Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th November 2009, 14:54   #16
BHPian

I doubt they will sell in large numbers even if they do decide to assemble it in India. Maruti has the same problem in India as Hyundai, perception of a good small car manufacturer. A person who would have 12-14 lacs will still consider a cross-segment Civic or a Laura rather than a petrol SUV. Though a diesel could change equations, still because of the perception as brand 'Maruti', i don't think they would sell that well.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 15:22   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A better price + diesel (petrol SUVs are irrelevant to the market) has the potential to make the GV amongst the best buys in the sub 20 lakh segment. Its got good interior space, great handling (by SUV standards) and decent offroad capability.

Bring in on, Maruti! And while at it, please do something about premium-feeling interiors too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 17:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
I have not yet spotted at least one Grand Vitara till date. If it is assembled in India, then Maruti can price it very competitively and expect to sell in good numbers.
Don't expect to see any new GVs till they start assembling it, IMO. Since the big M's future plans about this vehicle are now "leaked", all prospective buyers will defer/cancel the purchase; who will buy a vehicle for 22L now if it is going to available for 14L sometimes next year?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th November 2009 at 17:43.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 18:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti is looking at serious nos. rather than than the negligible few they are Vitaras they are selling right now they need to heavily localize the Vitara and have a huge drop in prices rather than a few lacs.

Maruti has a lot of hurdles in the premium SUV segment, Firstly while they can work the brand name charm on the sub 5 lac small car customers, but stepping into the +10 lac territory the Suzuki/Maruti badge might be a drawback compared to the likes of Honda & Toyota. For all that money the Vitara is also a lot smaller looking than the competition and in India size does matter.

But the biggest hurdle will be the new launches from the homeboys, a la Tata & M&M. No denying the Scorpio and the Safari have a long way to go before they step into the same ring as the Vitara, but if one compares how a car like the Vista has caught up to something like the Swift and even trumps it in a few parameters, the future Indian SUVs hold a lot of promise.
The 1.9 diesel Vitara might end up being underpowered as well when the higher powered versions of the 2.2 diesels come out from Tata & M&M.

Maruti needs to assemble the highly localised Vitara and drop the prices real low or just watch the likes of Toyota/Honda chew them up from one end and Tata/M&M from the other.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 18:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

No doubt, the GV is a very capable SUV and this is great news that Maruti Suzuki have decided to localise it which will hopefully reduce the price of the car.

But Maruti Suzuki will have to plonk in a good diesel engine and do something about their image in this segment for it to sell well.
aparth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 18:47   #21
BHPian

Talking about perception, I wouldn't mind a bit compact SUV (GV n likes) from maruti or hyundai or tata at 12-13L. bring it on maruti!!!

edit: but as GTO rightly said, it has to be diesel.

Last edited by Comrade : 7th November 2009 at 18:48.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 15:33   #22
BHPian

This should be the one I guess, the 1.9 DDiS
Suzuki New Zealand - Grand Vitara 1.9 Diesel 5 Door
joseph5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 16:30   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Price it at 10-12L and they have a winner with CKD, try initial CBU (half hearted commitment) and they try selling it here - they are sure to fail It will simply not sell at anything beyond 15L OTR.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 16:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5600 View Post
This should be the one I guess, the 1.9 DDiS
Suzuki New Zealand - Grand Vitara 1.9 Diesel 5 Door
Suzuki cannot use this engine globally it seems. AFAIK, the licensing terms of this engine are not in favor of Maruti as it excludes India.

I read about it somewhere...please dont ask me the source.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th November 2009 at 16:51.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
But still CKD has some 6% import duties
where is 6% and where is 120%, then the price should come down by more than 50%
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think recently SX4 was upgraded to 2.0 ltr diesel. I am not sure if it comes from Fiat or not. Suzuki upgraded the SX4 ( and its cousin Sedici ) for Euro 5 emession norms. The M16A now makes 120 bhp internationally and the diesel is now 2.0 ltr. 135 bhp one.

I hope they manage to plonk in 135 bhp diesel in GV. Will offer very tough competition with this diesel. Also if Kizashi is coming here, then they can utilize its motor. The motors are J24A and J24B, but Suzuki US site claims its all new. In any case GV with upgraded 2.4 petrol and 2.0 diesel will be a good product and get reasonable sales.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Suzuki cannot use this engine globally it seems. AFAIK, the licensing terms of this engine are not in favor of Maruti as it excludes India.
Not sure about this. But let us hope that these terms are revisable.
joseph5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:42   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I don't think sourcing this engine would be a problem! As it is now, Maurti Suzuki is one of the biggest customers of FIAT engines in India.

And in case of GV, FIAT does not have to think twice about Maruti eating their sales, unlike the SX4 diesel which is sure to eat into the sales numbers of Linea!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th November 2009 at 18:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 19:03   #29
BHPian

In US they sell 2.4L 4 WD for 22,000 $. Hope we get this within 12-14 Lakh range here when maruti start manufacturing it here.

Seems like it's a good news and maruti will have lot of customers. Fingers crossed.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 20:22   #30
BHPian

Default this 1.9 is not that 1.9 :D

speaking of suzuki diesel engine options, some interesting observations from my side. I was suprised to know SX4 1.6 is not fiat.

Name:  suzuki ddis.png
Views: 9454
Size:  18.8 KB
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote