Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th May 2010, 15:17   #46
BHPian

Maybe the Golf is in response to the much talked about Fiesta hatch slated to be launched in 2011?!
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:25   #47
Team-BHP Support

Golf has to come to India and people WILL buy, for the simple reason, it would be built to last. It would meet most of city requirements and with TSI, would meet even the highway requirements. A compact powerful dynamo.

It has to come irrespective of whoever launches anything. But yes pricing would be the key. Most folks expect it to be in the range of 9-11. This is irksome point. But I think with TSI and the quality of build it may be worth paying for it.

If it were GTI, all the more.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:47   #48
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
This is old VW Golf. I have seen Golf with Left hand drive for testing in one of the Automotive companies. It is running in Europe for quite sometime. New to India.
its is Golf Mk 6, its BRAND NEW! not old VW Golf!
Muzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I'm not seeing any Indian Reg plates, RHD or beefed up ground clearance! These pics barely show anything! =)
Ya, sorry for the quality of the pics...it was my mobile and had to be quick!
But I saw the RHD and temp regn.
The boot lid said Golf TDI.
autoluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 17:16   #50
BHPian

I really wish this car comes here soon. What with all Excise benefits and hatches with 1.2 L engines, we have had enough of them now. I hope Golf has a length more than 4000 mtrs and thus will be offered with realistic engines. Problem though is it won't be priced less than Rs. 12 lakhs if and when launched.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 19:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Errr, almost... actually, the Jetta was a Golf with a boot stuck on it!
Thad, I know that, you know that, but how many others here know that?

If you go by the expectations voiced for a Gen 6 TSI engined golf for 9-10L, you can see where most are coming from. Their frame of reference is "sedan costs more than a hatch" so that's the argument i put forward!

Whether the chicken or egg came first is immaterial. Since we are all such sedan fans at the upper reaches of the market, the only flavor of TSI Golf I expect to see in this country is a 1.4 or 1.8 Jetta when the new one is released next year or the year after.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:41   #52
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the number of 1.6 Polos sold in india will determine the demand for golf, which will be a double premium hatch!

look at the sales of jazz, how many on road at 8 lakhs each?
Muzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:57   #53
BHPian

A Golf with a big TDI/ TSI motor @ 9 Lacs, without excise benefits? Nope. Not gonna happen. Forgetaboutit!

But what if VW * FINALLY * played its trump card and lauched it with the 1.2 TSI motor? I think the Golf can fit within excise length limitations and BANG! Suddenly, you have a lower excise, 102 bhp, very fuel efficient, torquey & spacious Golf TSI.

Sitting nicely at 1.5 lacs above the most expensive Polo. A whole new segment created with one purpose - take sales away from the Vernas, Optras, Cedias and Fiestas of the world. I, for one, see tremendous potential here
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 23:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad, I know that, you know that, but how many others here know that
I only know it because I was in Europe at the time --- which is also why I find it strange calling it a sedan, rather than a saloon!

Indeed... there is no reason to make a study of the model history, but this is one of those instances which highlights the Indian prejudice against hatchbacks, which is kind of odd, as the Golf is one of the greatest ever of hatchbacks, almost an archetype and the GTI was the hot hatch.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 00:23   #55
BHPian

There is no way one can expect Golf to be priced below 10 lakh rupees, come what may. When Jetta is priced at around 15 lakhs, maximum Golf could command would be a discount of 1.5 lakh rupees. Heck, Skoda Laura = VW Golf, so even that price looks unlikely, it could retail for as much as Laura. Also, isn't it much longer to be able to count for excise benefits, let alone the engine?

Realistically speaking, Golf could be a good D segment car with engines equaling or bettering Skoda Laura. So what if its a hatch, it has lot more practical space in the boot to be able to match Civic, if not Jetta in the segment. There is no point in comparing Golf to Jazz.
Old 5th May 2010, 00:42   #56
BHPian

The Golf is a fantastic car. But it is a class bigger than the Jazz and actually competes with the Focus in the European market. So are we Indians ready for a 9+ Lakh rupee hatch ? I am not really sure.
Honda's City/Jazz pair have demonstrated the tendency of the Indian car buyer. While the City is the best seller in its segment, the Jazz is a laggard. So one can get away with premium pricing for a sedan, but not for a hatch which is as good as (IMO better than) its cousin in some respects.
Right now, the Polo / i20 segment is the glass ceiling when it comes to premium hatches - in terms of higher price and sustainable sales numbers. Maybe VW can wait for an year or two for the market to graduate to even higher priced hatches.

Last edited by Anthym : 5th May 2010 at 00:44.
Anthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 01:10   #57
BHPian

^^@Anthym, I don't agree with you. Honda City and Jazz are not one and the same even if they share the same platform. IMO, Jazz failed mainly due to its engine. However good that 1.2L petrol may be, its just not value at that price-point. At its very same price, if Honda had offered 1.5L engine of City, it could have been different story altogether, but Honda were vary of Jazz sales hitting City. The only successful hatch and saloon combo in India at present is Swift and Dezire, which share a price difference like Jazz and City, but offer everything same apart from the boot. I do really hope VW don't see Jazz sales as market demand and postpone the Golf launch, if and when that's taking place. India needs good cars.
Old 5th May 2010, 04:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Honda's City/Jazz pair have demonstrated the tendency of the Indian car buyer. While the City is the best seller in its segment, the Jazz is a laggard. So one can get away with premium pricing for a sedan, but not for a hatch which is as good as (IMO better than) its cousin in some respects.
Right now, the Polo / i20 segment is the glass ceiling when it comes to premium hatches - in terms of higher price and sustainable sales numbers. Maybe VW can wait for an year or two for the market to graduate to even higher priced hatches.

The price ceiling for the current crop of hatches is 8 lacs OTR. You're telling me that there isn't a demographic willing to pay 1 Lac more to get a VW Golf instead of an I20?

I believe there's a rapidly growing number of sub 10 lac car buyers who want the build, luxury, features and feel good factor that a Golf can offer. If the Golf is superior in all these departments over comparably priced cars like the City and Cedia, then, for some, a boot may seem unnecessary.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 14:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
A Golf with a big TDI/ TSI motor @ 9 Lacs, without excise benefits? Nope. Not gonna happen. Forgetaboutit!

But what if VW * FINALLY * played its trump card and lauched it with the 1.2 TSI motor? I think the Golf can fit within excise length limitations and BANG! Suddenly, you have a lower excise, 102 bhp, very fuel efficient, torquey & spacious Golf TSI.
The Golf is about 4200 mm in length, unlikely that VW would try to bring it under the 4m length and for all the praise about the 1.2 TSIs combination of lower emissions and power etc, the reviews seem to suggest that its gruff (8 valver) and lacks bottom end which shows up in the Golf due to the heavier kerb weight as compared to the Polo. So not really a good choice for what is an iconic brand name.

I would expect that if it comes, it will come with the same engines as the Vento for economies of scale (1.6 petrol likely to be manufactured in India according to ACI) and the 1.6 TDI would be the best seller.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 14:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoluv View Post
S The car had MH-14 temp regn. and was RHD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I'm not seeing any Indian Reg plates, RHD or beefed up ground clearance! These pics barely show anything! =)
Indian plates and RHD had already been mentioned in the first post.And compare the pic of the Euro Golf posted in the first page of this thread to the one caught in India.There is a notable increase in ground clearance on the one spotted in India.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote