% of them would be people owning / experiencing one.

Of the 15 % of people who say 'I will still buy or recommend Skoda ' , more than 80% of this group would be people who actually have some personal first hand experience of Skoda.

Does it paint a different picture now ?
I got the picture u want to present.
There is a very better way to figure this out.
Create a new poll and give 4 choices to this question in the poll:

Q.How many of you decided against buying a Skoda after reports on Tbhp?

1. Yes, I owned a skoda before and choose not to buy or recommend Skoda.
2. Yes, I never owned skoda before and I choose not to buy or recommend Skoda.
3. No, I owned a skoda before and will still buy or recommend Skoda
4. No, I never owned a skoda before and will still buy or recommend Skoda

The result of this poll should give the clear cut indication of what ur saying is correct or not.
What do u guys think about this idea?
Old 5th November 2009, 11:20   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The thread title clearly mentions that it is a poll aimed at people who decided against buying Skoda and all have clearly mentioned why they are against buying one.
Yes. The poll and the data is very much in line with the thread title. However, I just wanted to bring in another angle of looking at that very data in conjunction with the comments made alongside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool.aquarian View Post
I got the picture u want to present.
There is a very better way to figure this out.
Create a new poll

The result of this poll should give the clear cut indication of what ur saying is correct or not.
What do u guys think about this idea?
We dont need another poll Sir.

The data is already available (answers in this poll, the respondants and the vehicles they own.. in our system)

We just someone with access, to compile and validate it; if at all 'that picture' sounds reasonably important and meaningful.

That was just another point-of-view.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:36   #141
BHPian

The thread title is " How many of you decided against buying a Skoda after reports on Team Bhp?"

Nothing to do with if one has owned, currently owns, never owned or is about to own a Skoda.

The idea was just to guage if the negative feedback by current Skoda Owners has affected the decision of other Team Bhp members, on whether to buy a Skoda or not...simple!
Old 5th November 2009, 23:22   #142

I was going to put my money on a Superb, but thanks to TBHP, was saved from agony of A**. I am content with a new silver Accord and NO regrets. I pity the poor souls I see on the road who were suckered into buying the Superb. ( I still feel it is a good car, but that in itself isn't enough, it has to be a WHOLE ownership experience as the initial euphoria of a new car last just 7 days!!)
Old 6th November 2009, 11:18   #143
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a hatch a few months ago and had zeroed in on the Punto and i20. The Fabia never entered my mind due to the fabulous (sic) service of Skoda.

However last evening I steered a good friend from my gym away from the Skoda Laura. He was very, very keen on buying it without doing any research regarding the sales and service and other aspects of the car.

His is a frequent flyer to Europe and mostly rents Skoda's (Octavias and Superb) when there and he quite likes the brand and its cars that are available there.

But after reading all thats been said over here I would be mad to let anyone I know to invest in Skoda, I have asked him to buy the Cruze. Lets hope sanity prevails...

Cheers
Old 6th November 2009, 11:39   #144
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe am biased as a Skoda owner, but them am also an affected person, have also spent a lot on maintaining the vehicle, but then the car still gives me a solid safe feel that no other car this side of 20L can dream of giving. It's intoxicating.

So I was among the rare ones to still vote in favour of the Skoda.

Yet when people ask me about specific models from Skoda I specifically give them do's and dont's and warn them what not to do and how to get the cars serviced and which dealer not to go to and if they simply wish to play safe not buy a skoda, but if they are game for excitement and then sure go ahead, the cars deliver value beyond all else in it's segments.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:17   #145
BHPian

While i have voted to say im not going to buy a skoda, Im not totally sure i would totally disregard any skoda which came my way. Yes for now, i dont want to buy a new skoda esp. wrt. to other members experiences with the service, however, my decision to buy a skoda (whenever it is, if ever) or not will be also be influenced by other factors like cost, reliability of the product in question, competition comparision and the like.

If a member on the forum offered me a used vrs (something most of us have lusted after for long,) in a decent condition and cheapish, i would definately try and stretch my penny to see if i can acquire it. I am slightly assuming that loads of ppl who voted otherwise would agree with me.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:07   #146
BHPian

Well, i got my Skoda new in jan 2009 which was before these sad episodes. So far no issues and my car drives great.....Being a bit of a DIY enthuisiast i intend to do the minor maintenance myself (keep intake air filter clean, clean pollen filter, clean throttle body and check oil levels, etc. But still i dread my forthcoming first service at 10000, especially as Acumen (from who i bought the car) have closed down.

Would i recommend a Skoda ? Yes, to a car enthusiast and NO to the average user. The roadholding of the Octavia /other Skodas at high speed and in cross winds is second to none(in the -20 lakh bracket).

To go a step further i would say that the Skoda is like a high strung race horse and need a lot of TLC.......and jap cars like Cart mules kick 'em twice before a start, beat them, stone them and still they keep movin.
Old 6th November 2009, 18:24   #147
BHPian

I recently brought a Linea and a Skoda was not in my budget though it is car I want to buy in the future. But after reading the reports in the forum, I would certainly not buy it in the future and also recommend whoever is planning to buy it not to.
Old 6th November 2009, 21:47   #148
BHPian

After owning 4 skoda's( 3 octys and a Laura) I can safely say I am not buying another one. Though the Octys didnt give me any trouble, the Laura sucked. There arent enough superlatives to describe my feeling for this car. In fact as a serial skoda owner, people tend to ask for my opinion on the car, and I have been happily sending them on the Honda way.
Old 6th November 2009, 22:50   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I Though the Octys didnt give me any trouble, the Laura sucked. .
Comparing my RS to my cousins 2 year old Laura

The switchgear feels flimsiers in the newer car
Ditto door closing
Indicators were not self cancelling
Found a few blown fuses pointing to iffy electronics
Airbag light was on
Old 8th November 2009, 09:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Yes, after reading about the reports I will never buy/recommend skoda. I don't have the budget, that is a different matter though
Closed Thread