Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th July 2010, 10:16   #106
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If not the golf itself, the testing maybe for the engines, which we might see in the new Jetta which might be launched here in first half of 2011.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 13:57   #107
BHPian

I like the looks of the POLO more. Where does this car come in the hierarchy of VW cars? does it come in between the polo and jetta?
twinblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 16:26   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Not such a simple question. Up until now, the Jetta has been a Golf with a boot. I believe that the latest Jetta is an independent model.

It is hard to understand in the Indian market: the Golf has always been a very highly desirable car (at least in UK, if not in the rest of Europe) whereas the Jetta was a bit of an if-you-must-have-a-boot afterthought.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th July 2010 at 16:30.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 08:39   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
I like the looks of the POLO more. Where does this car come in the hierarchy of VW cars? does it come in between the polo and jetta?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not such a simple question. Up until now, the Jetta has been a Golf with a boot. I believe that the latest Jetta is an independent model.

It is hard to understand in the Indian market: the Golf has always been a very highly desirable car (at least in UK, if not in the rest of Europe) whereas the Jetta was a bit of an if-you-must-have-a-boot afterthought.
It is both right and wrong to say that the Golf looks like a Polo. Definitely both the cars share the new VW face. Its more like saying the F10 BMW 5 looks like a smaller 7. In the VW family, I am not sure where the Golf slot in the hierarchy (not sure if they have a definite one). In the SE Asia market, Golf is priced above the Jetta. As Thad E mentioned, in these markets Jetta is compromise for those who want a Golf with extra boot space.

The MK VI Golf is the safest car as per Euro NCAP 2009 results, and the Golf GTI is considered as one of the best hot hatch available today. Even Golf Sport 1.4 TSI is a pleasant compromise between performance and comfort. Whereas the Jetta is not as much as driver's car (compared to the Golf)

Some more info on Jetta & Golf (apologies if this was mentioned in the threads before). The current Jetta is basically MK V Golf (previous gen) with a boot. But from what I read and hear from the media, the 2011 Jetta is an absolutely new car, and not based on MK VI Golf.

To sum up, according to my understanding, the Golf is slotted slightly above the Jetta in global markets.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 12:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old topic here but any updates about the Golf's prospects in hitting our shores ??? I read somewhere that spotting the golf around isnt much reason to take heart as they are just testing the viability of the higher end diesel engines on the vento in India. I frankly dont know how much sense is makes as if they wanted to test if for a vento, they could have easily tested a polo import instead as the vento is a derivative of the polo and not the golf.
I,personally find golf spottings on multiple occassions as quite heartening. What makes me futher happy is spotting the tDi and not the tSi. No denying the fact that tsi is great but the tdi makes so much more sense.
Just wondering how that 140bhp tdi would feel in a golf ! WOW.
If at all it comes, it would surely be steep but yet i am interested and i also realize that i am 1 among not even 0.2% of the billion.
So much for my bhaashan
So people ??..any inputs ? 2011 Q3?? or no chance
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:51   #111
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Golf Spotted Testing

With increased BHP to polo and the price to shoot accordingly and still with a hatchback label, VM will not take much risk to introduce it to indian community.

Even a 105bhp TSI engine costs high in foriegn soils. Polo and Vento fitting into right propositions, it will also be a high task to fit the golf anywhere inbetween.

Hence i hope chances to introduce golf are thin.
Swooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 14:11   #112
BHPian

Post Re: Volkswagen Golf Spotted Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swooper View Post

Hence i hope chances to introduce golf are thin.

Here is link to a news article where "Tiguan" could make it.. Volkswagen to give Jetta, Passat a facelift

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th December 2010 at 16:34. Reason: quote mark fixed.
LL4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:03   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with the comments. Tiguan could make it here (probably depending on how Yeti is received), but chances of premium hatch like the Golf looks quite remote.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 17:09   #114
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just saw an AutoBild magazine, which had an interview with a member of board, vw India-forgot his name. His answer regarding Golf:
Golf will come to India eventually. But we wont produce it here, it will be assembled in Aurangabad plant via CKD route.

positives:
1. A very strong indication that the Golf is coming
2. Will be expensive obviously, but not CBU pricing as we suspected since it will be CKD.

negatives:
does not speak of a time frame. So, might not be this year
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote