Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th April 2006, 13:12   #106
BHPian

Cool

Yes FE increases to a limit after clocking a few kms, besides there is no need to speed in city, because the traffic lights are at a fixed distance, Even if you speed and rush away, you will find all late starters to be lined up with you and if you let away the speedsters, you might find yourself with them once again waiting at the next red light.

So best is to play it cool at a decent speed and with fewer brakes and it will make you happy.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 13:52   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Floyd , venkat to believe the unbelievable fill up early morning , shift gears at precisely 1750 rpms ( u will be shocked to see the response ) , dont cross over 2500 revvs , without AC and im sure u will get 14-15 kmpl in the city .. Thats how v1p3r and me manage to do that , bcoz all our savings goes into tanking up during the weekends for some rubber burning fun and jolly ...

FE will only get better as u clock more miles , so expect atleast an increase of 1-2 kmpl after completing 5k kms ..
Hey McLaren,

the early morning laps you are talking about i am sure would return me 14 kmpl without AC easily as i have myself seen 15 kmpl with 100% AC on highway. But for the bangalore's traffic it is returning 8 kmpl which i find very surprising.

Because my friends NHC on highways gave 18 kmpl and in bangalore traffic it gave 13 kmpl.

So if a Baleno gave 15 on highway why shouldn't it give me say 10 or 11 kmpl in city??

So my guess is that Baleno is very inefficient in 1/2/3 gears as compared to 4/5 gears. [may be this is a negative effect of Tall gearing]

Whereas NHC might be pretty decent in all gears.

Guys, what do you think ?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 13:52   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Yes always. what are the tips to avoid this ?
Well, anticipating stoppages and letting engine braking do the job of deceleration (instead of pumping the brakes) are some tips. Basically, defensive driving.

Quote:
if i switch off the engine i belive just the fan would be running right? is it ok to run the fan when the engine is not running for say about 3 minutes
As Busa mentioned, it has an effect on the battery, but not enough to leave you stranded. I do that quite often, when I have to wait at traffic lights for a couple of minutes. But to keep the fan on, the key needs to be at the ON position (fan does not come up at the ACC position). I was worried that the fuel pump would keep running all this time and it could be bad. Wrote to Maruti and their engineer called me - he said that the fuel pump does come on when we turn the key to ON position, but if we do not start the car, it shuts off. So, keeping the fan on, seems to be OK.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 15:45   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

2900+ kms FE update

City (Kolkata) driving : 11 kmpl

Average daily drive : 30kms (20% of it through an open stretch)
Average speed over the distance : 20-35 km/hr
Max speeds in open stretch : 120 ish
Max speeds in other areas : 80 ish
AC (always use Auto) : 50%
Engine on at lights : 90%
Fuel : XtraPremium
Top up time : Generally after sunset after 450+ kms (16-19 days)
Parking : approx 8 hours out in the sun
Tyre pressure : 27psi
General shift pattern :
1st to 2nd @ 1200
2nd to 3rd @ 2200
3rd to 4th @ 2000
4th to 5th @ 2000

Driving style - a 70:30 mix of quick and sedate;
70% - moderately quick acceleration, brakes, acceleration, brakes ..... darting in and out of traffic ..
30% - at times go up to 5th shifting @1500 ish, stay in 5th as long as possi (upto rpms as low as 800/900) .. shift to 4th if necessary and again stay there as long as possi etc ..

To put it into perspective, with the same parameters, I would have got 8.5kmpl in my Indica 2000 petrol.
Friends with similar parameters (and lot less enthusiastic driving) get, 12-14kmpl in their Santros, Zens, Esteems ..
I am b****y happy !!!

Last edited by shuvc : 17th April 2006 at 15:55.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 18:57   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
[b]...Top up time : Generally after sunset...
Try changing timing to early morning (before 8-9 a.m.). The cool earth at night cools the underground tank to the extent that petrol density is highest at this time (=more petrol for same volume dispensed). Just after sunset, the u/g tank is warmest, hence petrol density is lowest (=less petrol for same volume dispensed).
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 19:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when I have to wait at traffic lights for a couple of minutes
I dont think that would help in economy because..

Quote:
Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine.
Source
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 11:57   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Try changing timing to early morning (before 8-9 a.m.). The cool earth at night cools the underground tank to the extent that petrol density is highest at this time (=more petrol for same volume dispensed). Just after sunset, the u/g tank is warmest, hence petrol density is lowest (=less petrol for same volume dispensed).
Hi MSprabhakar,

Interesting note...

is there a substantial difference in the volume dispensed between morning v/s evening?
Old 18th April 2006, 14:46   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Floyd , venkat to believe the unbelievable fill up early morning , shift gears at precisely 1750 rpms ( u will be shocked to see the response ) , dont cross over 2500 revvs , without AC and im sure u will get 14-15 kmpl in the city .. Thats how v1p3r and me manage to do that , bcoz all our savings goes into tanking up during the weekends for some rubber burning fun and jolly ...

FE will only get better as u clock more miles , so expect atleast an increase of 1-2 kmpl after completing 5k kms ..
Hi McLaren,

1. Whats so special about 1750 rpms?
2. Whats ur FE with 100% AC in city?
3. what was ur FE before completing 5k and after completing it?
4. If i am in 3rd gear, i see a speed-breaker after 100 m, now should i shift to 4th gear to drive the next 100m or should i just continue on the 3rd gear itself?
Old 18th April 2006, 14:50   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default Let's try to calculate the loss due to filling up during the daytime

Quote:
Hi MSprabhakar,

Interesting note...

is there a substantial difference in the volume dispensed between morning v/s evening?
Nice point. Would it be difficult to arrive at an approximate estimate of how much one would lose over say 10 litres of fuel ?
I mean using the simple laws of physics (volume, density etc) - which I now realise I have forgotten .

Some googling brought up this discussion. http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/24323
The specific gravity of petrol is .737kg/litre
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_liquids.htm
The difference seems to be around 5/6% for a 40 degree difference in temperature. For most of us the difference between daytime and early morning temp would be around 10degrees. So if we assume that we'll get a 2% benefit for a 10 degree difference, it boils down to this.

If at noon u get 10 L of fuel, in the morning you would get 10.2 L. I fill 40L at one go. I would get 40.8 L. My mileage would at most increase by around 0.2 kmpl.

All this assuming, that our pumps are not calibrated to factor in these volume changes which, as per this link http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/24323 , is a standard norm in the west.

Please let me know if I'm completely off track with the calculations/assumptions here.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 15:21   #115
BHPian

Shuv, the links are pretty good. Gist of the above links.

1 Litre (.661 kg @ 40degrees) = 1 Litre (.702 kg @ 0 degrees)
0.04 kg(about 5%) is the difference

Now in india the usual difference between day and night temperatures will be 5 ~ 10 degrees. Assuming about 10 degrees being the difference at land surface, the temperature difference underground where the huge tank will be located at the pumps can be assumed as say 6 degrees.
For a 40 degree temperature range the weight difference is 0.04 kg(5%)
assuming linear variation for a 6 degree temperature range the weight difference would be 0.7%

for argument sake lets say 1 % weight differnce in indian conditions.
So the FE would also change by 1 % which could be 0.1 kmpl for a car with 10 kmpl FE.

Guys, dont pounce on me, these were some rough calculations...he he.
Old 18th April 2006, 15:37   #116
BHPian

My palio 1.6 Gtx gives me 5-7 in the city :( on my trip 2 pune via the bbay-pune expressway, i got an average of arnd 14-15!!

My OHC 1.5exi gives me approx 9-11 in the city.. ive heard of better figures though.. any other way to improve FE ??.. on my trip 2 Goa i got around 16

~Cheers
-Ash
buzzin_hornets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 17:38   #117
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted.... what I wrote... wasn't making sense after giving it a second thought.

Last edited by SLK : 18th April 2006 at 17:43.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 20:34   #118
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Hi McLaren,

1. Whats so special about 1750 rpms?
2. Whats ur FE with 100% AC in city?
3. what was ur FE before completing 5k and after completing it?
4. If i am in 3rd gear, i see a speed-breaker after 100 m, now should i shift to 4th gear to drive the next 100m or should i just continue on the 3rd gear itself?
1 . Well shifting at 1750 rpms gives u balance such that u wont strain the engine at the same time not be too high on revvs too thereby increasing fuel consumption ..
2. Well im kind of allergic to AC , so hardly use AC unless there is a real need to .. So cant comment on that part .. Moreover , my AC condensor and compressor have been removed , so no more AC for sometime now ..
3. Well before 5k i used to consistantly get 14-15 kmpl in the city and even got 17.xx on the highways during the intial 1000 kms run-in period too .. The car hasnt crossed 5k yet , moreover the car is undergoing engine mods so expect the FE to only increase ..
4. Well always remember the higher gear u are in and the less throttle u give the lesser is the fuel consumed ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 21:31   #119
BHPian

i get around 11kmpl in my baleno with 50%a/c and regular driving style.. Its given me a maximum of 13kmpl without using the a/c. Considering tht my car has clocked 68000 kms its pretty decent mileage... I've got 14kmpl on the highway, i guess thats becuz i average at around 130-140 kmph... and have pumped her to 190kmph on many occasions...
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 10:21   #120
BHPian

Quote:
1 .
2. Well im kind of allergic to AC , so hardly use AC unless there is a real need to .. So cant comment on that part .. Moreover , my AC condensor and compressor have been removed , so no more AC for sometime now ..
Baleno....and....No AC .......what happened to it?