Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2009, 10:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

It is not as if Maruti's success continues by sheer momentum. They do give a quality (for the price) that is well accepted by the Indian buyer. The other attributes such as reliability, inexpensive maintenance and good resale value are merely corollaries of this basic fact.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:23   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitss View Post
People opt for Maruti for the sake of safe buy.
No one is forced to go for a Maruti product. Except in the Alto segment or sub segment rather, you have at least one alternate choice to go for if not more.

Quote:
Good dealer network, strong after sales and services and a fairly reliable product.
Hyundai has got decent enough service centres in most cities. It is only in rural areas where they are lacking. But then again more passenger vehicles are sold in urban areas than rural areas. I have owned a Maruti 800 for the past 10 years. Only thing I have replaced in this car during this period are the battery, silencer and tyres other than your regular consumables. Now if u call this fairly reliable, I don't know what you'll call reliable. As far as reliability goes Maruti is up there in the top league. Heck you could buy another brand new Maruti for the money you spend on running repairs for your tanks in these 10 years (no offence meant to tank owners) . As far as reliability goes no Hyundai can hold a candle to a similar spec Maruti. Rememeber Accent CRDi engine trouble at 60k . Well a welll maintained 800 could do 3 lakh km before you touch the engine. How's that for reliability. This comes from a car that cost less than 1/3rd of the Accent.

Quote:
However Maruti products are feature less products when compared to competition. Hyundai offers much better quality and features on their products.
I agree that Hyundai offers quality product over Maruti WRT interior plastics and overall build quality(read rattle free). For this there are charging a premium of at least 30k on the product price. So this should offset the difference. For features like power windows Maruti offers a kit for that, which can be installed on an Lxi model. So it can be done at the dealer end and you get a MGA product.

Quote:
Maruti had its share of success because there was no strong competition in the past. I see Hyundai threatening Maruti's position in future and expect the sales figures of Hyundai to surpass Maruti's
Agreed. Though Hyundai have been here for more than 10 years, they were on a learning curve. The have hit the nail head on with the i10. The i10 is the bets compromise in its segment currently. I say compromise because Maruti has messed up big time with the AStar. The i10 is not fuel efficient for its size. Since the WagonR and Estilo are older products they are left to fight with the Santro/Spark. The AStar which was meant to take the fight to the i10 1.1 is struggling because Maruti completely misread one of the key market requirements here (read interior space). Although they have made amends with the Ritz, that is in a segment higher and will battle with the i10 Kappa. Maruti, being the market leader should have been proacive rather than reactive.

Last edited by longhorn : 17th December 2009 at 11:27.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Hyundai has got decent enough service centres in most cities. It is only in rural areas where they are lacking. But then again more passenger vehicles are sold in urban areas than rural areas.
This is what I had mentioned. Hyundai sales will out run Maruti sales in future when it has more market penetration (Rural market as well)

Quote:
I have owned a Maruti 800 for the past 10 years. Only thing I have replaced in this car during this period are the battery, silencer and tyres other than your regular consumables. Now if u call this fairly reliable, I don't know what you'll call reliable.
Even I have own a M800 from past 6.5years and even I am very happy with it. A very good car for the price at which it comes.

Quote:
I agree that Hyundai offers quality product over Maruti WRT interior plastics and overall build quality(read rattle free). For this there are charging a premium of at least 30k on the product price.
Again this is what I meant by better quality and of course quality comes at a price. The mindset of Indian customers are changing. Indians are now willing to pay a bit extra for a better quality product.

Quote:
Agreed. Though Hyundai have been here for more than 10 years, they were on a learning curve. The have hit the nail head on with the i10. The i10 is the bets compromise in its segment currently. I say compromise because Maruti has messed up big time with the AStar. The i10 is not fuel efficient for its size. Since the WagonR and Estilo are older products they are left to fight with the Santro/Spark. The AStar which was meant to take the fight to the i10 1.1 is struggling because Maruti completely misread one of the key market requirements here (read interior space). Although they have made amends with the Ritz, that is in a segment higher and will battle with the i10 Kappa. Maruti, being the market leader should have been proacive rather than reactive.
Today Maruti is doing good, but as you said Maruti has to be proactive rather than reactive. I am a proud owner of a Maruti and would like Maruti to retain its position. However by looking at Hyundai's products and A.S.S, it is for sure that Maruti has to pull up is socks and keep a close watch on Hyundai.

I do not intend to start a war between Maruti and Hyundai.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not intend to start a war between Maruti and Hyundai.
Hey chill dude ! No offence meant to Maruti or Hyundai owners. I was just trying to bring on the facts. Maruti scores over Hyundai in reliability, FE, maintenance costs and resale value. Hyundai scores over Maruti in interior plastics, rear seat space, rear seat ride comfort and overall build quality. So its just a question of what parameters are more important to you. You won't be way off with either of their products.
Old 1st January 2010, 18:24   #65
BHPian

Default Dec Car sales

December 09 has been spectacular for Maruti recording a 50% growth. Detailed segment wise sales is as below.

Hyundai also has grown by around 42% with a total sale of 47.2K (domestic at 22.2k and exports at 25K).

Source: Company Websites
Attached Images

Old 1st January 2010, 23:15   #66
BHPian

Some more news on Dec 09 sales.

Car sales jump in December - Corporate News - livemint.com
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:18   #67
BHPian

Just read somewhere Chevy Beat sold around 850 units in Decemeber..is it already on sale. GM has sold approx. 8000 units this December a growth of more than 100% in comparison to same period last year.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Dear aaggoswami

Great summary of the sheet.

Made reading compelling.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors reports over 100 per cent growth in sales- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Looks like Fiat sales are down to 1008 units in Dec '09, wonder what the reason could be.
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:26   #70
BHPian

Read in the papers today that Indica brand sales are down to 4200 odd numbers in December. Anybody know the reason?
Production delays? or the old model has been put to rest and these numbers are only for the Vista?
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Read in the papers today that Indica brand sales are down to 4200 odd numbers in December. Anybody know the reason?
Production delays? or the old model has been put to rest and these numbers are only for the Vista?

I was also wondering, what happened to the sales of the Indica. It almost halved as compared to the previous months. The sales numbers for Indica are now even less than the Indigo. Same is the case for Fiat vehicles
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I too read about Indica sales. I think 4200 is too low for Indica to be a MoM decline whcih usually sells 9000-10000 every month.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Honda Car India : Press Releases

Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI) Ltd., leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, sold 4,061 units and registered growth of 10.71% increase in sales in the month of December 2009 as against 3,668 units sold during the corresponding month last year.

The cumulative sales of the company during the fiscal year period April-Decemberí 09 was 43,626 units as against 33,700 units sold during the same period last year marking an increase of 30% in sales.

Model wise sales break-up:
City: 3269
Jazz: 269
Civic: 363
Accord: 113
CR-V: 47
Old 4th January 2010, 11:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI) Ltd., leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, sold 4,061 units and registered growth of 10.71% increase in sales in the month of December 2009 as against 3,668 units sold during the corresponding month last year.

The cumulative sales of the company during the fiscal year period April-Decemberí 09 was 43,626 units as against 33,700 units sold during the same period last year marking an increase of 30% in sales.

Jazz Sales figures of 269 are abysmally low, Honda must have piled up lot inventory in the stock yard Ö

Wake up Honda reduce prices to get the sales going. Donít kill a wonderful car with your greedy sales strategy.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Accord: 113
CR-V: 47
Honda's performance has been relatively less impressive considering the huge growth numbers others have posted. Also looks like Jazz is moving from bad to worse. 270 Nos is pathetic performance to say the least.

Also 1008 nos for Fiat. This is another disappointing story. Linea itself use to sell 1000 Nos and now even with Punto the total number is just 1k. That is really bad
Closed Thread