Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th August 2005, 22:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Seems par for the course for a Honda.

What excess kgs? You make me sound like a Talwalkar's ad. I was running full load.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 22:35   #47
Team-BHP Support

v1p3r, watching this thread from the start.
To make your case really strong..fill up the tank once again from Shell and check again. Do not try that careful driving. Drive the way you drive normally (or any one for that matter) in town...share the result.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2005, 16:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Rudraji, believe it or not, that is my usual driving style. After all, where in Bangy can you rip open? It's only late at night that I get to clear her throat. Also, my dad, who is the only other person who drives her, sticks to pretty much the same style.

However, I will try it a few more times, and get an average of the averages! Thanks!
Old 15th August 2005, 04:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ok, just tanked up again. Now getting 15.4 kmpl. I assume the drop was because I was involved in a show of strength with a Vtec. Note to self: redlining does nothing to improve mileage...
Old 15th August 2005, 23:21   #50
BHPian

u lucky guys get such a good FE out of ur cars......my honda isnt giving me more that 8kmpl ,with ac on around 95%.changed engine oil,oil filter and air filter recently.havent got the injectors cleaned yet....can there be anything else which cud possibly lower the FE of a HONDA CITY 1.3*** to 8 kmpl from 12kmpl???????
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 00:30   #51
BHPian

Talking

Viper you are insulting the baleno by not crossing 1500 rpm....
I get the same figure from my wagonr, with a few rush of blood incidents.
I have used only shell petrol near isckon temple, till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
....can there be anything else which cud possibly lower the FE of a HONDA CITY 1.3*** to 8 kmpl from 12kmpl???????
Yes there is, take a rectagular piece of wood 1" thick, 2" wide and 4" length.
And place it below the accelarator pedal, so that the rpm does not go beyond 2000 rpm...

Last edited by Conan : 16th August 2005 at 00:35.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 01:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Conan saar! It's gone down by 0.48 kmpl precisely because I let loose against a friend's Vtec. I can hardly resist a challenge!

8kmpl from a 1.3 OHC? Man, I remember gettin 14. The lowest was 11, in mad rush hour traffic, with the AC on. Maybe you need to curb the loud pedal pushing!
Old 16th August 2005, 11:02   #53
BHPian

Thumbs up

well you all are lucky,
i get about Max 7Kmpl on my nissan...
worst was 4Kmpl on tank full...
the best i got was 11Kmpl on Highway...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 12:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
well you all are lucky,
i get about Max 7Kmpl on my nissan...
worst was 4Kmpl on tank full...
the best i got was 11Kmpl on Highway...
Which Nissan do you own, is it Xtrail?
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 13:57   #55
BHPian

My Baleno has given me 12.8 on the first tank full.

yesterday i got 12.2 when i got the tank filled the 2nd time.

The driving is totally in city with AC 100% of the time.

Baleno is very good to drive but i don't think it's very FE.. from what i read here,the Esteem and the NHC should be able to better these FE figures- as they are the most fuel efficient cars in the C segmant.

The dealer claims that the mileage will increase 1 - 1.5 km after the first service- but i doubt it.

Your figures are amazing - i guess you must be one of the most conscientious drivers around!

Last edited by imjimmy : 16th August 2005 at 14:01.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 15:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Jimmy, mileage will slowly increase. Once the engine is bedded in, efficiency rises. Your mileage figures are pretty good for a brand new car.

I'm not too conscientious, atleast when I get an open stretch of road. But in traffic I hardly rev it. The low end torque is a blessing.
Old 16th August 2005, 16:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Jimmy, mileage will slowly increase. Once the engine is bedded in, efficiency rises. Your mileage figures are pretty good for a brand new car.

Thanks for the info. I hope that is the case. Makes sense - although my experience with my all other previous cars was otherwise, with no significant mileage increase.

Even then i am more than satisfied with the car. It's an outstanding VFM package for the price w.r.t other C segmant cars. The Engine performance, ride handling etc are very good.

Quote:
I'm not too conscientious, atleast when I get an open stretch of road. But in traffic I hardly rev it. The low end torque is a blessing.
Good for you.
Although i was just browsing thru the manual the other day - 2 noteworthy pts w.r.t driving care for the first 1k Km were:

Not to drive at a constant speed. The car shd work at all revs.

And not to drive in a higher gear at low speed. A tendency which Baleno - coz of it's good low end torque- rather encourages
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 16:37   #58
BHPian

I have found that Milage depends quite heavily on how you drive and not as dependent as you may think on the size of the car and it's engine displacement...

A quick survey with a bunch of friends about their milage revealed the following:

MPFI Zen - 12 Kmpl (city); 15 Kmpl (highway)
1.3 Ikon - 8 Kmpl (city); 13 Kmpl (highway)
1.6 Ikon - 10 Kmpl (city); 14 Kmpl (highway)
My MPFI Esteem - 12 Kmpl (city); 15 Kmpl (highway)

Disclaimer: The above cars are owned by different people with differing driving styles and their cars are in varying conditions. Your car may not match with the above figures.

The shocker is the fact that the 1.6 Ikon actually gets a better milage than the 1.3 ! (Both drivers are the "normal" type!). Ditto for my Esteem vs. the Zen... in fact, if I drive down the Mumbai - Pune expressway, at a constant speed of 80Kmph, with the AC off and the windows rolled up, I actually get a milage of 17Kmpl (tried it many times)! Ofcourse, when I allow myself to have fun, that figure comes down to under 14Kmpl

My point is that big engines / big cars dont neccesarily give a lower milage than the smaller (economy?) cars!

("Daddy, that's why I wanna buy a 6.0L V8 engine for our M800!" )

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 18:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which Nissan do you own, is it Xtrail?
i think zulfikar owns a nissan bluebird, 90's model or something....

and jimmy, i can tell from my own experience that a fully run-in (wrong word, since run ins are for approx. 2500-5000 kms) car, or a 10,000 kms run car will definitely be more fuel efficient, since the piston-rings (along with the valves, conrod bearings, etc)would be worn-in enough to smoothen the strokes- plus, the engines get accustomed to your driving style (yup, believe it or not, cars have souls too- they adapt/react exactly to their driver's/ owner's inputs). also, a car that has more kms on it would be faster compared to a newer model of the same variant; again, this is not a steadfast rule, but is the general case. ideally, a car should start operating in it's optimal efficiency after about 10,000 kms. thereon, things can only get better- at least uptil 25,000. thereafter, a lot depends upon your maintenance and care.....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 19:39   #60
BHPian

Hey guys got me a pre-owned Baleno few days ago and it does'nt seem to be giving good mileage....i filled exactly 10 litres above reserve and it got over at 94 kms.....Is'nt that bad??

Am planning to get the car serviced at the showroom and tune it up....Will keep u posted on the developments....
speedfreak7116 is offline   Reply With Quote