Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2009, 13:50   #46
BHPian

I had actually expected VW to expand its product portfolio before launching a niche product like beetle. I have nothing against 20L price tag on beetle and frankly with the engine specs and novelty value, even 20L would be value for money for beetle and VW enthusiasts.

My concern is whether India has these beetle specific enthusiasts with the kind of money it demands ?

Frankly, Golf would have been a better launch for VW here.

But then again, as many people have pointed, VW may not be targeting major sales anyways so with no pressure to do numbers and retailing car as complete import (i.e no assembly plant requirements), VW can launch pretty much any car that tickles their fancy.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:57   #47
BHPian

Default VW's (likely) positioning

Lads,

IMHO, the positioning of the cars are very clear, as follows :

Polo : The high volume seller for VW - has to be priced right in line with features; the reliability, frugality and smoothness has to be there.

Likely target segment - premium hatch- entry level C segment sedan/family car.

Beetle : Halo model. Few numbers sold.

Touareg : High end SUV for the discerning few. Few numbers sold

Jetta : Entry level executive sedan/ premium C segment family car - for buyers who want comfort, understated appeal, solid build, good power. Will sell among people who are not smitten by the Civic/Cruze/Altis and are willing to spend more for the above characteristics. Expect sales in the hundreds pa, not more.

Passat : Mainstream executive sedan. Comfort, understated appeal. Expect sales in the hundreds pa, not more.

Golf : No plans yet for India- the thinking might be that a Golf might have sell as much as a Beetle in India. the Beetle will be preferred as it is more cute and there are very few petrolheads who would like a performance/hot hatch, at say 20 lacs plus.

Let us not speculate about the Beetle at all -it won't be a volume seller, it is not meant for the masses.

P.S. : I re-checked at the Fiat stall at the AutoCar India show and they have no idea about any plans for the Bravo; the Bravo is trying to contend with the Golf in EU.

Regards
Old 21st November 2009, 17:24   #48
BHPian

As per Car Trade India website,
VW has also confirmed that the Beetle will be launched here in India on 4th Decfember in Mumbai along with SUV Taureg. As the Beetle will be a direct import i.e. CBU (Completely Built-Up Unit), its price will be around 20L.
Old 21st November 2009, 18:00   #49
BHPian

Saw a Yellow Beetle with a rear spolier today at Deonar near Chembur (couldn't click pictures since I was traveling in a Best Bus). It had some different kind of number (MRH-) not the normal MH series. But the disappointing thing was that it had its front logo missing
Old 21st November 2009, 23:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

The car is priced well and with the 2.0 liter engine and the auto box will do wonders. This is targeted as the 3rd car ithe house so sales would not be minimal as speculated. I am confident this would go in favour of VW and be a hot seller. I definately am getting one for my neice in either lazer Blue pearl, candy white or salsa red. Have to see the colours in person to make the choice. We have a Yellow convertible in the house and she is great fun to drive.

Last edited by speedy : 21st November 2009 at 23:08.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Only rich spoiled brats can afford to buy one. All the my eyes are on polo.
Seems to be a good starting price for polo.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:02   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Why's everyone behaving like VW wants to create volumes with the Beetle?
Absolutely agreed! The Beetle is little more than a brand building exercise. VW wants to bring the "WOW" factor to its showrooms (and the brand) with the Beetle. No one expects the Beetle to sell in huge numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Only rich spoiled brats can afford to buy one.
I think we are losing touch with reality here? You mean to say that some hotshot corporate / a self-made entrepreneur cannot buy the Beetle? Let's keep our comments realistic.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:17   #53
BHPian

20 lakhs is a wee too much for a model which is on its way to be phased out pretty soon. Lets not forget that the beetle as we know it currently is a 9 (?) year old model.
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:09   #54
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Start earning twenty lakhs a month. You'll see value in the Beetle then
Then I would see value in buying a 7 series and maybe even a 911.
But wait, would I say, I have soo much money, why not buy the beetle and toss it in the backyard...umm nooo... I would probably still pass.

I mean, seriously. Is it trying get in the same price bracket as the Skoda SUPERB and CAMRY.

The consensus is that its just a heritage building exercise by VW and they are not looking to sell this is many numbers. With that price, they just made sure it doesn't get sold too much.

Last edited by vij : 23rd November 2009 at 18:12.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:53   #55
BHPian

Its understandable that VW is lauching the Beetle primarily as a brand-building exercize. However, the Beetle is the backward-looking car of the VW stable (inspired by the old Beetle, been around for quite a few years). I would have much preferred if VW had instead launched the Scirocco in India, as its a far more exciting vehicle and would draw a lot more attention on the road than a Beetle. Furthermore, the performance oriented nature of the Scirocco would be highly praised by journalists and enthusiasts, generating a good buzz for VW ahead of the launch of the Polo. In fact, the styling of the new Polo was influenced by the Scirocco.
Old 24th November 2009, 04:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Whats the touareg pricing like?
i am interested more in toureg and polo! i hope they keep the price of toureg really lower! 40-42 lacs would seem fair i guess! i hope fingers crossed

Last edited by Caramelo : 24th November 2009 at 04:57.
Old 24th November 2009, 05:17   #57
BHPian

wish VW launcehd the Golf, that would be an awesome performance hatch but the beetle is just to get the brand value in india & to make the polo feel super cheap
Old 24th November 2009, 17:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Then I would see value in buying a 7 series and maybe even a 911.
But wait, would I say, I have soo much money, why not buy the beetle and toss it in the backyard...umm nooo... I would probably still pass.
Its not so much about what is value for money and what's not. Its more about the ability to indulge in a luxury. And that will change your perspective on value.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think we are losing touch with reality here? You mean to say that some hotshot corporate / a self-made entrepreneur cannot buy the Beetle? Let's keep our comments realistic.
I don't mean they can't, but they would be on a watch out for road boats
Except few who want to stand out of crowd.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:32   #60
BHPian

In the last 20 years I can remember only the beetle as a model that belonged to VW. So I can imagine why the management decided to bring the beetle here. Having said that I would have liked to see Scirocco instead, which I believe would be around the price range of 20L. Even though I never knew much about this car the design is quite exciting. This would have definitely done the job better
Closed Thread