Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Has the negative feedback on Skoda on TBhp affected your impression of Skoda India
Yes, I choose not to buy or recommend Skoda. 254 86.10%
No, I will still buy or recommend Skoda 41 13.90%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 13:08   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I've owned Skodas right from the brand's launch in India, and yes, the service experience is not the greatest, I would agree. I think some of you haven't had the experience of German cars- most German origin cars have high upkeep costs, I know from Mercedes and Opel. Spare prices are high and sometimes absurdly disproportionate. That's the trade-off for durability and solidity. The dealership doesn't have transparent practices as well.................................
.............People who have owned Opels and Mercedeses won't be complaining too much about Skoda, I reckon. But the experience of owning W124 + Astra, then W210 + Octavia, and W211 + Laura is well worth the premium.

You're missing the point Sir. It is not just about high cost of ownership. It is about the attitude of the dealers and the parent company which stinks.

No one would want to spend 20 lakhs and then have the car break down in the middle of nowhere. Then, the company rubs salt in your wound by not honouring warranty.

Cost of ownership is something to be expected when you buy a very complicated car. But that is for regular stuff like Service, labour and the occassional part replacement due to accidents.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:48   #107

Before converting to TBHPism I had been a Skoda fanboy, dreaming of having a Fabia. I got disillusioned when the price of the Fabia was revealed at the time of its launch. Soon I developed a dislike for the brand, in the sour grapes mould, quite likely. The Harishgate scandal was the final nail in the coffin of Skoda in my book. I have already prevented one of my brothers-in-law from going near a Skoda showroom.
Old 30th October 2009, 14:36   #108

I did not consider the Fabia in my choice for a hatchback. I have also dissuaded a couple of my colleagues from buying a Skoda when it was at the top of their list of choices.

I believe Skoda has lost atleast a few hundred customers on tbhp itself given their shoddy attitude in the cases highlighted on the forum.
Old 30th October 2009, 15:05   #109

It would be more fitting if this poll (or an alternate poll) was setup with same set of questions but open for Skoda owners (current/past) only. That probably would give much clearer picture. Just MHO.
Old 30th October 2009, 15:59   #110

I am never going to buy one after reading all the horro stories here .In fact I dissuaded one of my friends from buying one .
Old 30th October 2009, 17:25   #111

I was planning to upgrade from Swift to Skoda Octavia. But after reading the reviews and Skoda owner’s posts in Team-BHP, I decided not to go with any of the Skoda makes until Skoda reduces the spar part costs and bring-in a 4year/150,000km warranty.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:49   #112

I've liked skoda vehicles but have my apprehensions about skoda after reading all that is posted here by fellow members about their experience with skoda.don't understand why the Czech company doesnot do justice to the a.s.s and warranty.the other complaints I hear are about huge running costs aka service bill fleecing and bad resale.I personally like both the laura and superb and their initial pricing for the equipment they offer but the czech company fails to appease me any more due to these niggles and issues.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:17   #113

I still enjoy my RS after 4+ years. I have not had any problems with dealers so would still go ahead and buy another Skoda. They give more car for your money..period.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:42   #114

I never had any issues with my 2 year old octavia, which has been driven over 66k kms. It has given me a great ownership expereince and highway driving pleasure.

In fact have been religiously tracking news about Skoda Yeti and had made up my mind to trade in the Octy for Yeti, when it is launched in Auto expo 2010 . BUT now after all these horror experiences , i will wait & watch for atleast another 6-9 months before put my money.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at buying a car in the 12+ Lakhs category. Was considering the Laura as one of my choices. After reading the horror stories here, i have shoved the idea of a Skoda. Would wait for the Altis Diesel and then take a decision.

In the meanwhile, i convinced atleast a dozen of my friends and acquaintances not to go in for a Skoda and gave them links to read the threads. I am sure Skoda is losing atleast some sale, but they would not be bothered.

I understand the feeling a few members on this thread who still would prefer a Skoda over any other car. But for me, the key point is, that if a "Company" does not bother (turns a blind eye) to the atrocities of its "Dealer", then it is ONLY the fault of the "Company" to allow such indiscipline.

For me SKODA = Systematic Killing Of Dear (hard-earned) Assets
Old 31st October 2009, 01:11   #116

I stopped my father-in-law for buying a skoda (Fabia / octavia)

Now they are proud owner of i20. (arrived today!!)
Old 31st October 2009, 01:34   #117
Senior - BHPian

These reports are unnerving and i don't blame people for being wary. I would vote for the first option for the time being.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:17   #118

Have bought one and pretty happy with it. Getting good service and response from the dealer so far. Cost of ownership is reasonably good for the comfort and features that are available.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:04   #119

Contrary to what one might think after reading the JD powers report on Skoda ranking last on A.S.S satisfaction or threads which poll on people moving away from skoda, it looks like skoda has only done better business in comparison to previous month with a 98% growth. ET link for reference below. Now what does one infer from this ?!?. Of course this is just one months report, still it leaves a lot to think about.

Skoda sales up 98% in October- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please provide a link to the thread on the forum.
Closed Thread