Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th August 2005, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
As for fun, I'm a person who believes that its possible to have fun on any set of wheels - its all down to the driver ultimately.
Absolutely agree with you .. am not priviledged enuff yet to own one of the B+/C segment 'ultimate performance' cars aka the baleno, petra, gtx .. but I do have loads of fun with my ancient Indica 2000 petrol ...
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 10:45   #17
BHPian

Thumbs up

I have also heard Fiat service has IMPROVED a lot...
3 of my friends have palio and 2 have Uno...
they are happy with the service given by Fiat...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 11:10   #18
BHPian

No doubt earlier we rarely used to see a Palio or a Petra but things have changed. I think most of the car buyers these days are Software Professionals. They are mostly young people with decent salaries and care more about safety, riding quality etc. These people are the ones who have again started looking at Fiat cars. When i shifted to Bangalore, i did not see any Petra even though this was the first city in India where Petra was launched. Things are not same any more. While driving to office or during weekend shopping trips i do notice Petra's (mosty silver and black) on road now but i agree that the number is still not very high.....but the number is definitely increasing... :-)
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 12:03   #19
BANNED

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush
No doubt earlier we rarely used to see a Palio or a Petra but things have changed. I think most of the car buyers these days are Software Professionals. They are mostly young people with decent salaries and care more about safety, riding quality etc. These people are the ones who have again started looking at Fiat cars. When i shifted to Bangalore, i did not see any Petra even though this was the first city in India where Petra was launched. Things are not same any more. While driving to office or during weekend shopping trips i do notice Petra's (mosty silver and black) on road now but i agree that the number is still not very high.....but the number is definitely increasing... :-)
I second that finding..
hasopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 12:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you are in Mumbai, Fiat is a good bet. The Palio is one heck of a hatchback and the Petra is the best in its class. Though if you can stretch it the Hyundai CRDI is a decent car too for a diesel. The Baleno is a good choice too. I have heard the costs have dropped.

When I was deciding, I was sold on the Baleno but the Petra won me over. Totally the opposite case of Samurai. LOL And if you are going for Fiat, stick to Anuroop. They are the nest of the dealers here. PM me if you need details.

Also if you are getting into Accent CRDI range, you may also want to look at the NHC. That is an amazing car for city driving. And has good resale value to boot.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 5th August 2005 at 12:20.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 12:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't want to suggest you any car. But as Palio owner I can say, you will immediately fall in love with it once you buy a Palio. Anuroop is Fiat delaer in Hyderabad too, and their service is good and comparable to Maruti servicing centers.

The only -ve aspect of Palio I can think of is resale value. But if you are planning to own the car for more than 5 years, who knows what would be the resale value for any of the current cars.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 12:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand

Still, based on the reviews on this forum,
Welcome to this forum. You have pressed the alarm button in the first shot .

For me FIAT PALIO and likes are utter flop cars. When I entered into this forum, I was taken back on the reviews and respect people keep on FIAT. Nowadays, even I got respect for Fiat after reading many positives about FIAT in this forum though I would not prefer to buy one.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 14:39   #23
DRC
BHPian

I own a Petra, I dont have any regrets..
I fell in love with it because of its sheer specs. Even then Fiat was supposed to be worst carmaker, and Sundaram the worst dealer. Yet I bought it!!

I did have my share of problems as everyone else. And I cross checked with other who own majorly maruti, a part of hyundai, Ford, Tata etc... and believe me all had problems with dealers and parts. May be I should say I am a little unluchier one who owns a fiat, my other friends who own Fiat really did not have any such issue ( I had a few)

Things start working better when "you" know how to look for quality. It is true with all car makers and dealers..Including Maruti

So if you like any car, go ahead and buy it, then work with dealers to maintain it better. If you let them maintain from your pocket, you have a bad car and a bad pocket.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 15:51   #24
BHPian

Default drive one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Welcome to this forum. You have pressed the alarm button in the first shot .

For me FIAT PALIO and likes are utter flop cars. When I entered into this forum, I was taken back on the reviews and respect people keep on FIAT. Nowadays, even I got respect for Fiat after reading many positives about FIAT in this forum though I would not prefer to buy one.
Drive a Palio Buddy.
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 16:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was sold on the Baleno but the Petra won me over.
Quote:
I own a Petra, I dont have any regrets..
I fell in love with it because of its sheer specs. Even then Fiat was supposed to be worst carmaker,
Quote:
I don't want to suggest you any car. But as Palio owner I can say, you will immediately fall in love with it once you buy a Palio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Get the GTX.
The car is just awesome.
It fills all your requirements.
And for the Baleno boys,
remember the thread about Petra vs Baleno?
- Watch out here come the MEN IN FIATS !
somehow i can never get tired of FIAT Vs the Rest threads ..you guys are too good !
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 17:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
Drive a Palio Buddy.
I have decided to take a drive in my friends car. Just we are going to exchange our cars & share our feedbacks on each other.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 17:50   #27
BHPian

From one more Petra Owner.. If you planning to go on weekend drives ... Go for Fiat ...
it will give ride quality of a luxury cars/SUV... you will feel like you are glidingon highways...

Take a test ride and see by yourself.

People who came to give me test drive( for Accent, Corsa, IKon) .. all of them said that fiat petra is better car than others in its segment .. but asked me not to go for it because of fiat reputation and ASS.

But I could not resist myself after driving Petra.. I am very happy that I bought it at the right time.

Yalgaar ho............
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 18:19   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
For me FIAT PALIO and likes are utter flop cars.
If you're saying this on the basis of sales, I would tend to agree.

Most of the buying public would factor in the 'visibility' of brand + model before deciding. Thinking along the same lines - if I see lots and lots of Brand X Model A on the roads, it must be good and should be a safe buy!
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 19:07   #29
BANNED

Hey, Trust me it has to be the 1.6 GTX !! I agree there is a problem with the after sales but trust me its build quality and break down ratio pretty low so you dont have to waste much time with the dealer but the lil bit that you might have to will be forgotten once u revv that engine and release the clutch --- its sheer pleasure !! With a few mods once you have gotten used to it its a pure monster and I see no reason why the Palio will not last longer than the 5 yr tenure that u assigning for it !!

So just go for it ... Palio 1.6GTX .... u'll def luv it !!

cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 19:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

[quote]From one more Petra Owner.. If you planning to go on weekend drives ... Go for Fiat ...
it will give ride quality of a luxury cars/SUV... you will feel like you are glidingon highways...[quote]

Bull, because it purports to give the impression that people with other cars dont go long distance or enjoy their drives. As for SUV ride quality - the chap who said it hasnt ridden on an SUV.

We drive regularly from Bangalore to Cochin and back. We've also done various other drives from Cochin to Hampi, to Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani, to Chikmaglur, Coorg, Tirupathi, Chennai, Pondicherry and Kollur (near Udupi). I've used an Accent for these drives and havent found anything to complain about. The odo on the Accent reads about 49,000 kms, of which 40,000 + kms have been done on similar long distance drives.

Whoever it is thats planning to buy a car - todays cars arent as radically different from each other as they used to be earlier. They differ in certain attributes, but in this particular segment no one car stands out so distinctly. Each of the cars you have mentioned have their own merits. If everyone started bragging about how much they enjoyed their car, you'd have to make up your mind between a mind-boggling number of choices starting with the old man's Ambassador.

Let me put it this way - if you ask a guy how his car he will sing praises of it. If you're putting your money on a car, first of all test-drive them all yourself because your inclinations are bound to be different from ours. Then consider the pros and cons of each vehicle, consider the whole ownership experience and take into account all factors before making your decision. I do not find anything wrong with my Accent. At the same time, I did not find anything radical for it to stand out totally in its segment - its just that the Pluses and Minuses of the Accent added up perfectly for me. Others may find the same with the Ikon, there are even people who are entirely satisfied with the Opel Corsa. Obviously you find a bunch of guys here who are happy with their Fiats (though I think its always the insecure ones who are the loudest and shrillest in any lot - hoping that they havent made the wrong choice).

I dont buy the idea that India is a country full of idiots who cant appreciate a good vehicle and end up buying duds by the thousands every month. From what you hear in this post you may even start thinking that everyone who doesnt buy a Fiat is mentally challenged, therefore be sure to separate the grain from the chaff.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote