| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|7th November 2009, 06:18||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Thanked: 45 Times
The Must Have Features in Your Next Car
Many of us realize, after having bought a car, that we needed some features lacking in the car even at the expense of some niceties present in the car or at the cost of a few thousand extra or going down a segment. As the years go by our requirements do keep expanding or changing. For example, when I bought my car last year, AC, power steering and a modern diesel engine were all I needed. Today, I don't feel safe to use the moderate 75 bhp of power to its optimal capability because of lack of ABS. Even today I feel that airbags are not necessary in a car that I am driving.
I would like to know from the esteemed BHPians the following:
1. What will be the must have features in their cars if they buy/replace today?
2. If one already had a budget in mind would he/she stretch the budget to accommodate the features?
3. If the budget cannot be stretched if he/she would go down a segment to get the features or forgo some of the features to stay in the segment. For example, Ritz with ABS is more than 4.5 lakhs but A-Star with ABS & Airbags is less that 4.3 lakhs. Will you come down to A-Star from Ritz to be within budget and have ABS?
In my case, as of today:
1. A car in the Swift-Punto-i20-Figo segment, a CRDi diesel engine with at least 70 BHP of power, AC, PowerSteering, Central Locking, Front Power windows, ABS, Basic ICE.
2. The budget in my mind is 6 lakhs and to have all the features I may stretch by another 30 thousand at most.
3. I don't mind coming down a segment for an option like the rumoured i10 diesel with a 1.1 CRDi.
Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 7th November 2009 at 06:19.
|7th November 2009, 07:47||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Thanked: 0 Times
I feel airbags (SRS) should be mandatory, while ABS/EBD can be optional. This is in line with products sold here in North America.
Tyre pressure indicators are a welcome addition
Just cannot fathom why Maruti Suzuki doesn't have SRS as standard fitment on its high end diesel offering (Swift & Dzire)
|7th November 2009, 07:50||#3|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Feb 2006
Thanked: 106 Times
Airbags and atleast a 1.6l petrol. 7000rpm redline.
@NRK: dzire does have airbags
Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 7th November 2009 at 07:51.
|7th November 2009, 07:55||#4|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Apr 2007
Thanked: 85 Times
airbags, ABS a must and possibly Esp.
well i have all of these features my current car and i don't think i can sacrifice on these features while buying the next one.
|7th November 2009, 08:07||#5|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Thanked: 3 Times
ABS is a must.
A 100+ bhp powerful diesel engine. I am ready to wait or extend my budget upto 50K if I am getting better model than the existing one in the market.
|7th November 2009, 09:23||#6|
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Thanked: 5 Times
I would like to have a hatch with
1) a 100+bhp diesel/petrol engine.
2) ABS/EBD,airbags as standard. Traction control if possible.
3) electric ORVMs with power retraction.
4) Black or grey interiors.
|7th November 2009, 10:29||#8|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Dec 2007
Thanked: 474 Times
Well this is going to depend on the budget more than anything. But assuming the budget permits it, I'd try to loop in ABS and airbags. Most of the other features are too budget specific to discuss.
|7th November 2009, 10:48||#9|
Join Date: Jul 2009
Thanked: 20 Times
Airbags must become standard on all vehicles. It is about time that the average user mindset of M800 changed. I feel the car awareness level in India has evolved to a stage where airbags and ABS must become mandatory fitments in all models. Other than these, everything else is cosmetic really. One can have a space age designed cockpit in a car .
|7th November 2009, 10:56||#10|
Join Date: Oct 2007
Thanked: 179 Times
My next car will definitely be one with ABS + EBD. I do prefer all cars come with this as a standard accessory or atleast optional accessory which can be fitted to all versions of a specific model of a car. Right now, only the high end versions comes with this. This scenario should change. A safety conscious person should be able to buy a car with ABS and Airbag without opting for all other luxury gimmicks.
In my case, I couldn't buy a Safari with ABS and Airbag only because otherwise I will end up paying for the DVD players, LCD screens and all other unnecessary things (personal opinion) if I need safety. This should definitely change.
|7th November 2009, 11:14||#11|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Thanked: 262 Times
My next car would definitely be the top end variant offered by the company with all safety features such as ABS, Airbags, EBD. Would also prefer utilities built in such as a center arm rest for the driver with a neat storage compartment underneath.
My problem (call it my nature) is that I don't go by the budget but the car I want to own. I have already zeroed on the make, model and colour of the car too. I will wait till I rake in enough moolah to buy the dream car I want. You wont find me asking a query on which car to buy in any of the threads.
|7th November 2009, 11:48||#12|
Join Date: Oct 2007
Thanked: 64 Times
Here is my wishlist that I wouldnt compromise- for my next car after 3 years
1. Ground clearance minimum 200 mm
2. ABS, EBD, ESP, TCS
3. All round discs
4. Tiptronic - AT & paddle shifts, 4X4 with LSD, elctric on the fly mech.
7. 7 Seater
8. All round parking / hazard sensors
9. Nav system, mobile phone connectivity with bluetooth, MID all integrated.
10. SRS airbags etc of course.
11. Keyless entry, start / stop.
12. NVD ( IR devise or something at least for blind spots)
14. Panaromic Sunroof/ Moonroof
15. Excellent ACC & Music system with SD card, USB, DVD etc.
16. Steering mounted controls, tyre pressure monitoring
17. height adjustable, lumbar support.
18. electrically folding ( independent) , heated, auto dimming, ORVMs/ self dimming IRVM.
19. Auto levelling suspension/ at least the one that can be raised.
20. At least capable of doing a 200kmph.
21. Multi / bi fuel at least eg. 1. Petrol/ CNG/LPG / Electric 2. Diesel/ Biodiesel/ Partly electric like microhybrid.
22. Collision preventing system/ radar based auto brakes/ warning system.
Features are from Touareg, Outlander, Xtrail, Captiva, 7 series, Superb/Passat. Currently the nearest match is Outlander. Aspiring for Touareg though. I am sure one or the other manufacturer will be adding all these together. Hoping Mahindra is listening.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car||GTO||On buying a car||360||29th May 2017 19:38|
|Must have gadget for Bhpians: The Car Mouse||jacksons||Gadgets, Computers & Software||10||12th August 2011 11:05|
|Must have accessories for Swift||skumarit||Modifications & Accessories||29||6th August 2011 16:22|
|Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat?||romyeo4u||Route / Travel Queries||2||15th October 2008 22:06|