Old 1st September 2005, 14:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

Look at the Ace carefully
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 15:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Traffic!!! The resulting traffic will be Crazy.

Cheers
We are happy to bear this traffic if they somehow reduce 2 wheelers on indian traffic. At least there wont be rash riders performing all kind of stunts on busy Roads.
Even though it would be slow moving traffic but there will less no of Accidents( specially people with out helmets loosing lifes in two wheelers accidents).

Last edited by greatDrive : 1st September 2005 at 15:59.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 16:01   #18
BHPian

spot on ajmat!

was discussing this with a tata motors employee the other day. what better way to test your chassis than launch a load bearer? besides, the ace would provide them with lead time to fine tune and depreciate the assembly line. component sharing would allow them to leverage economies of scale....

was also told that the car would head to africa and other low end economies. they arent specific that it has to be sold under the tata name alone. a do-it-yourself kit would allow smaller assemblers to sell the car, thus saving them assembly lines. truly global thinking (keeping in mind the tech and finance limitations)!

GO TATA!

Last edited by maedi : 1st September 2005 at 16:06.
maedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 18:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ace already costs 2 lakh plus.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 22:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default when is the Rs 1 lac car by tata goin to be launched ???

Mr. Ratan Tata had promised that he will give the indian consumer a 4 wheeler for around a lac.

dunno whats happening on that. . . anyone over there knowing whats happening about it ?????
ac 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 22:36   #21
Team-BHP Support

ITs already launched. Tata ACE
On a more serious note the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
And on an even more serious note when the fiat ASS improves, fabia is launched and swift 100bhp hot hatch comes into the market with 100 bhp indica as competition.
2007 is the rumour if you want a true answer
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 22:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
ITs already launched. Tata ACE
On a more serious note the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
And on an even more serious note when the fiat ASS improves, fabia is launched and swift 100bhp hot hatch comes into the market with 100 bhp indica as competition.
2007 is the rumour if you want a true answer
tata ace ??? never heard anything about it, can u thow some light on it and spread some knowledge about that vehicle. . .
ac 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 00:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what DC Designs could do to this
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 00:14   #24
Team-BHP Support

here you will find all info about the ace
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yeah the ACE is a hit! And while it wont be 1 lac, it'll be cheaper adjusted for inflation since the time that prie was announced, i'd guess.
The crash ratings will definitely be city-worthy - tho highways are probably not the intended tarmac for this. If its half decently designed - at least in a 'premuim' avataar, it might make a good replacement for autos/citicabs (mostly ppl, no luggage, lower speeds), or even a cheap to buy/run/maintain city runabout as a second car.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why will anyone buy a PROXY car for one lakh + when at the same price he can a second hand zen or santo or wagon R with proper car features and AC... so important in delhi heat.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
Yeah the ACE is a hit! And while it wont be 1 lac, it'll be cheaper adjusted for inflation since the time that prie was announced, i'd guess.
I doubt if the Ace is the platform because it costs 2.3 lakhs on the road.

We hear talk of Tatas talking to the Munjals (Hero) to develop a 600cc petrol engine for this new car. We also hear stories about them wanting to follow the 'Smart' route for distribution - Tata makes the components (engine, Suspension, etc) as separate entities and the distributor will set up a small assembling unit (registered as an SSI to avail lower rates and taxes, I guess) to put together the final vehicle. The similarity with the Smart is also that they seem to be looking at a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle with lots of composite materials (probably FRP) around a strong steel frame.

Ligier have attempted something similar, but the result is obviously very expensive because its made in Europe.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 12:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Why will anyone buy a PROXY car for one lakh + when at the same price he can a second hand zen or santo or wagon R with proper car features and AC... so important in delhi heat.
The reason my dear friend is that a 1L Santro or for that matter any other brand will also be a PROXY car as you put it. Ask yourself. What kind of car it will be if it costs you 25% of what it originally costed? A 6+ years old car that has driven some 70-80 thousand kms, or may be more... has worn out accessories and may be even parts. A (proxy) car that will spend 20 days of a month either parked in the garage.

And if you are not convinced come to my house. One of my neighbour has two such cars (they are two brothers). You will get an idea what a 1L car (pre-owned 'proper' car) is all about
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 15:35   #29
BHPian

Default Experience about ACE

My brother has got an ACE for his office use...Let me share my view about it.

Appearance:
It looks a little be bigger than a Maruti van, driver cabin feels much spacious than M' Van and the instruments feels like a bit tough and rugged (mind you this vehicle is made for city delivery). By default it has a open/pick-up trailer, so if you are looking for safety you need to build a box structure. Pay load is half a ton (and most of the weight will be taken for the box structure...if you happened to build one).

Engine:
Sorry I'm not sure about the crappy diesel engine...was not even interested to know about it.
I did like ACE until someone started it...yukkk it sounds similar to that of a diesel share auto ...ya it was a little bit better in terms of noise n vibration.

Ownership:
In one month time span 1) Engine seized 2) Front suspension had major problem (hunk noise when drove on small potholes) 3) Rear visibility is a extreme concern after installing the box

My concern is - if a 2.3 lac vehicle has so many problems imagine how an 1 lac vehicle would be ...?
VtecDeGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 15:42   #30
BHPian

I do respect TATA's vision to give 1 lac car...Love to see a little bit of quality in what ever they might come out.
VtecDeGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote