Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th August 2005, 09:56   #46
BHPian

I would say Tata is doign a much better job while bringinig out variants of existing models. Maruti has to learn from Tata here.
But i wish Tata had designed their car to look more than a big sized toffee!
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 12:46   #47
BHPian

Hi Vivek & TSk,
This is the details for kewood vcd player -KDC-MP4026V
TDF (Theft Deterrent Faceplate)
Multicolour LCD with White LED Backlight
WMA (Windows Media Audio) Decoder
MP3 Decoder with ID-3 Tag Display
System Q
Dual Disc Changer Control Capability (with optional KCA-S210A)
VCD Player (Audio Output St/L/R Selectable
Also, it have AM/FM radio facility. though it is not mentioned in the website. I confirm it by checking my vehicle.

About Alloy & tyre - Its Goodyear but they were not tubeless so i asked them to give me tubeless instead of stock tyre. Let me check again for 14" alloy with tubeless tyre ...i dont think TATA will give me wrong price as they are very honest about product. Till date it seems to me... :-)

Last edited by amitabh_kaushal : 17th August 2005 at 12:48.
amitabh_kaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 12:55   #48
BHPian

Question Hi GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Tatas are best had in diesel powerplants only. No one buys these for performance or refinement, might as well enjoy the low running costs and driveability of the diesels.

GTO
Hi GTO,

You mean to say Indigo petrol is not worth to buy ? I read so many reviews abt indigo petrol on mouthshut.com and other places. Though, ppl prefer diesel over petrol but noone says its is bad and not worth to buy. I drove both vehicle and find petrol is much user-friendly and smooth to drive. Am i wrong ?
Old 17th August 2005, 13:53   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh_kaushal
Hi GTO,

You mean to say Indigo petrol is not worth to buy ? I read so many reviews abt indigo petrol on mouthshut.com and other places. Though, ppl prefer diesel over petrol but noone says its is bad and not worth to buy. I drove both vehicle and find petrol is much user-friendly and smooth to drive. Am i wrong ?
I think he's simply stating his opinion just as you are or I am. I thought an Indica petrol was worth buying 2 1/2 years ago for 3.64 lakhs on road Chennai. I still think its a good buy but then to each his own.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 14:32   #50
Team-BHP Support

It was not worth it couple of years back. Reason, the Tata learning curve. Tata is new in petrol engines. so when they came out with the 85BHP Indigo petrol engine there were lots of issues, not necessarily related to engine. I will list 2 examples
1. fuel pipe: The flawed design had the fuel pipe rubbing against a bolt in the engine bay. Many indigos suffered from fuel leaks. Tata rectified the problem after receiving lots of customer complaints
2. ECU wiring. The wires had the tendency to get cut or damaged due to lack of protection and friction. Tata fixed that too after complaints.

Now in case of diesels, Tata sells a lot of them, so the learning curve is 3-4 months long, but for the petrol it is more than a year due to less volumes. If you buy a indigo Petrol now you will not face may problems, but a couple of years ago when it was launched, the niggles were solved much later than the diesels niggles. Ditto for the petrol indica. hrag got his New V2 2 years back. Thats about more than a year since the new V2 petrol was launched which got rave reviews from ACI(June 2002). So hrag is happy. But the friend of mine who got his Tata indica petrol 3 months after it was launched had to face silly issues like some wiring not robust etc.,

Also due to large number of diesels, the tata workshop people are expert in problems which crop up, but for petrol if something out of ordinary comes it takes time.

Speaking as of now, indigo petrol is a great buy. The LX will cost you about 5lac ex showroom delhi. Now throw in 25K dealer discount and 5% finance payout you are looking at the indigo LX for the price of GETZ.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 16:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
It was not worth it couple of years back. Reason, the Tata learning curve. Tata is new in petrol engines. so when they came out with the 85BHP Indigo petrol engine there were lots of issues, not necessarily related to engine. I will list 2 examples
1. fuel pipe: The flawed design had the fuel pipe rubbing against a bolt in the engine bay. Many indigos suffered from fuel leaks. Tata rectified the problem after receiving lots of customer complaints
2. ECU wiring. The wires had the tendency to get cut or damaged due to lack of protection and friction. Tata fixed that too after complaints.

Now in case of diesels, Tata sells a lot of them, so the learning curve is 3-4 months long, but for the petrol it is more than a year due to less volumes. If you buy a indigo Petrol now you will not face may problems, but a couple of years ago when it was launched, the niggles were solved much later than the diesels niggles. Ditto for the petrol indica. hrag got his New V2 2 years back. Thats about more than a year since the new V2 petrol was launched which got rave reviews from ACI(June 2002). So hrag is happy. But the friend of mine who got his Tata indica petrol 3 months after it was launched had to face silly issues like some wiring not robust etc.,

Also due to large number of diesels, the tata workshop people are expert in problems which crop up, but for petrol if something out of ordinary comes it takes time.

Speaking as of now, indigo petrol is a great buy. The LX will cost you about 5lac ex showroom delhi. Now throw in 25K dealer discount and 5% finance payout you are looking at the indigo LX for the price of GETZ.
Hi TSK,

New GSX doesn't come with any discount (not even corporate) but it is still the best buy as i was going to install vcd/dvd with LCD screen and keyless entry atleast in my car and when it is compnay fitted , it is NICE. Your words gave me lotsa peace.....as everyone else is saying the wrong abt petrol version. In pune, GSX (petrol) cost 5.94 on road and diesel is 6.34 L.
Old 17th August 2005, 17:50   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The reasoning behind my statement is that the petrol Tatas are neither fast nor ultra refined. Plus in the case of the Indica / Indigo, the price differential is a fraction of the amount other manufacturers charge as a premium for diesel powerplants.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 18:06   #53
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Thanks for your comment. Yes thats true but i have seen so many diesel indica/indigo on the road in poor condition. The engine roars like anything and i never seen anyone with window roll up in city traffic. All the diesel car owners drive cars without A/C in city bcos of power lag or to save money ? I dont want to do that ....also i got the feedback that you have to be very particular abt servicing/maintenance with diesel....thus to avoid all this pain i prefered petrol. Yes you are right they are not so powerful or ultra refined....but which indian car meets this standard ?
Old 11th October 2005, 11:58   #54
BHPian

Default all not as advertised ??

amitabh_kaushal,

congrats on your new purchase.

i have just one query.

Does your Indigo GSX have the headlamp leveller and the instrument cluster illumination intensity adjust feature ??

Apparently, the initial models of the SX and the GSX had these but now have been doscontinued.

However, the specs sheet (brochure hard copy or on the web) still lists instrument cluster illumination intensity adjust as an available feature which was not there on the GSX I checked out yesterday.

Also does your car have the rear defogger ??

will appreciate your feedback.

ciao,
hell_rider
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 17:45   #55
BHPian

ask aadix he gets alloyz very cheap( imean cheaper than most of us 0)do pm him he can help you out
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 12:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
amitabh_kaushal,

congrats on your new purchase.

i have just one query.

Does your Indigo GSX have the headlamp leveller and the instrument cluster illumination intensity adjust feature ??

Apparently, the initial models of the SX and the GSX had these but now have been doscontinued.

However, the specs sheet (brochure hard copy or on the web) still lists instrument cluster illumination intensity adjust as an available feature which was not there on the GSX I checked out yesterday.

Also does your car have the rear defogger ??

will appreciate your feedback.

ciao,
hell_rider
Hi,

So you are thinking to buy GSX or SX ? Well as per my manual it says that i have headlamp leveller but it says that i have to open the headlight cluster & do that. I didn't like it. how could i do that...is it common ?

Yes, the instrument cluster illumination intensity adjust feature is their and i can adjust the light upto 4 levels. But i never adjust it yet....no need.

Yes car have the rear defogger and it take >8 min to clear the rear glass :-( but if you put the AC blower to window then it work fast.

:- anyway, if you are thinking for indigo then i would say to go for diesel as petrol is more costly and avg is not good in this car. now i have started getting >10 kmpl but before 1000km i was getting 7-8. Power is nice unless you switch on AC and engine noise is like diesel. My charm with indigo is gone and if you can afford one lakh more go for city or optra else this is the best car. Why i said diesel....as on highway i race with SX and i have to switch off my ac to beat him. dont know how SX will perform in city....but on highway it matches to GSX.
Old 13th October 2005, 14:32   #57
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh_kaushal
Hi,

So you are thinking to buy GSX or SX ? Well as per my manual it says that i have headlamp leveller but it says that i have to open the headlight cluster & do that. I didn't like it. how could i do that...is it common ?
I feel the headlamp leveller is normally found on the right hand side of the driver on the dash. and not to be adjjusted by opening the headlight cluster.. that option had been in the marutis from time since they had the 1000...
ak
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005, 14:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
I feel the headlamp leveller is normally found on the right hand side of the driver on the dash. and not to be adjjusted by opening the headlight cluster.. that option had been in the marutis from time since they had the 1000...
ak
Shouldnt that option (headlamp alignment using the two screws behind the headlamp unit) be available in all cars post-Ambassador??? At least every car I've seen has that...the electronic adjustment is now a mandatory safety requirement, so the INdigo (or any other car sold now) should have it.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2005, 10:45   #59
BHPian

Hi Steeroid,

I didn't find this in dashboard and they didn't mention it in manual. Electric adjustment they had given for mirros only. I will ask to dealer abt it, can i get this done from 3rd party ?
Old 14th October 2005, 11:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
ak
actually the headlamp leveller on the SX it is on the left side. yesterday i saw another SX at Fortune and this one did have the feature, while the SX i saw earlier at Wasan did not have the headlamp leveller nor the instrument cluster intensity adjust thingy.

wonder why this is so. the wasan guy did mention that tata has discontinued a couple of features on the SX/GSX.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote