Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 10:11   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,573
Thanked: 814 Times
Default

Need another car in the family. Looking at City. Do you think there will be anything special on the price front? (maybe a price increase??)
Hope every car company gives what people need.
srishiva is online now  
Old 30th November 2009, 11:27   #17
BHPian
 
hiren959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 339
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

The reason behind these numbers are very simple, ANHC is fantastic in performance and looks(Civic + BMW). I am a proud owner of ANHC and it makes me smile every time I drive it. A brilliant product from Honda.
hiren959 is offline  
Old 30th November 2009, 11:43   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 648
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Reason for the sales of ANHC is for Great looks and super refined engine, No one can come even close to it, that front arrow looks. And Honda does launch the same international model in India, not like other companies, which keep the same old model long after newer models are launched internationally. And last but not the least super A.S.S.
shamanth is offline  
Old 30th November 2009, 13:52   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,600
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Reason for the sales of ANHC is for Great looks and super refined engine, No one can come even close to it, that front arrow looks.
Looks are a bit subjective right.
I've heard my friend (ANHC owner) saying that he is not a fan of the front looks of ANHC, he says it is too much geometrical, which I also agreed.

Personally I feel Honda has to improve on the looks front still - they need to get inspiration from some good European designs.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th November 2009 at 13:54.
clevermax is online now  
Old 30th November 2009, 19:23   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,699
Thanked: 89,110 Times
Default

Fitting achievement to a fantastic 9 lakh rupee sedan. I do believe that the success of the ANHC can be credited to its all roundedness. Does the job whether its power, FE, handling, ride quality, interior space and reliability. It is the class-topper in some (power, FE, reliability) and even where it doesnt top out (ride quality, handling), the City does alright. Also, the City nameplate has proven itself in over a decade.

It's a "can't go wrong" choice in the segment.
GTO is offline  
Old 30th November 2009, 19:32   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 648
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Looks are a bit subjective right.
I've heard my friend (ANHC owner) saying that he is not a fan of the front looks of ANHC, he says it is too much geometrical, which I also agreed.

Personally I feel Honda has to improve on the looks front still - they need to get inspiration from some good European designs.
I personally dont like european design. Seeing the sales of ANHC we can assume majority likes design of ANHC. Especially in India where people give lot of importance to people view before buying anything.
shamanth is offline  
Old 30th November 2009, 19:36   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default

Great acheivement for Honda!
anachronix is online now  
Old 1st December 2009, 11:48   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,600
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I personally dont like european design. Seeing the sales of ANHC we can assume majority likes design of ANHC. Especially in India where people give lot of importance to people view before buying anything.
Alright looks are subjective and it is evident from this discussion. My point was, the looks of ANHC alone might not have contributed in a big way to achieve this high number of sales.
clevermax is online now  
Old 1st December 2009, 12:13   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore.
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

@GTO, For us in Bangalore, its a 1 Million Ruppee car ;-(. You are right, when you say " cant go wrong choice"

50K cars in an year, thats around 4 k odd cars per month.Is that a good number for the ANHC or should have been more ?

How did the ZX sale before this model ?

Last edited by nandans2005 : 1st December 2009 at 12:16.
nandans2005 is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 13:21   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

City is selling so much only because of absence of any real competition in its segment. Let any new equally or more competent model come to challenge it and it will also become an 'also ran' like Civic, Accord, Jazz and CRV.

City does have its strong points but the car is under equipped and over priced. I hope Polo Saloon may provide tough competition to it.
akj53 is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 13:31   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
City is selling so much only because of absence of any real competition in its segment.

City does have its strong points but the car is under equipped and over priced. I hope Polo Saloon may provide tough competition to it.
Competition exists in every segment, for City there is Optra, Verna, Linea, SX4 as competition products, At least i have not read any buyer (on forum or off the forum) telling that i bought City because there are no other choices. One can ready in every ANHC ownership thread, that the prospective buyer has considered several different models prior to the decision.

Second, the 50000 buyers does not think that the car is under equiped and over priced. They clearly see it as a VALUE (else they would not have bought it)

Future competition and its success no one can predict, No one in India buy a car for "as a product" they always buy a var for its overall value including avilability, performance, features, equipment, price, reliability, post service experience, cost of ownership, fuel economy etc, etc

More competition is alwasy better for the consumer like you and me.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st December 2009 at 13:41.
StarVegabond is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 13:45   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
City is selling so much only because of absence of any real competition in its segment. Let any new equally or more competent model come to challenge it and it will also become an 'also ran' like Civic, Accord, Jazz and CRV.
The same can be said about any cars and is a big generalization. Bring in a well priced competitor and no car would remain uncontested segment leaders.

Civic trumped Corolla when it came in and that made Toyota price their newer version better. Maybe the current sales will make Honda change their next Civic model VFM. Accord is not an also ran - in fact there's a stiff competition between Accord and Superb with each claiming alternate months. Again - Skoda realized the previous Superb didn't fly and brought a more featured, better priced version.

Competition is good for us customers - if we look over the brand loyalties.
SkyWalker is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 13:56   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[COLOR=black]OH MY GOD... I AM ONE IN 50000 ;-)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Kudos to Honda!!! Itís a classic example of how product superiority can pay you premium. It shows how quality can be factor irrespective of price. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]But I am sure Honda must be worrying on Honda city eating up civic numbers. I have seen lot many people walking out with City automatic while they went in to showroom with civic in mind. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Lets see whats Hondaís strategy for civic.[/COLOR]
mailmishra is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 17:17   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 648
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
The same can be said about any cars and is a big generalization. Bring in a well priced competitor and no car would remain uncontested segment leaders.

Competition is good for us customers - if we look over the brand loyalties.
Definitely competition is good for all of us. We get better products at lower price. We can just see how Indian telecom sector revolutionized.

I dont think VW polo sedan will be any cheaper than Honda. VW also known for quality and refined product most likey to price it in same price bracket. And VW is known all over the world for high cost of maintenance.
shamanth is offline  
Old 1st December 2009, 18:05   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Dippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

From Honda's official press release. Not surprising that the CRV is not selling

Quote:
HSCI records 31.7% increase in sales during fiscal period April-November 2009


New Delhi, December 01, 2009: Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI), leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, sold 39,555 units during the fiscal year period April-November 09 as against 30,032 units during the same period last year recording an increase of 31.7%.

The company sold 5,125 units in the month of November '09 as against 5,025 units sold during the corresponding month last year recording an increase of 2%.

During the month of November, the third generation Honda City crossed the significant milestone of selling more than 50,000 units in 12 months.

Model wise sales break-up: City: 3856; Civic: 551; Accord: 172; Jazz: 546. There were no dispatches for Honda CR-V during November 09.
Dippy is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PICS - Modified Honda Citys and Vtecs GTO Modifications & Accessories 982 26th June 2016 12:07
Where are the driver-oriented cars? The Honda Citys, Lancers, Balenos etc.? GTO The Indian Car Scene 130 5th December 2015 16:09
Honda City : Living with the Power of Dreams. Report @ 75,000 kms. EDIT: Now Sold cityvic Long-Term Ownership Reviews 73 15th June 2015 19:12
ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU alam86 Sedans 19 16th September 2013 15:59
The RACE lies WiThIn ....my pre-worshipped ANHC. Update: Now SOLD. GeekSrik Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 155 27th August 2010 21:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks