Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st January 2012, 12:54   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Indica- a tribute

Agree with most of members here. But where I beg to differ is the build quality of the body. I've been owning one for the past 6 years (serviced and waxed regularly). Its hardly given me any trouble and have taken all the punishment with the famous smile. Despite this the metal has seen corrosion on many a places thus depreciating any chances of a good resale value. Haven't ever used "hard water" for cleaning. Just wish they made the bodies more corrosion resistant.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 13:27   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Agree with most of members here. But where I beg to differ is the build quality of the body. I've been owning one for the past 6 years (serviced and waxed regularly). Its hardly given me any trouble and have taken all the punishment with the famous smile. Despite this the metal has seen corrosion on many a places thus depreciating any chances of a good resale value. Haven't ever used "hard water" for cleaning. Just wish they made the bodies more corrosion resistant.
In Mumbai after 6 years, almost any of the B/C segment cars will show what you experience, unless you have corrosion resistance treatment done when you bought it. My cousin who stays at Andheri W, has a santro (2005-6) which is a total rust bucket. Same car, same model in Pune which a close friend has does not show these signs!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 14:22   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Are you sure on this?
Yes. VGT was introduced in Indica in 2008 in the Dicor model which is now called CR4. For reasons best known to TM, this feature is not advertised. Could be due to modest power output.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:22   #169
BANNED

I had recently travelled in 2011 Indica eV2 DLS and in the rear seat three adults could sit very comfortably. the cladding less new exterior was improving the good looks of the car.

The leg room at the front and rear are spacious. engine noise is reasonable. A/c is superb and 1st position itself was chiller.

Only If the transmission hump can be made flat Indica rear seating for the middle passenger will be more enjoyable.

City ride and highway travel was smooth.

The car was brand new with less than 8K kms done in a month by the cab guy and the OTR chennai price was 4.75 Lakhs which seemed pricy for the features it offered.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:31   #170
BHPian

Great writeup sid. But that's what we have come to expect from you.

I was thrilled when I heard about the Indica, when ir was show cased in 1998 Auto Expo, I traveled all the way from Karnal to get a glimps of this beauty. It is a timeless design. Even after 13 years the design still looks good.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:35   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
In Mumbai after 6 years, almost any of the B/C segment cars will show what you experience, unless you have corrosion resistance treatment done when you bought it.
Not sure I agree with you torque. We had a Corolla (7 years +) in the family which we just sold off few months back. Washed by the same water same person. It even was exposed to the elements more than the Indica. Yet it never had any sign of rust. No anti corrosion treatment done on either cars.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 11:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Despite this the metal has seen corrosion on many a places thus depreciating any chances of a good resale value.
I have a 8 year old Indica LSI petrol. Had the best pickup and power for a petrol car in its segment for a long time. Its only now that I have one spot with body corrosion, despite having had to park in the open for all these years. Perhaps the difference is the water and rain in Mumbai and Bangalore. The only repetitive problem I have in the car is faulty silencers. Love the driving feel and also the back seat comfort!!
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 16:00   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure I agree with you torque. We had a Corolla (7 years +) in the family which we just sold off few months back. Washed by the same water same person. It even was exposed to the elements more than the Indica. Yet it never had any sign of rust. No anti corrosion treatment done on either cars.
You are comparing apples to oranges misraji. Corolla is 2.5 times more expensive. If you compare it to a car from the same price range I am sure you will see what I am saying!
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 18:43   #174
BHPian

A footage from 1998 Birmingham Motor show. We can see a early prototype of indica.
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote