Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 21:27   #46
Newbie
 
Dcargod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 5
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

If I were to handle this situation, I would have spoken to the uninvited people in a much more polite manner. Knowing very well that there are supercar fans in the country, I would have told them to watch silently from a distance, but would never have deprived them of the oppurtunity to watch their favorite machines up-close. This only reminds me of the discrimination we used to face in the older British days. This is a crime of the topmost order and should be reported immediately. By throwing them off the ground, they basically infringed upon our right to move around freely, guaranteed by the Constitution.
Dcargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 22:27   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcargod View Post
If I were to handle this situation, I would have spoken to the uninvited people in a much more polite manner. Knowing very well that there are supercar fans in the country, I would have told them to watch silently from a distance, but would never have deprived them of the oppurtunity to watch their favorite machines up-close. This only reminds me of the discrimination we used to face in the older British days. This is a crime of the topmost order and should be reported immediately. By throwing them off the ground, they basically infringed upon our right to move around freely, guaranteed by the Constitution.
While they were rude and could have handled the situation much better. They were perfectly within their rights to throw them off the property. There is absolutely no discrimination involved. If I wanted to show off my car or music system or whatever, I am entitled to invite who ever I want and exclude the rest. Everyone has a right to evict trespassers onto private property. Please do not even try to test this right to "move around freely" by strolling into Rashtrapati Bhavan or the PM's residence. Though both belong to the State and therefore the people of India, you would probably be shot at sight. This right does not mean that I can stroll in and plonk myself in your house or office without your invitation.

This incident had no political or racial overtones, please let us refrain from giving it such colour.

(Let me clarify again, though I have posted something similar about 4 pages ago, - enthusiasts and poor ones at that are the life blood of super-cars and Lambo should have encouraged them to peek at the cars even if they were excluded from the canapes and champagne.)

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 15th November 2009 at 22:33.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 09:49   #48
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

For this reason alone attending a motor show is a much better way to get a closer look at cars. You have all the cars under one roof and on business days you have all the time to browse.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 10:12   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

While we were driving back from Vellore on saturday, my friend who was sitting in the back seat screamed that he can see a lamborghini on the left at Sri Perumbudur on the race track and he said stop stop, let's go.. I dunno what made me say no (maybe the really heavy rain), else we would also have ended up facing this embarassment.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 18:05   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Revvmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Well, Nitrous, it really depends how you approached the situation.

a. You may shown interest and enthusiasm, but certainly a polite way of asking them if it was okay if you did so before you started shooting would have been better. Am guessing you let your enthusiasm get the better of you and started right away, only to displease them and ask you to leave.

b. If you did what I suggested, chances are they would have told u to not go close to the cars, but shoot from a designated spot.

c. This was a private event on a private track for which lamborghini has paid money. They have the first right of refusal in the aforesaid case.

d. Lamborghini wasn't jumping the gun without reason. They just don't want to attract too much attention, lest the entire world turns up outside the gates at Sriperemubudur and a private event turns impossible for them to control.

e. There are members here on the board who have gone for supercar events and launches uninvited and yet have politely asked the organisers if they could shoot before they went around shooting randomly. It has worked to their advantage (I'm sure member Dippy will agree to it).

f. Am not sure, but such threads do invite legal cases from corporates for trying to sully their image.

Anyways, I think Lambo isn't at fault here, entirely. It's just your bad luck I guess. You learn to move on in life, that's all.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 20:33   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,592
Thanked: 920 Times
Default

I believe this is the event being referred to here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...t-chennai.html (Pics : Lamborghini track event in Chennai)
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 01:53   #52
BHPian
 
agentsmith2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 130
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
On one of my first trip to UK, I was staying near Birmingham and we were looking for a supermarket to buy some stuff, we crossed the Lambo showroom and my associate asked me - do you want to check it out ? I was not sure and I said NO as I thought it was out of my league to even enter the showroom and he insisted that I go and check it out. Well, I stepped out with another person and went inside only to be greeted by a very smart looking girl who asked me what was I looking for and I said I just wanted to look at the car - there was only one on display - I think a White Gallardo Spyder it was!
It's not because they're nice for the sake of being nice. It's because this niceness has been institutionalized by law. You can sue the heck out of them if they discriminate. They treat you fairly because of years of Affirmative Action reforms. There was a time - not too long ago - in the 60s when blacks were not allowed to shop in certain stores.

Sue Lamborghini in India. Sue the local dealer. Call up Mid Day and DNA and make a big deal about being discriminated. Call up local FM center and talk about it. The least we can do is make it a PR disaster for them. They'll never do it again.

Stand up for it.

If you need help, I'll personally stand by you and co-sue these turds. In time we'll teach these retards to treat us nice.

Our ever so hungry media will eat this story right out of your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
While they were rude and could have handled the situation much better. They were perfectly within their rights to throw them off the property. There is absolutely no discrimination involved. If I wanted to show off my car or music system or whatever, I am entitled to invite who ever I want and exclude the rest. Everyone has a right to evict trespassers onto private property. Please do not even try to test this right to "move around freely" by strolling into Rashtrapati Bhavan or the PM's residence. Though both belong to the State and therefore the people of India, you would probably be shot at sight. This right does not mean that I can stroll in and plonk myself in your house or office without your invitation.

This incident had no political or racial overtones, please let us refrain from giving it such colour.

(Let me clarify again, though I have posted something similar about 4 pages ago, - enthusiasts and poor ones at that are the life blood of super-cars and Lambo should have encouraged them to peek at the cars even if they were excluded from the canapes and champagne.)

Cheers,
Your post is uninformed and relies on 'old wives' tales' to justify discrimination.

Law can decide discrimination on various factors. I can ask you to stay away from my private property - yet allow people only on the basis of their religion. That would be discrimination. And that would be illegal.

I could refuse you an entry to my private property 'because you are a person of a backward caste' or of a certain 'sex'. Perfectly legal ? Not quite. That's discrimination.

If Rashtrapati bhawan refuses you an entry - yet allows the next random passerby one on a random set of rules not validated by law - that would be discrimination.

I can refuse to give you a job [or as much as an interview opportunity] in my *privately held* company because you are from a backward community. According to your argument, that would be legal. Not quite, according to law.

Your private property can't supersede the rule of law - which states there can't be a discrimination based on several factors outlined by the Indian Constitution.

Its a tragedy that most Indians don't understand discrimination and continue to harvest a colonial/racist and class mindset.

Let the plaintiff approach the courts to demand an explanation from the company on why was he discriminated against and let the company provide their arguments proving the contrary.

Last edited by Dippy : 17th November 2009 at 13:27. Reason: Back to back posts
agentsmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:14   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

This is another classic of local management hiring people who have no passion for the brand and understanding of the values....all super car brands realise the importance of the enthusiast and it is sad that you had to face something from an iconic brand.
Speedophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:48   #54
BHPian
 
anantnehru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 446
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedophile View Post
This is another classic of local management hiring people who have no passion for the brand and understanding of the values....all super car brands realise the importance of the enthusiast and it is sad that you had to face something from an iconic brand.
Im sorry to say but I completely disagree. Our team is in fact extremely passionate of the brand. We have organised the Supercar Show in Mumbai which is probably a testament to our passion when it comes to automobiles, if you are willing to accept it as one.

While I do understand that the manner in which Nitrous was asked to leave was probably not nice (I cant comment because I was not handling that specific area - I remember this issue coming up over the radio), but instructions were given not to allow any people who were not invited onto the track; some reasons mentioned here while some are not. The entire event was meant to be an invitees only event.

Anyhow, my main point here is that we are indeed very very passionate about the brand and its cars and do in fact understand its values.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day we do have to follow instructions - again, how it was carried out was probably not the best way.

I dont want this to get into a argument with all of you here but I just felt that I needed to correct this statement.

In fact there was this instance of 3 automobile engineering students coming upto me and asking me if they could see the cars and I told them that it wasnt possible. At this point a senior person in Lamborghini intervened, saw their IDs and told them they could see the cars but no pictures.

Cheers!
Hope I have not offended anyone.

Last edited by anantnehru : 19th November 2009 at 13:59.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:51   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Your post is uninformed and relies on 'old wives' tales' to justify discrimination.

Law can decide discrimination on various factors. I can ask you to stay away from my private property - yet allow people only on the basis of their religion. That would be discrimination. And that would be illegal.
This is pathetic, bringing religion, caste into this discussion. Please refrain from this unless you have proof that someone was discriminated based on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
Your private property can't supersede the rule of law - which states there can't be a discrimination based on several factors outlined by the Indian Constitution.
Exactly on what of these several factors were they denied entry ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:32   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 649 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If only Nitrous could start his own sports car company. That'll show Lambo
He needs to start with a tractor company first! ,

Getting back on track topic, its such a shame that they get away with it. I dont understand how its going to impress even the potential customers today who had come to drive the lambo's?? Being nice aint easy these days. Maybe it was a private affair, by invite only kinds, but there are nicer ways of communicating it. Definitely not this way!
Nilesh5417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 15:45   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
.....point here is that we are indeed very very passionate about the brand and its cars and do in fact understand its values.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day we do have to follow instructions - again, how it was carried out was probably not the best way.
all the passion in the world is useless if the means used to achieve the end are not proper.

Either way, I think its best that we leave this episode and move on. Like the female or the firm who thought they were too good for you, just leave them. It probably does not make economic sense to let all and sundry get access to a supercar in india. You or I are certainly not going to buy them, and if we were, we would have been invited.

While there are other manufacturers - like ferrari who took their cars on an all india tour, or even porsche - remember how they intervened after sidindica was shooed off when he asked for a brochure?

I guess Lamborghini wishes to establish itself as a Veblen Good . With a name like "Exclusive motors" and behavior to match, I think their priorities are obvious. I think it would be best if mere mortals like us stay out of their way.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 15:56   #58
BHPian
 
anantnehru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 446
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
all the passion in the world is useless if the means used to achieve the end are not proper.
Where again I say, we had instructions which had to be followed. Apart from us, there were also Lambo crew moving around to check certain protocols which had to be adhered to. I think its rather unfair to say that our passion is useless. Anyhow, as you said - much better to leave this episode and move on.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:05   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post
It's not because they're nice for the sake of being nice. It's because this niceness has been institutionalized by law. You can sue the heck out of them if they discriminate. They treat you fairly because of years of Affirmative Action reforms. There was a time - not too long ago - in the 60s when blacks were not allowed to shop in certain stores.
.
Your arguments as someone else mentioned sound great if only they discriminated on the basis of sex/religion/color. I beleive you are jumping to conclusions as to what happened.

We have this "black syndrome" in the US. You arent courteous to a white, you apologise you move on. You make the same mistake to a black, and its automatically racism. A simple apology dosnt suffice because they obviously expect more.

I see the same mentality that we are automatically eligible for entitlement creep amongst us. "How dare they refuse us ! call media !! You know who I am !?my Baap is this my Baap is that " !

Im not judging Nitrous here. Lambo officials do NOT know who Nitrous is. Heck 99% of the people on this forum wouldnt know him if they were to meet him on the street. He he is a commoner amonst a crowd. Maybe if he had represented himself as a Senior member of Team-BHP thigns could have been differnet, but I wouldnt know how that would sit with mods.

Infact im glad lambo turned random people asking for a glimpse at the car. No one who could wave a bunch of greens in hand made it through. It was an invite only event and people should have respected that.

I expect that people who were invited were from influential/rich backgrounds and as such some level of civility was expected from them. Can you only imagine chaiwallas/rickshawallas in full force on the tracks at times getting too close by getting on the tracks while lambos were doing laps ?!

I shudder to think of the above case, and dont tell me thats being too far fetched
Warhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:37   #60
BHPian
 
neoranjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

No offence to anyone here .. but just because I love to eat cakes, would I be welcome into everyones birthday party ?
Why are we even complaining ?
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Does anyone here watch "Overhaulin" on "Travel N Living"? Shan2nu Shifting gears 39 18th January 2011 23:17
Get ready to pay for "Free Service" and "Warranty" tsk1979 The Indian Car Scene 11 3rd November 2010 14:34
Why don't two wheelers pay toll?!! Tejas@perioimpl Street Experiences 16 22nd November 2008 15:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks