Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd September 2010, 10:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
Hello,

I would like to ask forums members if anyone has Archive recording of show on BBC called BBC wheels.I am researching car and driving option for people with disabilities in India and someone suggested there were few episodes where they featured physically challenged drivers.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Connie
I remember the episode you speak of, must've aired 10 years back atleast. I also remember the name of the gent making these conversions on cars in Bombay - his name was Ferdinand Rodrigues/Rodricks if I remember right. I'm afraid that's all I can say - Good luck!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I remember the episode you speak of, must've aired 10 years back atleast. I also remember the name of the gent making these conversions on cars in Bombay - his name was Ferdinand Rodrigues/Rodricks if I remember right. I'm afraid that's all I can say - Good luck!
This guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ruler

As Viper said, the best person to contact is Ferdi Rodricks. You can reach him on 98201.20556 / 2418.1283. Also check out his website at Welcome to HandicappedPeople.com. His workshop (Mahindra Authorised) is at Parel.

He has a solution for almost every handicap and for each Indian car.

Thanks to the link (Santro Xing Modification for Handicap) posted by GTO!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:30   #18

My younger sister loved (still loves) to drive! Unfortunately she's got a condition called Fibromyalgia - and she's been fighting with it for the past 4 years now. The use of her left leg is most severely restricted, hence no chance for her to drive a car unless it's an AT. Even so, the pain in her other parts like the right leg dis-encourages me to buy her an AT because there can be situations where hard braking is required.
Having a chauffeur seems the only option here, but as somebody rightfully mentioned in this thread - it's about independence!!
AMW201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 18:56   #19
BANNED

Well, I dont know much about this, But I do know that there is a Company called Ferro which makes cars for Disabled people. It is run from Milestone motors in Parel.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:46   #20
BANNED

hello , Connie also have a look at this link . A scooter's controlls converted for handicaped use ( by me for a friend ) & dont hesitate for asking anything in this subject .

I will be more than happy if I could help here .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...caped-use.html (Pics, converted Bajaj for handicaped use)

yours Sudarshan

P.S. anyone may copy my Ideas , for helping a handicaped person ( thats the sole intention of diplaying it here )
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 20:29   #21
BHPian

Welcome aboard Connie. It's a very interesting study that you'll be conducting. As Rehaan mentioned, please do give us more details of your study. Scope, timelines, expected outcome, use of the study etc.

However, your post made me think. And then I wondered why I had never thought of this topic before. And this is why:

1. I have rarely seen a disabled person driving either a rickshaw (Indian tuk-tuk) or a 4-wheeler. Like blackasta mentioned, most disabled ppl who can afford cars will probably own a chauffeur.

2. I might sound slightly corny but very often family ties are stronger in India than in the West and disabled ppl would probably be chauffeured by their relatives

3. But there are still disabled ppl who do need to drive to earn their daily bread. Many of them modify a Kinetic Honda or other such gearless scooters by adding two wheels at either sides.Now these scooters have all their controls - brakes, accelerator, push-button start - all operable by hand. To understand India, you'll have to realize that 2-wheelers are still the most popular mode of transport for most ppl in B & C-grade town (by a ratio of probably 10:1 - but this is just a guesstimate; though I'll say it's still a conservative estimate). In metros, it's usually the public transport that ppl use.

However, yours is a valid point. What if disabled ppl want to be able to drive & be independent? If you can detail out the scope etc. slightly more, I'm sure we'll be able to research and be able to help you better.

Connie, these should give you an idea:

Google Image Result for http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/disability/decade/publications/z15002p2/z15002g/z1500203g19.jpg

Google Image Result for http://funniest-place.com/Pics/JetScooter/JetScooter003.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.scooter-sidecars.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/stealth_raptor_honda.gif

Google Image Result for http://bp2.blogger.com/_YBEtL2E8BTg/R77mPBTCn9I/AAAAAAAAA-E/RB5lwuRd9jw/s800/08-02-22.jpg

Regards.

PS: Will you be coming to India to experience things first-hand?

Last edited by manishk83 : 5th September 2010 at 20:47.
manishk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 23:01   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Drivers with Disabilities

Is this thread still alive ? Is Connie still reachable ? I am a disabled driver and I need to get some inputs from you on getting a proper invalid carriage license.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:06   #23

Default BBC Top Gear

Hello,

I am looking for video archives or recording of auto show on BBC India called top gear in 90's does anyone have access to recordings.

It will be very helpful in my research that is driving for physically challenged in India there was a special episode dedicated to such drivers in that show.

Thank you.

Regards,

Connie
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:29   #24
BHPian

Default Re: BBC Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
Hello,

I am looking for video archives or recording of auto show on BBC India called top gear in 90's does anyone have access to recordings.

It will be very helpful in my research that is driving for physically challenged in India there was a special episode dedicated to such drivers in that show.

Thank you.

Regards,

Connie
I think you are referring to the Blind Man Rally. It still happens in India. It was a part of the show: Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld. You can find links on YouTube.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie
Hello,

Thank you.

Regards,

Connie
This particular Top Gear Episode was telecast in 1993 or 1994. The CEAT Car Rally for the Blind which is held every year in Madras. Clarkson once drove in it being navigated by a blind person. As usual he was quite caustic about it, but overall a fun episode.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:44   #26
BHPian

Just type Clarkson's Motorworld - India in youtube and you'll find the video. Its around the half way mark.
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 22:40   #27

Thank you gentleman for your replies.

The show I am talking about did not had any British hosts but Indian hosts maybe the show was called "Wheels".

This was not about visually impaired but it featured a lady who was polio afflicted.It was in 90's

Does anyone have leads on that.

Regards,

Connie
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Drivers with Disabilities

There is this article on Ferdinand Rodricks. Kudos to the guy

The man who makes cars for the disabled - Rediff.com News
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 18:41   #29
BHPian

Default Which car for the orthopedically challenged?

Hi. I have an acquaintance who is orthopedically challenged with weakness in his legs. He finds it inconvenient to drive the usual cars on road. I think what he needs is an AT with power brakes, power steering and good on road response. Since it seems that no company is making cars for the physically challenged (I tried mailing all companies with no positive response), it seems that this is the best bet that he has. Due to his weakness public transport is ruled out. He has to drive around 600 km per month. All suggestions are welcome.
superlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 01:09   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Which car for the orthopedically challenged?

One but in Chennai - Link

Two - Link

They may not be close to you, but I am sure they will know someone around you.
Hope this helps, I knew of another one, just cant recollect right now, I will post more when I remember.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote