Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Has the negative feedback on Skoda on TBhp affected your impression of Skoda India
Yes, I choose not to buy or recommend Skoda. 254 86.10%
No, I will still buy or recommend Skoda 41 13.90%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 19:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
But I still don't recommend Skoda to any one & my self have bought Corolla, Civic , Corolla Altis & Innova, still own all 4, despite being in the market 3 times for a new vehicle.
Thats quite a line up and says loads about Skoda. Surprisingly my uncle did not find too many faults with the car or the service. But he still sold it after 5 years as he always does. He now drives a Captiva .

Last edited by prince_pervez : 28th October 2009 at 19:19.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

personally its all about how good the vehicle is.
if i was worried about the poor service i would have bought a palio .
Superb is a Brilliant package regardless of skoda service i would have definitely picked it up if i was looking for a car in that segment.
Regarding service if the official service is pathetic i will definitely find an alternative source.
Laura compared to Cruze has much more class and refinement.
regardless of skoda service i would definitely buy a skoda if the package is brilliant.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:19   #33

Bought 2 Octavias back to back and was one of the first customer of this car in Jaipur sourcing it in those days from Mumbai dealer (There wasn't even a dealer in Delhi !). I have literally been part of Skoda lifecycle in Indian and it has been a landslide downfall from it its heydays.

No wonder, this time around, This vehicle was struck off the list even though on paper it was once again a strong competitor and finally ditched it for cousin, Jetta.

Must say I have avoided a lot of sleepless nights ever since
Old 28th October 2009, 19:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure the majority answer will be yes, apart from a few like Sahil. However, the rationale for buying Skoda is not as simple as that. Bad A.S.S, ethics, unreliability etc are on one hand, but on the other, you have some of the most amazing cars around. Especially the Superb. It is simply in a class of its own. The two Superb problem threads seem to suggest that there was a bad batch recently, but to Skoda's credit, one of the cars (gagananand's) was replaced. Not sure what happened to the other. Although I'm not a going to be buying a car anytime soon, let alone a 20 lakh one, the risk you take when you buy Superb is worth the reward, if you ask me.
Old 28th October 2009, 19:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am a prudent man who likes to retain a car for 5 years +.

No way I will even think of buying/retaining an out-of-warranty Skoda vehicle. Skoda dealers don't even want to honour the written manufacturer warranty so just imagine how much they will try and bleed a owner whose vehicle is out-of-warranty.

I truly admire their vehicles though and would love to see the new Laura or the Superb in my driveway!
Old 28th October 2009, 20:10   #36
Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I'll never buy a skoda in my life and I have turned down three potential customers.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

I had plans of picking up a pre owned laura from a family friend but after reading the stories, all plans shelved.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:18   #38

I have always been fascinated by the Fabia's looks and size.Its compact width is particularly a plus point in my city with chaotic traffic, plus its spacious inside with good boot space.Though I found the area near the hand brake very plasticky and the rear seats gave my family a very sunken in and claustrophobic feel .However reading about the experiences of Fabia owners here, (especially since the dealer in my case was the same as whose name was clearly mentioned in the posts) really put me off.Infact during TD I raised the issue, and the Dealer told me that the person in question (from Rishikesh) never bought the vehicle from him.I was not convinced. Now ,I am waiting for a TD of the i 20.But the dealer is not much bothered as this car is really selling.In the end it finally comes down to Fiesta sxi -if I want a saloon or a Honda Jazz (if I decide on a hatchback). These are 2 dealers who really pursue (though even Skoda is doing that!). Jazz it might finally be.Except for the price I hear no negative points about it. There is good after sales service,trouble free performance and the Habanero red looks just great. Now I am just waiting for the discount to increase given that sales have gone down to around 500.I have told the dealer to call me the day he reduces 50000 to 60000 !
Old 28th October 2009, 20:33   #39

well guys, one car that caught my imagination was the skoda superb.A superb car that lives up to its name. I had driver manager's skoda. It is soo smooth and you would surely fall in love with this superb beauty. For the price it is a good VFM. But, but, but the brand itself has gone a great beating because of some unscrupulous dealers (worse than used car dealers) and some jinoistic bosses!

I wanted to buy the superb from the (used car market) in probably 2 years time. This was the milestone that I had set for myself. But unfortunatly, my milestone was/is shattered.

I just have to pitty myself. Now my search for a perfect sedan starts once again!
Old 28th October 2009, 20:43   #40

Well I Own a Fabia TDI ambiente since last 15 months , absolutely no problems till date.
As long as you are with the right dealer no issues on *** front.
If 1 in 10 are unlucky owners of skoda I am amoung the nine lucky ones.
This is my first car , I read the reviews in Top Gear and decided , visited T-Bhp much later ( fortunately) . This will give some Comfort to Skoda Owners,
Sad that Skoda is not helping Harish and others , My gut feel ,may be anti skoda image in team Bhp has gone against them.
One thing I hate to read anti Skoda reviews in team Bhp , are by those who dont own one.
Do mud clinging just for the sake of it.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:53   #41

Ive ensured that atleast 3 of my friends who were specifically in the market for the laura read the reports posted on the forum - (i sent them the link on email) and took printouts for my uncle who was hell bent on getting the New Superb - and finally convinced him to stay away from Skoda!

The down point - personally is i really had my sights on the Polo and now im unsure how much of a family effect will it have on VW!!! :(
Old 28th October 2009, 21:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

I managed to scare away two of my friends from Skoda, after reading the horror stories here. One decided to buy Linea and the other is still waiting.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:12   #43

well guys,

i did decide against even test driving a laura, thanks to the forum.

So whats the total loss to them??? ( i keep wondering does it really matter to them)

Old 28th October 2009, 21:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Fabia was in my list when i was searching for a new car and i TD my friends car too, but after becoming an active member here i decided against it and waited for other options to come and finally bought an i20 Asta.
Old 28th October 2009, 22:05   #45

I think I'm also in the minority here. Initially I also had the same apprehensions as the folks here but a first hand test drive experience in both the Accord and Superb changed all that.

I think the feel good factor - when you experience the richness of the interiors, confident handling, high speed stability, amazing collection of gizmos and goodies, safety, the torque rush of the chipped diesel - it all adds to make you feel that this is a risk worth taking esp. because at the price point these are made available.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed but since the expectations have been set too low all the pluses mentioned above make you feel that for once heart has made a right choice.
Closed Thread