Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 15:12   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Man for such guys you should just tell zxi is basic model and vxi is top end model . So you have helped him . Hes also safe .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:42   #32
BHPian
 
Autonorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 76
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

A car is brought with safety features so that the safety features if and when required are useful when the need arises rather than buying one without safety features because it is not needed. People buying a car with the later idea shouldn't even be allowed on road because if they cannot reason it out for themselves they simply cannot simply think for others.
Autonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:47   #33
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Your Friends looks like a conservative person while buying car who needs to a vehicle as his own medium of transport for travelling from Point A to point B With windows rolled up Ac on and chilling at 16
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:51   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
A car is brought with safety features so that the safety features if and when required are useful when the need arises rather than buying one without safety features because it is not needed. People buying a car with the later idea shouldn't even be allowed on road because if they cannot reason it out for themselves they simply cannot simply think for others.
Excuse me, in that case cars without those safety features should be banned
and taken off the show rooms in the first place. Then ban the Motorbikes from the highways, what safety features do they incorporate? The rider himself is the crumple zone!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:58   #35
BHPian
 
Autonorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 76
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Excuse me, in that case cars without those safety features should be banned
and taken off the show rooms in the first place. Then ban the Motorbikes from the highways, what safety features do they incorporate? The rider himself is the crumple zone!
I meant for the people who think safety features are not needed. I am not saying that the cars without safety features should be taken off roads, I know for some people budget constrains prevent them from buying cars with safety features. I mean the people who think that buying cars with safety features like ABS and airbags is a waste because we don't need them (or don't need them often).
Autonorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 16:58   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,375
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Whoa, tough crowd here asking the man to get a bicycle or whatever. So what if the chap doesn't want power windows, climate control etc.? Heck, that's perfectly acceptable. He knows what he wants and is smart enough to not waste his money on features he doesn't need. Would it really kill you to twist a handle to roll up your windows? Or to turn the AC knob when its too cold or too hot? Would you be unable to drive if you didn't have a 100 bhp engine? Here's a man who knows what he wants and needs. He's saved a good bit of cash by buying the Swift too. This may be a knowledgeable community but some of the replies earlier are quite condescending.

On the safety bit, yes, he doesn't know about airbags and how they work? So? There are countless other car buyers out there who are exactly like him. Carmelo, you should have explained it to him rather than simply suggest a VXi version. Especially since he's your best friend.

And this is hardly the first time I see posts on this forum ridiculing others who may have said or done stupid things when it comes to cars. Everyone is relatively knowledgeable in some fields and ignorant in others. Try to explain it to them and you'll be doing them a favour they won't forget. Ridiculing them on an internet forum is not cool.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:16   #37
BHPian
 
funkydevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 358
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
On the safety bit, yes, he doesn't know about airbags and how they work? So? There are countless other car buyers out there who are exactly like him. Carmelo, you should have explained it to him rather than simply suggest a VXi version. Especially since he's your best friend.


Carmelo, I know how it feels brother. A lot of my friends too behave in the same manner and I feel like the crap out of them. But I make it a point to drill it into their heads that these safety features are essential, especially in our driving environment. Whether they heed my advice during purchasing a new vehicle later on or not is a different thing. At least I did my job of educating them about such features.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:34   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US/India
Posts: 232
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

We can try our level best to convince people about various safety related stuff but the ultimate decision is their's. If they are not ready to accept that safety should not be compromised for a few thousand rupees, then they will have to deal with the consequences (God forbid). Experience is the best teacher.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:40   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 327
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
And this is hardly the first time I see posts on this forum ridiculing others who may have said or done stupid things when it comes to cars. Everyone is relatively knowledgeable in some fields and ignorant in others. Try to explain it to them and you'll be doing them a favour they won't forget. Ridiculing them on an internet forum is not cool.
Dear Sir Nobdoy can be master of all trades. Not every one is expert in every field. When we do not something, it is human nature to ask some one about it. When the other person is knowledgeable and explains things in simple terms, it is our duty to listen to him, put the information in practical view and take decision. After listening to the information, and telling what's this, I know this, what the??? is being rude and arrogant. For such people, experience is the best teacher.
Sarvodaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 17:59   #40
BHPian
 
Nitronium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

^true

I'm sure Carmelo tried. But would his friend listen? Therein lies the problem. Not being open to new information
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 18:00   #41
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 783
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Airbags can kill you if you are not wearing your seat belt.
True. But i think the person will be in much bigger trouble without airbags. what i'm trying to put across is that seatbelts are provided but people dont have to use them. So many do not use them. But if other safety features e.g. airbags, ABS are present that do not depend on the owner in order to be used, then atleast there is a base level of safety - seatbelts or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
After listening to the information, and telling what's this, I know this, what the??? is being rude and arrogant. For such people, experience is the best teacher.
Unfortunately, this is true of many people. I have one friends group who used to laugh at wearing helmets (on bike) and seatbelts (in cars) and when I insisted, they ignored my comments. One of them learnt the hard way - almost went through the windscreen during panic braking, with me (wearing seatbelt) next to him shaken, but safe n sound.
Now he takes all precautions, but the others have not learnt

As for Caramelo's friend, his choice of going in for a cheaper car/variant and doing without features he doesn't need are ok, except his ignorance to safety features.

The only time such people know they should have paid extra for the safety features is when they're in big trouble already.

They dont know they need it, until they need it!
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 19:45   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,804
Thanked: 7,710 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
True. But i think the person will be in much bigger trouble without airbags. what i'm trying to put across is that seatbelts are provided but people dont have to use them. So many do not use them. But if other safety features e.g. airbags, ABS are present that do not depend on the owner in order to be used, then atleast there is a base level of safety - seatbelts or not.

If seat belts are not buckled up the airbags wont deploy in most of the cars available in India. These are those systems that come cheaper. So you have a seat belt reminder to alert you to wear it. So infact you have to use seatbelts to be able for the airbags to fire.

Many expensive cars have other algorithms to sense the presence , size and seating position to deploy the airbag. But those cars will be prohibitively costly.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 21:47   #43
m4w
Newbie
 
m4w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 14
Thanked: Once
Default Darwin?

Your friend qualifies for a Darwin award. Congratulations!

For those who don't know, the Darwin Awards are given to those who improve the gene pool by removing themselves from it
m4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:45   #44
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 783
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
If seat belts are not buckled up the airbags wont deploy in most of the cars available in India. These are those systems that come cheaper. So you have a seat belt reminder to alert you to wear it. So infact you have to use seatbelts to be able for the airbags to fire.
Oh, I didnt know that. Well, then some other "uniquely indian" way is required to enforce these safety feature are present in cars and used correctly by owners/drivers. Seriously, in our country, riding without helmets and not wearing seatbelts and then speeding is treated as bragging rights material among friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4w View Post
For those who don't know, the Darwin Awards are given to those who improve the gene pool by removing themselves from it
Great one
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 01:05   #45
BHPian
 
TheBeastFieast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

A very good writeup. Sad to say its a very common practice in our country. I have got a friend who never uses side mirrors, seat belts and I tease him that there should a version without side view mirrors, seat belts, horn, so that he could have saved money
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PICS : Finally My OHC gets ICED...err JBLfyd Dippy In-Car Entertainment 44 26th March 2011 10:14
Happy Birthday GP err..Grand` Punto...err..Gautam Prakash ...FATAL 3RROR planet_rocker Shifting gears 0 9th January 2010 12:27
Ferrari 360 Modena...err...limo !! FlyingSpur The International Automotive Scene 12 11th July 2008 23:27
Any experiences buying Channapatna toys in.. err.. Channapatna (Bangalore)? androdev Shifting gears 6 9th July 2008 18:51
swift (zxi/vxi) is zxi vfm? karty_83 Hatchbacks 30 10th May 2007 14:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks